My Classic 350 Motorcycle Diaries

SwaGGer

Re: My TB500's Tank's Inside Painted - Already Peeling Off

Stray cats freely roam around my Chennai home. Recently, one such cat managed to climb on to my Blue Bird's rider seat and slept during a rainy night resulting in some some minor damage to the seat.

View attachment 412116

View attachment 412117

View attachment 412118

View attachment 412119

After that incident, my Blue Bird remains covered, when not flying.

View attachment 412120

- - - Updated - - -

A few weeks back while having petrol, I observed peeling off of the coating of the inside of my Blue Bird's petrol tank. When I rubbed my finger on the surface of the petrol tank's mouth, a layer of the coating came out along with my finger.

View attachment 412564

View attachment 412565

When my Blue Bird went to the company-owned service centre, OMR, Chennai, for the second free service on 18 July 2013, I witnessed the security guy checking the fuel levels of all Royal Enfields by dipping a scale. I saw all the petrol tanks of all other bikes were clean and neat without any signs of peeling off of coating. Why is that coating on the inside of my Thunderbird 500's petrol tank only peeling off, when others' are clean and neat? The service advisors did not have any answers for my query and consoled me not to worry. Unfortunately, the service manager was not available on that day. I made them mention it in the job card. I was told that they took some photographs of the petrol tank, they would discuss it with the service manager and I would be contacted later. I waited for 5 days. I did not get any call from anybody.

View attachment 412566

View attachment 412567

Yesterday morning, I sent a detailed email to Royal Enfield customer service enclosing these photographs and raising a few questions. Within hours, I got the response from them stating that the service manager would contact me. The service manager called me today and assured me that my Thunderbird 500 Twilight would get a new petrol tank within 7 working days as it was out of stock in the service centre. Now, I keep my fingers crossed hoping that the new tank would be free from the problem of coating peeling off.
seems like I also need to write to the customer service about the tank's peeling off of my T350. It is the problem with every bird

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered

It is the problem with every bird
Not all; only with some. I observed many new Thunderbirds with clean and neat petrol tanks without coating at the company-owned service station.

oilburner

A NuT On Bike
Wonderful.....! =D>
Pics & 1st ownership feelings please..!
I will post pics tomorrow and for first ride feeling wait till 6sept when I reach India bec I am still in Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all; only with some. I observed many new Thunderbirds with clean and neat petrol tanks without coating at the company-owned service station.
Requesting permission to hijack your thread to post my bike pictures and reviews.

Aayush

Just noticed my tank yesterday, a bit of coating is coming off in my TB 500 as well

oilburner

A NuT On Bike

This is my second TB Got delivery last friday on 26 july 13 my dad and my friend sayantan (bcmt id - votto) took the delivery this is second time happening that I got new bike being here in Australia first one was TB350 last year . Also important thing to note I call all RE bikes as generators because they sound like that or give me a feeling of genset running so no offence to anyone. there is no first ride report for now as still I havent got chance to ride the bike but by the words of my friend this is the most improved version of RE rides excellent sounds much better than TB350 previous version and is good finished bike.During delivery process front wheel was changed with another one because of wobbling, handle T was reported for rust formation underneath they ordered and will replace it. rider seat was changed with another one for some lock problem, handle lock was oiled and few other minor things done.

Note:- Last 6 photos are of my TB 350 that I got last year modified with 18 inch 100-90-18 meteor in rear and 90-90-19 tyre in front same as classic 350 also front dricve sprocket changed with that of cl 350 . Did ladhak and spiti last year on this bike 23 days trip and sold that one off after three months before coming to australia because of itch of TB 500

Attachments

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered

This is my second TB Got delivery last friday on 26 july 13
Congratulations and best wishes, oilburner. Brilliant photographs of an equally brilliant bird. :)
Just noticed my tank yesterday, a bit of coating is coming off in my TB 500 as well
Sorry to hear that. Are you going to raise it with Royal Enfield?

J.Ravi

100% Petrol Powered
My Blue Bird Gets A New Petrol Tank

The service manager called me today and assured me that my Thunderbird 500 Twilight would get a new petrol tank within 7 working days as it was out of stock in the service centre.
Today, my Blue Bird got a new petrol tank fitted at Royal Enfield company-owned service station at OMR, Chennai. The new tank does not have the grey coating.
The service manager Mohanakrishnan was kind enough to call me yesterday evening to inform that the new petrol tank arrived there and requested to me to come and get it replaced. I told him that I would come the next morning [today]. Again, he called this morning to remind me.

DSC09964.jpg

DSC09967.jpg

DSC09976.jpg

DSC09979.jpg

DSC09980.jpg

DSC09981.jpg

DSC09982.jpg

Mohanakrishnan informed me that the new tank is galvanised without the grey coating. I am thankful to Royal Enfield for quickly responding to my complaint and resolving it to my full satisfaction.