My Journey to Leh

Khagesh

what was ur top speed in khardungla-i m just being curious-u must had full throttle of platina
Naa, I never do full throttle for two obvious reasons.

One, bike wouldnt feel comfortable at full throttle. Briefly yes, but never constantly.
Secondly, if I use full throttle, in emergencies we need that extra power, from where I should get when I am in full throttle always. A lesson from my flying days.

Khardungla, as far as I remember, briefly I had to go to first gear because of the snow, slush on the road. While climbing down, it was already dark and I had all the road to myself so I really hurried fast. I did not bother to see my speedometer. May be I was doing around somewhere 40 to 50. But one thing I vividly remember, while coming down, my worse fear is, if my headlamp bulb fuses at that hour at that place. Luckily nothing like that happened.

Having said that, Rothang, coming down, the road was fantastic, I was really zipping fast, sure it was somewhere 50 to 60. Yes, the bike is highly maneuverable in tight bends too.

No issues with the bike on these sectors atleast. Just remember, dont strain the bike. Let the bike also enjoy the ride. Thats the biggest mantra.

Tilak Francis

Khagesh sir, Another beautiful travelogue. I am reading this after your Nepal travelogue. If you happen to travel through Vellore, do let me know. I really wish to meet you. Enjoy the depth of your narration.

Khagesh

Khagesh sir, Another beautiful travelogue. I am reading this after your Nepal travelogue. If you happen to travel through Vellore, do let me know. I really wish to meet you. Enjoy the depth of your narration.
Thank you Tilak. I will certainly look forward to meet you too. I will let you know if I pass by Vellore.

My Leh travelogue comes alive after such a long time. :) Thank you.

Rohit Allavali

[/QUOTE]

Khagesh Sir, I have no words but I'll try.

There was a monk named Hun Chuan in China, who wanted to make a pilgrimage to Mount Wutai.

For many years he prepared and prepared for the arduous journey, but he found that something or the other was always amiss.

One day when Hun Chuan was going to the market, he met his old friend Wu Zan, who he had not seen since many years.

"Wu Zan", asked Hun Chuan, "where have you been for so many years?"

"Why, my friend Hun Chuan, I have just returned from my pilgrimage to Mount Wutai", replied Wu Zan.

Hun Chuan's heart skipped a beat. How could this frail old Wu Zan have possibly made it to Mount Wutai on foot??

So he asked Wu Zan: "Well, I have been trying to make this pilgrimage, and I have been preparing for so many years, but I still don't feel that I have prepared enough for this long and tiring journey. So tell me, friend Wu Zan, how did you do it? And what did you carry with you?"

Wu Zan replied: "It was simple, my friend Hun Chuan. I took my begging bowl with me. When I was hungry, I asked for food in the begging bowl and ate from it. When I was thirsty, I dipped my begging bowl in streams and drank from it. And that's how I made it."

Someday, Khagesh sir, we will meet and I will hug you.

And then touch your feet.

Love you Sir and many more to come.

p.s.: Did I mention that this is the most awesome Leh travelogue on any forum anywhere?

Khagesh

There was a monk named Hun Chuan in China, who wanted to make a pilgrimage to Mount Wutai.

For many years he prepared and prepared for the arduous journey, but he found that something or the other was always amiss.

One day when Hun Chuan was going to the market, he met his old friend Wu Zan, who he had not seen since many years.

"Why, my friend Hun Chuan, I have just returned from my pilgrimage to Mount Wutai", replied Wu Zan.

Hun Chuan's heart skipped a beat. How could this frail old Wu Zan have possibly made it to Mount Wutai on foot??

So he asked Wu Zan: "Well, I have been trying to make this pilgrimage, and I have been preparing for so many years, but I still don't feel that I have prepared enough for this long and tiring journey. So tell me, friend Wu Zan, how did you do it? And what did you carry with you?"

Wu Zan replied: "It was simple, my friend Hun Chuan. I took my begging bowl with me. When I was hungry, I asked for food in the begging bowl and ate from it. When I was thirsty, I dipped my begging bowl in streams and drank from it. And that's how I made it."

p.s.: Did I mention that this is the most awesome Leh travelogue on any forum anywhere?
[/QUOTE]

Dear Rohit,

Trust me, after a long time, today, I somehow instinctively logged in, just to see if I need to reply to any posts. True enough, I have your post which, to be frank, made me emotional. Thank you for narrating the story. At the same time, many a times when I read such comments, I feel shy to read and even feel panegyric for not so a heroic act.

My very intention of writing the travelouge was to instill confidence if someone doubts their own mettle. Just keep going, the way opens by itself. Trust me.

After the Leh trip I made another solo bike trip to Nepal which also covers Muktinath and EBC trek and back home. This Nepal trip really tested me in all respects; physically on the slushy roads of Mustang with bare food intake, with oxygen level dropping to 65 or so on EBC, emotionally when I called my daughter from Muktinath but couldnt speak to her but just cried. These mountains humble us to tranquility.

Hope to read your travelogue too Rohit, soon enough.

Thank you once again.

Khagesh

Rohit Allavali

Dear Rohit,

Trust me, after a long time, today, I somehow instinctively logged in, just to see if I need to reply to any posts. True enough, I have your post which, to be frank, made me emotional. Thank you for narrating the story. At the same time, many a times when I read such comments, I feel shy to read and even feel panegyric for not so a heroic act.

My very intention of writing the travelouge was to instill confidence if someone doubts their own mettle. Just keep going, the way opens by itself. Trust me.

After the Leh trip I made another solo bike trip to Nepal which also covers Muktinath and EBC trek and back home. This Nepal trip really tested me in all respects; physically on the slushy roads of Mustang with bare food intake, with oxygen level dropping to 65 or so on EBC, emotionally when I called my daughter from Muktinath but couldnt speak to her but just cried. These mountains humble us to tranquility.

Hope to read your travelogue too Rohit, soon enough.

Thank you once again.

Khagesh
[/QUOTE]

Dear Khagesh Sir,

Thank you for replying to my post. In fact I created an account here after reading your travelogue only because I thought what a sacrilege it'd be to not thank the man who has done this.

Yeah the mountains, as Kipling said, once they get in your blood, you'd come back to die there. Thankfully you came out of Nepal alive.

So when are you writing a book?

Would love to know what are you doing now-a-days.

Take care.

p.s.: Love that little 100cc Kawasaki motor, despite Bajaj's best attempts to ruin it.