Minimum riding gear for Ladakh ride

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
No such problems with the ones from DSG. But I believe both these gloves are strictly for cold weather/rain in cold weather. So a person would need another pair which can work in both rain and hot weather.
Yeah,i use mine only for winter rides,rest of the year,they just sit idle.
you would get burns on your hands if you wear them in summers.

a.jain

Hi Guys, I am going to Leh on my duke on 14th July. This will be my first tour on a bike, so I am a bit apprehensive about the gear. I have already bought cramster stallion saddle bags, fox waterproof gloves(bomber, I think), waterproof overpants, etc. But I can't decide on the boots, I had a look at orazo(did't like them), A*(too expensive). So, I was thinking of getting ankle high Hiking shoes, and have shortlisted Quechua Forclaz 500 and 600, and Head 910 high tr. Will the upper of these shoes get damaged because of the constant gear shifting, any remedies for it.
I also have a Joe Rocket Blaster 4.0 Leather jacket, but it is quite heavy(thinking about it just for the added safety), and will have to use a waterproof jacket over it. will it be suitable for such a long and difficult trip, or a normal waterproof jacket with thermal liner be a better option.
Please give your views on the above, and help me out as I am really confused.

Avoid heavy clothing/jackets. A regular waterproof riding jacket with thermal liner should be sufficient and try the boots from Cramster, if they are still available.

docjoe

Sarvatra Vijay
Hello all,
I want to know what is the minimum riding gear required for a trip from Manali to Leh. I dont want to spend much on this as I am not a regular biker and if I buy all the stuff, when it will be used again. Also suggest any renting options are available for this. I am travelling to leh from 2nd Aug 2010. Please help me. Awaiting reply.
Hi there, Tejas
I did the Leh trip from 12 June till 23 June this year. Here are my two bits. Opinions are like a*******s so they differ but have the same function...
Personal gear

Helmet A good,comfy lid with a clear visor (wear high quality sunglasses under it). AGV/CROSS/BIEFFE-Steelbird - all are good. It must be a cosy NOT tight fit so if cold, a balaclava can still be worn under it. (I used a CROSS minus the b'clava)

Jacket - a normal winter jacket (outer of thickish nylon/Dacron if possible) with an inner liner will do. If cold, a thermal inner under the shirt + jacket cum liner + rain coat upper (as a wind shield and for rain). If still cold, a thin sweater over the shirt and the rest. (I have a SCOYCO riding jacket with detachable armour which I used minus the armour. On the Leh - Pang stretch, I wore a woolen shirt + jacket inner liner + jacket + rain upper and still was cold due to extremely stiff and frigid headwinds.)

Gloves. Major issues here. For warm days, a normal leather set will do. For cold, normal set + fleece inners. (I used my old gloves most of the time and when cold, the inners and if yet colder, a DSG set.) No surgical/industrial gloves - they conduct cold inwards and give you hell. You will keep changing them en-route so have all sets within easy reach.

Trousers A pair of thick jeans will do. If cold, rain coat lower as a wind break.

Rain coat The executive model or something like that from Duckback is superb. Take one size plus to fit over other clothing.

Footwear One pair of sneakers for town walking + one pair of gumboots for riding. No footwear other than gumboots will keep feet dry. (I have used the so-called Army boots for 25 years so know enough not to use them for biking. I used my trusted Reeboks for town and gumboots for riding thru' slush, snow and streams, no hassles.) We saw bikers with Forzas and what not getting wet AND cold to the bone in even the shallowest streams and envying us our gumboots.

Socks Nylon + cotton + woolen in that sequence as per cold felt.

Bike

Tank bag The Cramster model is good. Holds lots and still is compact. Can be used as a slingbag in town. (I used this one with a 1 inch thick inner foam base to support cameras, cellphone and binos plus gloves etc)

Saddle bags If so inclined. Else, a normal nylon soft luggage bag approx 24 inches X 12 inches X 18 inches (L X B X Depth) can be bungeed nicely LENGTHWISE on the pillion and obviate the need for saddlebags. Caveat - ALL your stuff must be wisely chosen to fit this one bag alone. (I used Cramster tank and saddle bags plus the above duffel bag. Tried the rig without the saddle bag, worked perfectly well)

Plastic sheet A medium thickness sheet about 6ft X 4 feet to cover the baggage in rain.

I am not getting into the issue of elbow pads and knee pads here. I have had two surgeries in my right knee so cannot wear knee pads for extended durations. My jacket has elbow pads but I detached them for the ride. My rationale (more about that later) may not appeal to all but it works for me.

