My Journey to Nepal

Khagesh

Thank you Prabhaker.

Yours was one of the many travelogues I read about EBC, the pacing stream to be followed, your return from EBC when you were just within the reach of EBC, safety consciousness and your snoring partner Raj and even that photograph of Yak making a pattern, all fresh in my mind.

You were planning another EBC soon after your first one. Looks like it has not materialized.

Now, honestly if you were appreciating or criticizing or both is not clear. But thats a true friend.

I had my own reasons for the pace of the trip. The trip itself is completely different from just the EBC trek or Muktinath drive. Moreover, the trip already spanned for 38 days.

You will never ride or trek with me? Well, you see, why I always prefer to do solo though it was by default.

Streak of craziness is not at its height. Had I known 47 existed on an oximeter the story would have taken another dimension of craziness.

Now, to the safety. There is one inside all of us, who is really very active in such long solo trips telling us where that fine line of safety and adventure is. I never crossed that line. Had I known another just two or three kilometers of drive would have put me into dry and rain shadow area en route Muktinath, may be I could have somehow managed Damodar Kunda in Upper Mustang. Had I known 47 oxygen levels are ok with pranayaam. We asked for adventure and set out. Right?

Being an organiser of classes, teaching, I know what line you would take.

Thank you once again Prabhaker.

MotaRana

MotaRana
Khagesh Sir, trust you are doing well. Wanted to catch up with you and see how you are doing and if all is well with you and your travels on the road and life in general.

Reactions: cat

Khagesh

Khagesh Sir, trust you are doing well. Wanted to catch up with you and see how you are doing and if all is well with you and your travels on the road and life in general.
Thank you Rana. I am perfectly alright now in all respects.

That was the greatest hit I had from health point of view. After my Ladakh trip I had been hit with sciatica and numbness of fingers. During Nepal trip the food poisoning took really a great toll. Then after returning home, I felt strange numbness again one side of the body and even slur in my voice. Symptoms of paralysis? Thanks for Ayurvedic medicines some with my own knowledge and some with outside help, I am perfectly alright now. Just normal.

These small ailments are inevitable especially on those long trips on bike and all the time hurrying, never doing basic yoga daily. This is the culprit I suppose.

But this travel bug, especially solos on a bike is a curious bug. Once bitten, its for lifetime I suppose. I already ache to return to Himalayas again. When? Where? This I do not know as yet.

Thanks once again.

Khagesh

Thank you Satinderji,

The age does show its signs. But, I assure you I am ready for another trip provided that someone sponsors the trip. May be three passes in winter? That would be really great.

mousourik

Who Am I
@Khagesh

3 colleagues of mine are going to Muktinath this October, with families, including four children. They have some queries. Please see if you can provide some information.

a. Jomsom airport to Muktinath distance, road condition, approximate travel time.

b. What will be best place to stay at Jomsom or Kagbeni or near Muktinath considering view/cost/convenience/night temperature ?

c. They will have two full days – what are other activities/nearby places to see.

d. Will there be zny altitude sickness issue ?

e. If they plan to stay at Kagbeni or near Muktinath, then will buses or cars be available to reach Jomsom airport next day morning before 8.00 AM ??

f. What might be the hotel charges?

Thanks in advance.

Khagesh

@Khagesh

3 colleagues of mine are going to Muktinath this October, with families, including four children. They have some queries. Please see if you can provide some information.

a. Jomsom airport to Muktinath distance, road condition, approximate travel time.

b. What will be best place to stay at Jomsom or Kagbeni or near Muktinath considering view/cost/convenience/night temperature ?

c. They will have two full days – what are other activities/nearby places to see.

d. Will there be zny altitude sickness issue ?

e. If they plan to stay at Kagbeni or near Muktinath, then will buses or cars be available to reach Jomsom airport next day morning before 8.00 AM ??

f. What might be the hotel charges?

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry for the late reply. I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge and experience.

a. Jomsom to Muktinath is about 25 Kms and the time that would take is about one hour. Local buses ply on this route. NPR150 one way. But from the Muktinath bus stop to Muktinath temple steps is about one kilometer. One has either can walk or hire a pony or bike. The steps, no choice we have to climb. The altitude is 4300 mtrs that what I saw on the altimeter on the wrist of a foreigner there. So, it can take its toll. But slowly one can do it. The road till Kagbeni is off roading and many times crossing the Gandaki river bed. But from Kagbeni, newly tarred road is there till Muktinath village.

b. What I suggest is stay at Jomsom only for various reasons. Many hotels, nearly every hotel would provide the same clean rooms which would cost around NPR200 to NPR500 with attached bath. Plus, as the saying goes, travel high and sleep low. Jomsom is about 3730mtrs, which is lower than Muktinath. Jomsom is located int he river valley and one would get nice views around... Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, the airport, little vegetation and all that. But Muktinath is higher and the views as far as I know are limited. Plus night temperatures would plummet at Muktinath but Jomsom is just ok. Regarding convenience, since it is group of family, best is to hire a local jeep which would be around NPR3,000 to NPR5,000 depending upon your bargaining capacity, just after you get down the flight at Jomsom. Dont try to checkin to a hotel, just go to Muktinath. There are plenty of hotel options in Jomsom, accommodation is easy and cheap. Only food is expensive. Darshan, bath, and around temples and back to Jomsom would be a full day. There are two three places around Muktinath, one can easily google it.

c. The next day they can go for Shaligram hunting in the river bed. Its wonderful view. Full day would just go. But mind you, afternoon it gets pretty windy and chill. Can do local shopping. I personally do not advise to bring any Shaligrams for various reasons. Just its fun to be around and hunt and leave them back if you are lucky to get one. Can go up to Kagbeni too. May be if ritual inclined, Kagbeni is the place for Pinda Pradaanam for ancestors on the banks of Kali Gandaki river.

d. Altitude sickness, you might feel at Muktinath especially when you climb those steps. Carry diamox. Just in case if you feel dizzy and throbbing headache while climbing up to Muktinath take half a tablet. For children no need I think. Better is to carry diamox tablets from Pokhara itself. For this reason I suggest stay at Jomsom only.

e. The flights operate only in the morning. Afternoons it gets really windy in the valley for the little aircrafts to operate. No issues with the clouds for Muktinath area is in rain shadow area. But wind is too strong. So, just in case if there is no transport available to catch the flight, the jeep fellows would fleece you. Be ready for that. This, just if you opt to stay at Kagbeni or Muktinath village.

f. Hotel room rents are cheap, yet they are clean. Infact very clean as per our Indian standards. I paid NPR200 for a simple clean room. So, maximum NPR500 for a family room with attached bath. Thats what my fair guess is.

Let me know if any more information is required. I will do my best to answer.

mousourik

Who Am I
Thanks a lot @Khagesh

Another question comes immediately to mind - it's about the currency. Read somewhere, might be in your log also, that INR500 and 2000 notes are not accepted there. In that case, is it the only option to carry a lot of INR100 notes? Also heard that there is SBI ATM in Kathmandu. Can you say whether Indian debit cards can be used there? And will those ATMs dispense NPR or INR for Indian debit card?

What is the exchange rate for INR in the market? The official rate may not be honoured.