Munsyari - Binsar - Chaukori 6 days Itinerary help needed!

Harishhari

Hi BCMTians,

After a lot of juggling between deciding where to go for our honeymoon from Kashmir, Kerala, Himachal, I have finalized towards visiting Kumaon region of Uttarkhand with my wife during the end of June from Bangalore. I can only manage 8 days at the max for this trip. Provided I get to Delhi by 9 or 10 in the morning on day 1 and my return flight on day 8 is no earlier than 6 in the evening, can you kindly help me chart a good itinerary covering Munsyari, Binsar, Chaukori? From my own research, I have made a draft itinerary but I need your help to fine tune it.

Day 1 - Early morning flight - Bangalore -> Delhi -> Nainital/Kathgodam via bus/taxi/train
Day 2 - Nainital/Kathgodam -> Binsar
Day 3 - Binsar
Day 4 - Binsar -> Munsyari
Day 5 - Munsyari
Day 6 - Munsyari -> Chaukori
Day 7 - Chaukori -> Nainital
Day 8 - Nainital -> Delhi via bus/taxi/train -> Bangalore - late evening flight

Kindly let me know if we will be spending lot of time on the road, also how will the the road conditions be considering it may be beginning of monsoon. Also let me know the best way to get there from Delhi to save time, should I pre-book hotels or I can find hotels on the go. I have never been to that part of Uttarkhand so any other recommendations is welcome. We like nature and wouldn't mind small treks.

Thanks

I have been to Binsar and Munsiyari, so can advise about the places.

1. Binsar the best place to stay is the KVMN guest house. The accommodation is basic but they have the best location

2. Munsiyari is a small town, but the view of the snow-capped hills is excellent from the city. I had stayed in the Kmvn guest house. Other hotels are also available.

3. I would suggest you book your accommodation before in advance.

4. I would suggest that you remove one destination from your itinerary as you are travelling every day and the trip would be very tiring.

5. Check the status of the monsoons if you are traveling in Jun end. Last year on my mana trip I got stuck near Chamoli for two nights due to landslides caused by rains. This was in early July.

Travel safe.

Harishhari

I have been to Binsar and Munsiyari, so can advise about the places.

1. Binsar the best place to stay is the KVMN guest house. The accommodation is basic but they have the best location

2. Munsiyari is a small town, but the view of the snow-capped hills is excellent from the city. I had stayed in the Kmvn guest house. Other hotels are also available.

3. I would suggest you book your accommodation before in advance.

4. I would suggest that you remove one destination from your itinerary as you are travelling every day and the trip would be very tiring.

5. Check the status of the monsoons if you are traveling in Jun end. Last year on my mana trip I got stuck near Chamoli for two nights due to landslides caused by rains. This was in early July.

Travel safe.
Thanks Krishnan. Munsyari is probably the place I may have to skip because of its distance but that's the place that drew me to visit this region. If I skip it I think I can add kausani. So leaving 2 days for traveling to/from the kumaon leaves me with 6 days. Would it makes sense for me spend 2 days in Binsar, 2 days in Nainital, 1 day each in Kausani and Chaokori?

So the modified itinerary looks like
Day 1 - Flight to Delhi, Overnight train/bus to Kathgodam
Day 2 - Nainital
Day 3 - Nainital to Binsar
Day 4 - Binsar
Day 5 - Chaokori
Day 6 - Chaukori to Kausani
Day 7 - Kausani to Kathgodam, overnight bus/train to Delhi
Day 8 - Return flight to Bangalore

Harishhari

Also, I'm reading at many places that it is better to spend time at Mukteshwar/Seetla visiting bhimtal, naukuchiatal on the way and skip nainital that way I would be closer towards Binsar, Almora, Kausani. If I do that, what could be itinerary?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
The only option for you at 9-10am arrival in Delhi would be to catch the 11:30 UTC Volvo from Anand Vihar to Haldwani. Otherwise, you will have to wait till evening for bus or train. Hiring a taxi would be a little more expensive, but more suitable option.

Another option is to hire a self-drive car and travel to Uttarakhand on your own.

Unless you just have to visit Nainital or are reaching late in the evening, my suggestion would skip it and head to Mukteshwar instead.

Rest of the itinerary can be worked out, based on what you choose to do initially.

Harishhari

The only option for you at 9-10am arrival in Delhi would be to catch the 11:30 UTC Volvo from Anand Vihar to Haldwani. Otherwise, you will have to wait till evening for bus or train. Hiring a taxi would be a little more expensive, but more suitable option.

Another option is to hire a self-drive car and travel to Uttarakhand on your own.

Unless you just have to visit Nainital or are reaching late in the evening, my suggestion would skip it and head to Mukteshwar instead.

Rest of the itinerary can be worked out, based on what you choose to do initially.
Thanks Yogesh for your suggestion. I have 8 days starting from 23rd June till 30th June and depending on what route/mode of transport works I can book my flight tickets based on that, either early morning to Delhi so as to take a bus/taxi or late afternoon flights to catch an overnight train/bus. I want to make good use of these 8 days.

Suppose we rent a taxi from Delhi once we land around 9 or 10 how long would it take to reach Nainital or Mukteshwar from Delhi? Would it be too tiring?

If we are just going to reach, lets say Mukteshwar, by late evening would it better off to take the overnight train/bus to Kathogoad and then hire a taxi from there to Mukteshwar? That way we will not be traveling early morning from Bangalore to Delhi and then drive the whole day to get to Mukteshwar

Harishhari

If I completely skip Nainital, it would be 2N in Binsar, 1N each in Kausani, Chaukori and Mukteshwar. Would it also be better to cover either Kausani/Binsar from Kathgodam and cover Mukteshwar on our way back. Kindly let me know what sightseeing can be done on the way to/in Kausani and Chaukori.

With regards to hotels since this is our honeymoon, I don't mind spending a little more(5-10k) if it adds a bit more comforts and luxury. How is Binsar Forest retreat at Binsar? Are the views similar or is the view at KVMN at Binsar the best. I see many recommending KVMN Binsar for its views. The forest retreat has some trails and I wanted to do one of them for about 3-4 hours. If we stay at KVMN, can we still do any trails?

oriole12

Nature Lover
I too feel that for a Honeymoon trip, you have packed in far too many destinations. After all, packing up luggage every day and catching a bus is not the ideal way to celebrate Honeymoon. Nainital and Binsar only would be my suggestion!

Harishhari

I too feel that for a Honeymoon trip, you have packed in far too many destinations. After all, packing up luggage every day and catching a bus is not the ideal way to celebrate Honeymoon. Nainital and Binsar only would be my suggestion!
How should I spread the 6 full days I will have in this region?