Any more help, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Maneesh

Last edited:
Hi there, Tejas
I did the Leh trip from 12 June till 23 June this year. Here are my two bits. Opinions are like a*******s so they differ but have the same function...
Personal gear

Helmet A good,comfy lid with a clear visor (wear high quality sunglasses under it). AGV/CROSS/BIEFFE-Steelbird - all are good. It must be a cosy NOT tight fit so if cold, a balaclava can still be worn under it. (I used a CROSS minus the b'clava)

Jacket - a normal winter jacket (outer of thickish nylon/Dacron if possible) with an inner liner will do. If cold, a thermal inner under the shirt + jacket cum liner + rain coat upper (as a wind shield and for rain). If still cold, a thin sweater over the shirt and the rest. (I have a SCOYCO riding jacket with detachable armour which I used minus the armour. On the Leh - Pang stretch, I wore a woolen shirt + jacket inner liner + jacket + rain upper and still was cold due to extremely stiff and frigid headwinds.)

Gloves. Major issues here. For warm days, a normal leather set will do. For cold, normal set + fleece inners. (I used my old gloves most of the time and when cold, the inners and if yet colder, a DSG set.) No surgical/industrial gloves - they conduct cold inwards and give you hell. You will keep changing them en-route so have all sets within easy reach.

Trousers A pair of thick jeans will do. If cold, rain coat lower as a wind break.

Rain coat The executive model or something like that from Duckback is superb. Take one size plus to fit over other clothing.

Footwear One pair of sneakers for town walking + one pair of gumboots for riding. No footwear other than gumboots will keep feet dry. (I have used the so-called Army boots for 25 years so know enough not to use them for biking. I used my trusted Reeboks for town and gumboots for riding thru' slush, snow and streams, no hassles.) We saw bikers with Forzas and what not getting wet AND cold to the bone in even the shallowest streams and envying us our gumboots.

Socks Nylon + cotton + woolen in that sequence as per cold felt.

Bike

Tank bag The Cramster model is good. Holds lots and still is compact. Can be used as a slingbag in town. (I used this one with a 1 inch thick inner foam base to support cameras, cellphone and binos plus gloves etc)

Saddle bags If so inclined. Else, a normal nylon soft luggage bag approx 24 inches X 12 inches X 18 inches (L X B X Depth) can be bungeed nicely LENGTHWISE on the pillion and obviate the need for saddlebags. Caveat - ALL your stuff must be wisely chosen to fit this one bag alone. (I used Cramster tank and saddle bags plus the above duffel bag. Tried the rig without the saddle bag, worked perfectly well)

Plastic sheet A medium thickness sheet about 6ft X 4 feet to cover the baggage in rain.

I am not getting into the issue of elbow pads and knee pads here. I have had two surgeries in my right knee so cannot wear knee pads for extended durations. My jacket has elbow pads but I detached them for the ride. My rationale (more about that later) may not appeal to all but it works for me.

Any more help, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Maneesh
As always, detailed info explained in a superb way.

Thanks for the info Sir.:)

By the way, when is your log going to start ?

ArunPawar

A woodland or similar style of shoe would never provide similar level of protection as a proper riding shoe! Heck I either fractured or tore a ligament (will never know what it was, since I never got it checked by a doc) in the thumb of my right side foot, while en route to Leh in 2006 and I had to do entire ride with that painful thumb and it was only 7-8months, did I managed to get full movement in it!

Woodlands have protected me in quite a few crashes, but that crash at 7-8kmph was enough to prove to me that these aren't really a substitute to proper riding boots.
Nice Info About Riding Gear And Best Thought on Riding Shoes

A[k]

AkshayA
Jacket is a must, a good riding Jacket starts from 6K. I don't know why this seller is giving away gears like free. Riding jacket would eliminate the elbow guards as jacket will have in built elbow and shoulder protection. Knee guards are however needed.

Looks like a sham to me to be honest. And these probiker gloves aren't going to be very useful (by the looks of it). You need some good protection along with nice winter gloves. Riding gear is anyways best purchased offline after trying it on.

Cheers
Akshay

IceAge

CBR250R ABS !!
Jacket is a must, a good riding Jacket starts from 6K. I don't know why this seller is giving away gears like free. Riding jacket would eliminate the elbow guards as jacket will have in built elbow and shoulder protection. Knee guards are however needed.

Looks like a sham to me to be honest. And these probiker gloves aren't going to be very useful (by the looks of it). You need some good protection along with nice winter gloves. Riding gear is anyways best purchased offline after trying it on.

Cheers
Akshay
This FOX stuffs are utter nonsense. Just good for starters but not for touring or hard core rider. Save some and get a better jacket for self.