My Classic 350 Motorcycle Diaries

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered
After 8 days of complete rest, my Blue Bird electric-started at the first crank itself this evening.
She will be going to the company-owned service station on 18 July 2013 for the second free service.

Last edited:

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered
She will be going to the company-owned service station on 18 July 2013 for the second free service.
Today, my Blue Bird got her second free servicing done at the company-owned service centre, OMR, Chennai, after completion of 3 months and 2460 km. There was no complaint from my side. I was not charged as there was no oil change involved.

pskanp

Has anybody tried Softer compounds direct fit tyres for TB 500? What is their life (approx/expected) & performance..?

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered
Re: My TB500's Tank's Inside Painted - Already Peeling Off

Stray cats freely roam around my Chennai home. Recently, one such cat managed to climb on to my Blue Bird's rider seat and slept during a rainy night resulting in some some minor damage to the seat.

DSC09949.jpg

DSC09950.jpg

DSC09952.jpg

DSC09955.jpg

After that incident, my Blue Bird remains covered, when not flying.

DSC09956.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A few weeks back while having petrol, I observed peeling off of the coating of the inside of my Blue Bird's petrol tank. When I rubbed my finger on the surface of the petrol tank's mouth, a layer of the coating came out along with my finger.

DSC09945.jpg

DSC09947.jpg

When my Blue Bird went to the company-owned service centre, OMR, Chennai, for the second free service on 18 July 2013, I witnessed the security guy checking the fuel levels of all Royal Enfields by dipping a scale. I saw all the petrol tanks of all other bikes were clean and neat without any signs of peeling off of coating. Why is that coating on the inside of my Thunderbird 500's petrol tank only peeling off, when others' are clean and neat? The service advisors did not have any answers for my query and consoled me not to worry. Unfortunately, the service manager was not available on that day. I made them mention it in the job card. I was told that they took some photographs of the petrol tank, they would discuss it with the service manager and I would be contacted later. I waited for 5 days. I did not get any call from anybody.

DSC09948.jpg

PetrolTank.jpg

Yesterday morning, I sent a detailed email to Royal Enfield customer service enclosing these photographs and raising a few questions. Within hours, I got the response from them stating that the service manager would contact me. The service manager called me today and assured me that my Thunderbird 500 Twilight would get a new petrol tank within 7 working days as it was out of stock in the service centre. Now, I keep my fingers crossed hoping that the new tank would be free from the problem of coating peeling off.

Mandar_C500

Super User

Stray cats freely roam around my Chennai home. Recently, one such cat managed to climb on to my Blue Bird's rider seat and slept during a rainy night resulting in some some minor damage to the seat.

After that incident, my Blue Bird remains covered, when not flying.

A few weeks back while having petrol, I observed peeling off of the coating of the inside of my Blue Bird's petrol tank. When I rubbed my finger on the surface of the petrol tank's mouth, a layer of the coating came out along with my finger.

When my Blue Bird went to the company-owned service centre, OMR, Chennai, for the second free service on 18 July 2013, I witnessed the security guy checking the fuel levels of all Royal Enfields by dipping a scale. I saw all the petrol tanks of all other bikes were clean and neat without any signs of peeling off of coating. Why is that coating on the inside of my Thunderbird 500's petrol tank only peeling off, when others' are clean and neat? The service advisors did not have any answers for my query and consoled me not to worry. Unfortunately, the service manager was not available on that day. I made them mention it in the job card. I was told that they took some photographs of the petrol tank, they would discuss it with the service manager and I would be contacted later. I waited for 5 days. I did not get any call from anybody.

Yesterday morning, I sent a detailed email to Royal Enfield customer service enclosing these photographs and raising a few questions. Within hours, I got the response from them stating that the service manager would contact me. The service manager called me today and assured me that my Thunderbird 500 Twilight would get a new petrol tank within 7 working days as it was out of stock in the service centre. Now, I keep my fingers crossed hoping that the new tank would be free from the problem of coating peeling off.
Feel really bad for you, Please put the seat covers ASAP.
Regarding Petrol Tank, its good on the RE part that they trying to provide good service. I had always good experience from RE as a company (not service center).

Ride safe.

Mandar

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered

Regarding Petrol Tank, its good on the RE part that they trying to provide good service.
Thanks a lot, Mandar_C500. I will post the details after completion of the work.

dbssdas

I had no issues of paint peeling off the petrol tank on my bike. However good to hear the people at RE are actually listening now.

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered
I had no issues of paint peeling off the petrol tank on my bike. However good to hear the people at RE are actually listening now.
I saw some new Thunderbird 350s with clean and neat petrol tanks in the service centre. I think, bikes manufactured in some batches have this issue. I think, this is a fit case for recall. I don't know, why Royal Enfield believes in resolution of the problem only if it is raised. :(

oilburner

A NuT On Bike
I saw some new Thunderbird 350s with clean and neat petrol tanks in the service centre. I think, bikes manufactured in some batches have this issue. I think, this is a fit case for recall. I don't know, why Royal Enfield believes in resolution of the problem only if it is raised. :(
thease were hand made bikes till this march or april before RE's new plant started production . the guy who painted your bikes's tank must be a trainee and thinking of painting it inside out with twilight shade so he painted the whole tank with pre coat or epoxy putty inside out . After doing this his senior must have told him the right thing. but that doesnt matter you r getting new tank anyways congrats for that.and check new tank for any small dents or chips or irregular paint surface because they r known for this things.

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered
the guy who painted your bikes's tank must be a trainee and thinking of painting it inside out with twilight shade so he painted the whole tank with pre coat or epoxy putty inside out . After doing this his senior must have told him the right thing.
Yeah, that probability is more! :)
you r getting new tank anyways congrats for that.
Thanks a lot.