My Journey to Leh

Yash Rathore

Hey Kagesh,

It was wonderful to read about day 4.

Also it is such a relief to know that you rode to Leh on Paltina.
I own a Platina and I never thought that riding to Leh on Platina is possible. In fact I was planning to book a new bike next year just to ride there.
Your log is very encouraging.
Waiting for "Day 5".

Khagesh

Yes Yash the bike Platina is a wonderful bike. It never missed even a single heart beat during my trip even while climbing Zozilla and Rothang NER (Leh side) and the powerful cross winds at Rothang. Just have faith on the bike, it would pull through. I have seen bullets whiz pass me in Morey plains, equally getting stuck in that terrible water crossing. That story would unfold later when we reach there. But overall, what I learnt is; not the machine, but our approach which counts the most. Look after her well on each pit stop, you would go a long way.

By the way, its is Pareesh Trehan first who wrote his travelogue having done Leh by Platina which instilled my confidence on the bike.

Last edited:

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Great Trip..............................
Great Off-Roading................
Great Breaks...................
Great Moves...............
Great Captures.......

2:30 lunch break at some Dhaba. Odo: 54569
It was so hot. No shade to park the bike. Ordered some dal, rice and curds. Lots of truck drivers.

I saw some curious food item here. A driver with his plate and the waiter comes and keeps some flour balls resembling small sized laddus. The driver crushes them into powder and dal and ghee is poured into it.

Wanted to try it but I was served with my ordered food. Wanted to ask what that item was, but out of decency I couldn’t ask. Anyway the driver did not appear to be amicable either.

People reading this from that area could explain what those flour balls are.
This is a Rajasthani Dish.
Flour Ball is BAATI

Dal, (Gram) You know.
Dal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghee, You know.
Ghee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BAATI:
Baati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dal baati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dal Bati Aur Churma- Rajasthani Speciality ~ Simply TADKA
Gayathri's Cook Spot: Rajasthani Dal Baati Churma
Bati For Dal Bati Churma - By Vahchef @ vahrehvah.com - YouTube
Dal For Dal Bati Churma - By Vahchef @ vahrehvah.com - YouTube

I continue in that heat. So hot it was. I noticed many tippers on the road. Plain highway. I was even feeling sleepy.

MICRO-SECOND-SLEEP ON HIGHWAYS WHILE DRIVING:

I did read people take a short catnap while driving, I mean micro sleep for a few seconds may be or whatever. When the roads are just plain, too hot or too cold weather, regular traffic with high speeds becomes a monotony. Speedometer needle sleeping at 70, you have nothing to do. Just keep going. Slowly and slowly, I think our brain becomes the victim of monotony and only one part of the brain is bit active which takes care of driving and the rest of the brain just sleeps because of inactivity. You however drive. And then slowly this part of the brain also comes under the influence of monotony I think and this is the time the driver sleeps. Well, I was not sleeping literally but figuratively. Trucks moving at regular speed. And then what I notice shocked me. I see a truck with many wheels, close to me to my RHS, almost same speed as mine. Suddenly I realize on of the truck wheels is not spinning, just stationery, and yet the truck and me are moving. I became alert, am I sleeping or hallucinating due to heat, or these are also some sort of mirages which I could see plenty on road. I am completely awake now. Alert as usual. Then I take a close look of the wheel. Its true its not spinning because, this particular tyre in question is not touching the ground ! It was a dummy tyre. But how am I to know the mechanism of these huge trucks.
Great Observations

Khagesh

Pareeshji, Thank you. By the way which language it is Thalaiva? Punjabi I suppose. Tell you what, even in Tamil they call Talaivar for boss. Once again it proves everything is same and one. Its only our tyrannical brain which influences us make prejudicial and we poor fellows silently succumb to the tyranny of our senses.

Satinderji, Thank you too. Now, I remember, yes its Baati. Its unfortunate that day I could not try baati since my food was not only ordered but even served. I prefer to eat the local food as long as it is vegetarian and without too much of spice.

Yes, the sleep while driving we all might have experienced it. When alone on the roads, we keep thinking all those things. Easy for anyone to observe that part of your brain sleeps. Even when we are sound asleep, we all know part of the brain is awake and some other part is even over active than our body which I suppose manifests in the form of dreams. Anyway, talking all that is a bit off the topic I suppose. Lets leave like that.

Pareesh Trehan

Pareesh Trehan
Pareeshji, Thank you. By the way which language it is Thalaiva? Punjabi I suppose. Tell you what, even in Tamil they call Talaivar for boss. Once again it proves everything is same and one. Its only our tyrannical brain which influences us make prejudicial and we poor fellows silently succumb to the tyranny of our senses.

Satinderji, Thank you too. Now, I remember, yes its Baati. Its unfortunate that day I could not try baati since my food was not only ordered but even served. I prefer to eat the local food as long as it is vegetarian and without too much of spice.

Yes, the sleep while driving we all might have experienced it. When alone on the roads, we keep thinking all those things. Easy for anyone to observe that part of your brain sleeps. Even when we are sound asleep, we all know part of the brain is awake and some other part is even over active than our body which I suppose manifests in the form of dreams. Anyway, talking all that is a bit off the topic I suppose. Lets leave like that.
It is Talaivar, In Punjabi no specific/particular word for Boss, As every Punjabi thinks that he himself is boss.:p
Alternative words are Bhapa ji, Bau Ji, Jarnail, Shera, etc. ;)

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
BAATI is normally simple and spices used, have own purpose.
As in case of Dosa - Daal - Potato - Ground Nut Chutney etc.

Last edited: