Mumbai - Spiti Valley [June 2022]

amitc

... the SUV 'nut'
Friends, please guide..

I like to start planning early. Plan is for 3 friends to undertake the above journey: Mumbai - Delhi - Shimla - Spiti Valley - Rohtang - Manali - Delhi - Mumbai starting June 3rd week. We have 3 weeks in hand. Some questions:

1. When will Chandratal lake open?
2. What mobile connections are available in Spiti valley? I use Jio.
3. The Internet is flooded with package tour planners for Spiti Valley. Should I use them or just book each location stay myself? Will you be able to guide?
4. I have done Mumbai - Ladakh before. Quite familiar with Delhi / Shimla belt. Please guide me for the trip Shimla - Spiti Valley and back. Where would you recommend I stay starting Shimla?
5. Any other location nearby that I should not miss to visit?
6. One of my friends is a US passport holder. Will there be permit related issues?
7. Can we visit Chitkul as part of the trip?

That's all for now. I may have a few more questions later. Many thanks in advance!

dichkaun

Friends, please guide..
I like to start planning early. Plan is for 3 friends to undertake the above journey: Mumbai - Delhi - Shimla - Spiti Valley - Rohtang - Manali - Delhi - Mumbai starting June 3rd week. We have 3 weeks in hand. Some questions:
3. The Internet is flooded with package tour planners for Spiti Valley. Should I use them or just book each location stay myself? Will you be able to guide?
4. I have done Mumbai - Ladakh before. Quite familiar with Delhi / Shimla belt. Please guide me for the trip Shimla - Spiti Valley and back. Where would you recommend I stay starting Shimla?
6. One of my friends is a US passport holder. Will there be permit related issues?

That's all for now. I may have a few more questions later. Many thanks in advance!
Mostly

Last I visited in 2017, there was only BSNL. Not sure now.

If you manage your itinerary yourself, you'll have more control and option to tweak as you go along. It is more effort though.
Tour planners will give you a cookie cutter itinerary.

There are many options - Chitkul, Sangla, Peo, Sangla, Nako, Tabo, Pin, Kaza. Based on your pace, you can pick and choose. Just don't try to do long stretches in one day.

Personally, I would suggest to not go after the so called "must visit places". Based on your interests you may like some places and not others.

Yes he/she will need a permit. which can be taken from DM office in Shimla or Manali.

yes.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Your earlier Questions were :
Q :
Friends, we are planning a trip to the Spiti Valley in 2022 around April - June. What will be a good timeframe to choose and how many days should I plan for a trip starting Mumbai on a Pajero?

Ans:
If you move daily for 12 hours then you will be able to touch Himachal Pradesh in 2 days.
To enter Spiti take 1 more day.
6 days for only going and coming back.
Rest 4-5 days should be in hand to stop at places of choice.
You can go till Kaza.
Chandrataal may open in Late June depending on Snow conditions.
You have to return via same route as Manali Route may be closed.

Experts can pin point more details.

Spiti Map

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting

In June 2nd half, if weather permits.

Jio reached till Kaza last year.
Jio can be reliable now.

No need to take any package.
Only problem you may face is booking of hotels or Corona issue.
Most of the places have Home Stays too.
You can move ahead or back and try to get accommodation around 4pm only to avoid any booking problem.
Read links given in point No.4 to get idea of staying places.

Stay at Shimla itself for Foreigner's Permit from SDM Office in working days.
Others can guide better for stays.

Link for stay is Spiti :
Reda this Log : New Year at the Middle Land – Winter Spiti

@Alpha can guide better.

@Suneesh Sharma
Spiti Circuit

@gauravtalan
Suggestions: Spiti Circuit with my 2 year old daughter

Keep Kinnaur Spiti Circuit in your mind.
If you can move towards Manali then go to that side otherwise return via same route.
You can try for Chanshal Pass also in return, if it is open.

You need Permit for a Foreign National.
Permit can be taken from Shimla, SDM Office or 1 place in Spiti.It may be Chitkul or which one. I will confirm later.

Yes

Last edited:

amitc

... the SUV 'nut'
Many thanks, friends! This is really helpful! Let me put my thoughts together and come back if I have more questions. I will digest all the information for now.

BSNL works in almost all areas of Spiti and Lahaul. Jio has starting working in some areas. BSNL is more reliable in this part of Himachal.

I would recommend you to plan you own itinerary if you have time on your hands. Most operator offer almost same itinerary of the Spiti circuit.

Here is the most unique itinerary I found on internet.

https://raachotrekkers.com/spiti-valley-tour-package/

Here are some places I recommend you visit.

• Kamru village and fort.
  • Batseri village.
  • Roghi village.
  • Chango village.
  • Pin valley.

amitc

... the SUV 'nut'
Thank you all, so much! I am able to build a picture of the location now, places to visit and the night stays.

1) What about diesel availability along the route?
2) Is it advisable not to do any pre bookings and decide where we want to stay on that day? The reason I say this is, there are so many villages, monasteries, sanctuaries, etc. along the way that it may be difficult to plan very minutely where I am going to spend the night sitting here in Mumbai. That may give us some freedom.
3) Are there western toilets in these villages? We would like to stay comfortably, one of my friends is visiting from the US.
4) We plan to leave on 1 June from Mumbai, so that Chandertal, etc. will all be open and we can see all the recommended locations. I hope the dates are suitable.

dichkaun

#1 - Fuel is there till at Peo and then at Kaza. After that in Manali.
#2 - Its your preference. Booking as you go gives you more flexibility. Pre-booking gives more certainty.
#3 - Western toilets are quite common.
#4 - No guarantees, all depends on weather.