My Journey to Nepal

Discussion in 'Travelogues from around the world' started by Khagesh, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Khagesh

Khagesh Well-Known Member

Once again I feel that I owe this travelogue to BCMTouring from where I get information, made friendship who are ever helpful, gave moral support at times of low spirits during my recent solo trip to Nepal. Apart from the BCMT friends there are many others without whose support my dream trip would not have become a reality. Though I do not take the names of all those by names and their pictures on a public forum I am all the time aware of their support and help. Above all, as I said in my earlier Travelogue on my Leh trip, though technically it’s a solo trip, its three, literally three all the time, The God, my loving bike, and me, just a pillion rider, taking all the credit saying I have done this I have done this, see, my pictures; what a false pride!

I aim to write my experiences to help other travel enthusiasts especially those who plan solo trips, even if their destinations and itinerary differ still, it would certainly help in the way of building up confidence, avoiding mistakes, and most of all to know the insights and instincts of a traveler are of great importance for me.

The trip spanned over 38 days; a long way to go.

Planning, arrangements were as usual minimal. I had to manage with whatever is available in this remote area where I live which is called Lingampet, a hamlet. Closest town is Jadcherla which is about 85 kms south of Hyderabad on Bangalore Hyderabad Highway.

Bike used is the same Platina 100cc which I used for my Leh trip and it never failed me, not even a single beat missed in those extreme testing conditions with such a heavy luggage when I was pushed hard on to the handle bar in those steep and tight roads of Nepal.

To cut the story short, I started my trip as soon as the school where I work closed for summer vacations. Bike serviced with oil change, chain tension adjustment and all the control cables changed. Tools and spares carried, few spanners, adjustable spanner and a spare tube and a spark plug with a Phillip screw driver. None of them I had to use excepting the screw driver to tighten the RVM screws twice.

Day 1: 21st April, 2018 Sunday

My home to Hinganghat 565 Kms

Started at 6:30 AM after little prayers.

DSCN5497.JPG

My stead is ready. I noticed the weight of the baggage is more but can’t help it. The warm clothing and the DSLR bag occupied much of the space and it was heavy too. Barely enough space for me to sit.

DSCN5499.JPG

The journey begins. Sun is already bright.

DSCN5501.JPG
    Hyderabad 75 kms to go. The butter smooth roads till Adilabad which I am going to miss for a long time to come.

DSCN5503.JPG
    Just before the road deviation for Nizamabad, the butter smooth roads continue.

The Sun is too hot. Just too hot. Every half an hour or so had to stop. The tyres are really getting hotter and hotter. After 4pm the intensity of heat is low. For a while thought of stopping at Adilabad but again I have to go about 7 kms leaving the highway. No, continue I say to myself. This is the problem on the highways. We plan either to eat or stay at a town and we continue our ride. At the last minute there is a direction board take deviation 19kms or 23kms for that town! Obviously, we skip that town and look forward something on the highway itself.

Atleast the road signs atleast for till Seoni, then all the sign boards gone due to road expansion work. We do not even know the name of the town on the way and how far we have to go. Well, this would be not the case with everyone because these days almost everyone uses smart phones.

Upto Seoni, I have driven this road on my way back from Leh so I know after Adilabad so many deviations. Its pitch dark soon. Suddenly there is a traffic jam. A truck carrying nearly a dozen new tractors overturned. No way I could stop and take a picture nor I like to take the pictures of any accidents.

Around 9pm wanted to have a tea. Dhabas normally have cots spread in the front and people resting on them. Saw one such place and parked my vehicle and asked if they have tea. And the person on the cot replies that it’s a police station! So funny. He was in civil dress, in a banian due to extreme heat. Anyway, they offered water. He advised there is a ghat section ahead and not to stop my bike even if someone asks me. Curious. A ghat section? There? near Hinganghat? Anyways thanked him and started the ride. Just ten minutes into drive a young boy without headlights zooms across with his bike. A near accident missed. Lucky, a heavy truck wasn’t coming in the opposite direction, lest a fatal accident.

