Mumbai to North Sikkim by Car

spandit

Avid traveler, loves road trips
hi Rajat, 16 days is good enough. I did drive on snowed roads and its ok in a non 4x4. of course you have to drive carefully. Which part of north east are you planning? My suggestion would be Bhutan or Arunanchal Pradesh or west sikkim. if you are looking more around Himalayas, try Munsyari in Uttarakhand. I did a road trip to that place in Dec 2014 and it was awesome. my next choice would be Bhutan.

spandit

Hi Deepam, thank you. the easiest way to do such trips is to start driving! I promise you will not regret it.

rajat667

hi Rajat, 16 days is good enough. I did drive on snowed roads and its ok in a non 4x4. of course you have to drive carefully. Which part of north east are you planning? My suggestion would be Bhutan or Arunanchal Pradesh or west sikkim. if you are looking more around Himalayas, try Munsyari in Uttarakhand. I did a road trip to that place in Dec 2014 and it was awesome. my next choice would be Bhutan.
Hey SP,

Definitely planning Himalayas but am concerned on the weather conditions as it's going to be late December. The lake you visited looks awesome. Which all places require permits? Can I initiate something remotely before being their personally? Do you have any local contact who might help?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

spandit

hi Rajat, weather conditions in late December wont be that bad. i went to the himalays thrice in late Dec and it was perfect. of course its going to be cold :) you need permits in North Sikkim and Arunanchal. for Arunanchal you can take the permit online, and for North Sikkim you can either take from Gangtok or from a small place called Mangan, which is about 25 kms away from Gangtok. its much easier to get the permit in Mangan.

sandeep.12

Nice travelogue. One question. Did you face issues with permits to lachung, gurudongmar and lachen. I heard they won’t issue permits for out station 4 wheeler.

dicor_dada

Very nice travelogue. It certainly encourages us to take this trip. I've few questions
1. Is your Duster AWD? If no, does at any point of time you felt need of it?
2. How about permit procedures? Did you take them on the spot?

Engine light is very scary. I got engine light on same route 3 years ago on my Verito. 1.5 dci engine. Fortunately it was only faulty heater plug. Reno engine is very sturdy engine and can last upto several lakh KMs.