Mirrorless Interchangable lens cameras..... Opinions sought.

lucifer

The Dark Lord of the Sith
Not really, a cam like IXUS 130IS, which costs 10k, comes with an aperture of f2.8 at wide angle.
Yes, but with a crop factor of ~ 13 (w.r.t an APS-C sized sensor) due to its small sensor size (6.2mm x 4.3mm) that is equivalent to an aperture of 36.4 for an APS-C sized sensor. f2.8 may appear to be huge but it will not give you any out of focus areas that f/3.5 on a DSLR with a 1.6x crop factor will.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Most of the time it isn't just about out of focus area, one needs wide aperture to shoot at low light conditions at decent enough shutter speed. In any case, if it is subject separation one is looking at, then even a 50mm f1.8 isn't able to provide it to satisfaction (unless one is taking head shots) and it is only when one buys a longer focal length primes and wide fixed aperture zooms (read real expensive), that one gets proper subject separation and good out of focus effect. And that is something, which is beyond the scope of vast majority of entry level DSLR buyers!

lucifer

Exactly and most often than not, exploiting a DSLR to its max capability involves purchasing of lenses...
Yes, and no. Most of us never fully exploit the set-up that we own. We only think we can take better pictures only if we had better gear. It took me a while to realise that the camera does not matter. It is the person behind it who does. A 22.5k 1000D made me learn that. In fact, I have taken better pictures with a Kodak film point and shoot.

Most of the time it isn't just about out of focus area, one needs wide aperture to shoot at low light conditions at decent enough shutter speed...
On a sensor as small as that, even f2.8 will not gather enough light. Bumping up the ISO would add to the noise. A 10MP resolution on a smaller sensor is noisier than a 10MP resolution on a larger sensor, all things being equal.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Yes, and no. Most of us never fully exploit the set-up that we own. We only think we can take better pictures only if we had better gear. It took me a while to realise that the camera does not matter. It is the person behind it who does. A 22.5k 1000D made me learn that. In fact, I have taken better pictures with a Kodak film point and shoot.
True that and I never have any remorse in admitting instances, where my earlier point and shoot triumphed! Having said that, there isn't any real alternative for f2.8, when you need it!

On a sensor as small as that, even f2.8 will not gather enough light. Bumping up the ISO would add to the noise. A 10MP resolution on a smaller sensor is noisier than a 10MP resolution on a larger sensor, all things being equal.
True, but then again, a f3.5 lens isn't all that bright either.

lucifer

...there isn't any real alternative for f2.8, when you need it!

True, but then again, a f3.5 lens isn't all that bright either.
f3.5 on an APS-C sized sensor will still gather more light than f2.8 on a compact. The crop factor works for both aperture and focal length. If you are multiplying a focal length of 10mm by 13 to get the equivalent crop factor, then the aperture will also undergo a similar reduction. f3.5 on a full frame will be brighter than f3.5 on crop bodies.

lucifer

So you mean to say, if I use my 50mm on a 5D Mark II, then its f1.8 would be brighter than on my 1000D?
Yes. Brighter when you look through the viewfinder since the viewfinder is bigger. But also brighter w.r.t the sensor. It is not really a fair comparison. Let's just say that if both sensors were 10MP, even then the f1.8 would gather more light on the larger sensor.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Forget megapixel count, viewfinder etc. and lets just concentrate on the sensor. And let me understand what you are implying here:

Canon 5D MarkII + Canon EF 50mm f1.8 @ f1.8, 1/200, ISO100 would end up producing a brighter image than a Canon 7D + Canon EF 50mm f1.8 @ f1.8, 1/200, ISO100 in identical lighting condition?

singhgp62

Thank you very much 'Lucifer' and Yogesh Sarkar. I don't know much about the physics of optics in the science of photography, yet I tried my best to assimilate what you both have said.

Would like to know where from I can learn more about the topic of physics and optics in photography.... the best I ever try is from the Wikipedia on the net. Any other sites you can suggest?

Still one question remains unanswered--- Is the picture quality in Mirrorless interchangable lens cameras comparable to a DSLR like Nikon 3100 or Canon 550D?
Would love to have opinion of others too on this subject as well as what both you guys have posted before
Gurpreet S