Hinganghat: 9.30pm. The worst part of the daily routine begins; hunt for a hotel room for the night stay. End of the day. The young boys at the reception of the hotel ask the routine questions and they calculate the distance and the time taken by me and they arrive at 37 kms average and start laughing. Yes, easy to laugh, but the heat was such and I was not in a race. Poor fellows they would not know it would even come down to as low as 12kms later on.

2. sat kmr

sat kmr Active Member

Great. Waiting for the whole story......
    Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

3. adsatinder

adsatinder I am SATINDER at Delhi

Great Legend !
    Great Story !
    Great Start !

4. kprasad

kprasad KPR

That's an excellent Sehwag-Sachin start you've given us. Way to go ahead sir. BTW your bike is TN registered. Have you re registered at AP or have NOC papers with you?

5. Khagesh

Thank you. It will unfold itself.
    Back home, whenever we embark on such long trips people have their wish to get this get that. But when my daughter wished me, she asked me to bring back lots of stories to tell. Sure I did.

sat kmr likes this.
  6. Khagesh

Thank you Satinderji.

adsatinder likes this.
  7. Khagesh

Thank you. Yes, way to go ahead. The TN Registration of the bike is a story itself. No NOC, I just use it and used it for my Ladakh trip too. A great bike. The bike is not mine officially; registered on someone's name who lives in Chennai.

When at the Nepal border, while getting bansar for the bike, I was tensed. But no problems, no questions asked. It was just a half an hour job. Will cover that part when we reach the border.

kprasad likes this.
  8. Mohit Saxena

Mohit Saxena Member

Great start :)

9. Khagesh

Thank you.

10. Khagesh

Day 2: 22st April, 2018 Monday

Hinganghat to Jabalpur 357 Kms

Started at 6:45AM.

I made a routine on my entire trip get up at 4:30 and finish brushing and bathing be ready by 5:30 maximum. But all the time the problem that I faced was no one gets up by 5:30. Sometimes I even find myself locked in my own hotel. I had to hunt the watchman or the night receptionist. Then, tea, no shops open. Atleast the tea because breakfast is not guaranteed. Same story on the entire trip. Even my porter at EBC trek used to get up at 7am which is very late by any excuses. I hated this part.

Roads ok till Nagpur. Reached by 8:30. I know I have to head for Seoni and not to enter the Nagpur city. Though I noticed a sign board with over confidence thinking there would be another cut I go straight and end up the outskirts of Nagpur. The result is nearly 15kms of deviation. However that gave me have a good breakfast and I know no more decent places till I cross Pench Reserve Forest from my Leh trip. Till Seoni the same route I took as my return trip from Leh.

The roads in Pnech forest and till Nepal border are under widening process, full of deviations, potholes, dust and extreme heat. What I noticed is the public transportation on the North South Corridor road is still missing. No state run buses. All private buses. And we know how much money involved and the lobbying at higher levels.

DSCN5504.JPG

The bridge they build in Pench area. I remember the talk on my Leh trip by the locals. They do not want the regular highway thorugh the forest to save the wild life. So, they are building bridges for the wild animals to cross the road freely. Inspite of the road conditions, the heat and no shade to park, I felt happy about these bridges for the wild life.

Soon crossed Seoni (pronounced as Siwni) in the scorching heat. No mood for pictures. Hunt for Dhaba. Found one Rajasthani on the other side of the road. Another constant bothering issue on the entire trip was, no shade to park my bike which I really hate. The tyres were getting too hot.

Presence of Narmada river. So beautiful but so much of dust, pollution. Road to Bedaghat. Indecision, stay at Bedaghat or the Jabalpur town. And from this junction, the town is nearly 6kms into the town. Hunt for hotel was nearly one hour. The usual questions, from where and to where, all alone, on THIS bike, uff.

Checked in the hotel at 7.35pm. I made a point to sleep by 9pm. And nearly all the hotels, the bell boy brings in the luggage, water, and as an extra honor they switch on the TV which I really hate. I always find it difficult to switch it off, give up then just find the power plug and pull it out. Ah, so nice, quiet. Bath, food, diary entry and off to bed. That was the routine.

Now, next morning should I visit Beda Ghat or just push towards Allahabad. Tomorrow is yet another day, for now, off to bed.