My Journey to Nepal

Khagesh

Thanks a lot @Khagesh

Another question comes immediately to mind - it's about the currency. Read somewhere, might be in your log also, that INR500 and 2000 notes are not accepted there. In that case, is it the only option to carry a lot of INR100 notes? Also heard that there is SBI ATM in Kathmandu. Can you say whether Indian debit cards can be used there? And will those ATMs dispense NPR or INR for Indian debit card?

What is the exchange rate for INR in the market? The official rate may not be honoured.
The exchange rate is 1INR = 1.6 NPR everywhere. Indian currency is acceptable everywhere including hotels, small shops and even tea shops. There wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, officially 500 and above denomination wouldnt be acceptable but they will take. No issues. Excepting may be when buying air ticket and so on.

What is very important is that SBI ATM card only works. Nothing else. Since it is a family trip best is to carry currency notes. No issues. Nepal is much much safer. As you know I was solo, on bike, in interior parts of the Nepal both on Annapurna and Saagarmaatha areas. The safety level is much much higher than in India. Sad though.

Another important information which might help you. For identity our Aadhaar Card will not work since no where in Aadhaar Card our citizenship is mentioned, that another curious thing. Carry passport, and if not voder ID card would do. This is very very important especially when buying airticket. Indians, Foreigners and Nepalese all have different air fares.

mousourik

Who Am I
Some more @Khagesh

1. They have not booked accommodation in Jomsom region. Although you have mentioned that it is easily available, but considering Puja rush and their reaching there in end Navratri date this year – they are unable to guess the extent of rush of tourists and local devotees that day. Shall they pre-book hotel or it is not required? Do you have suggestion for any particular hotel?

2. Not booked Hotel for Kathmandu also – pre-booking required ? Any suggested area/region/hotel contact in KTM ?.

3. One child is having passport, but for other children No EPIC or Passport is available. So what documents to be carried for them?

Thanks in advance. :)

Khagesh

Some more @Khagesh

1. They have not booked accommodation in Jomsom region. Although you have mentioned that it is easily available, but considering Puja rush and their reaching there in end Navratri date this year – they are unable to guess the extent of rush of tourists and local devotees that day. Shall they pre-book hotel or it is not required? Do you have suggestion for any particular hotel?

2. Not booked Hotel for Kathmandu also – pre-booking required ? Any suggested area/region/hotel contact in KTM ?.

3. One child is having passport, but for other children No EPIC or Passport is available. So what documents to be carried for them?

1. Yes, October is the season time. Most of the tourists would be Indian only. I stayed at Hotel Dhaulagiri. I should have their phone number even if you want, only that I have to dig the papers. But trust me, even at Puja time it wouldnt be a problem of accommodation in Jomsom. As you get out of the airport terminal, thats the main road. Left goes to Beni, Pokhara side and the right goes to Kagbeni, Upper Mustang side. On this road itself there are plenty of hotels. A small walk towards Kagbeni side would take you to Jeep stand, Ghoda Ghodi local buses office, one can find plenty of hotels. I can understand the tension of accommodation when with family. Still this area wouldnt have that much traffic. This Dhaulagiri hotel where I stayed is just like any other hotel, absolutely clean. They are meticulous about cleanliness. Even there was a big gang of Indian families were staying in the same hotel. No issues. One advise. Dont book hotels online, they are not that expensive as they show in different websites plus they quote in dollars. Be assured, you would get accommodation there. Just come out of the Jomsom airport terminal, on the main road many restaurants are available. Have tea or snacks there, leave the family and children and male members can go out and checkout the hotels of their choice.

2. Kathmandu, well I stayed in a residential locality hotel, absolutely calm and quiet. They even had a swimming pool. Yet not expensive. I paid INR600 per night. Very spacious but simple and clean room. But for a family it could be more than that. I think the name is Hotel Bagicha. I can dig contact number once again if u wish. Yet, its very close, about ten mins walk to Thamel area which is flashy shopping area with lots of foreign tourists. A friend of mine lives close by to this hotel. When dates are confirmed and if my help is needed I can give his phone number if you wish to.

3. For children there should be no issue of passport. To be frank, I never had to show my passport excepting at flight tickets to Lukla, then the checkpoints on the way to EBC. Funny part is that, I looked like a Nepalese why I needed a passport. Neither they checked my bansar permit paper for my bike on my entire trip in Nepal, not even on the borders they checked. Just let them carry what they have.

Hope the information is sufficient. You can ask if any more information is required. This information might be beneficial to other readers too. Best discussed here than the PM box so that other can also be benefited.

Reactions: cat

Khagesh

Some more @Khagesh

Dug the cards out; here are the contact details of the hotels where I stayed in Pokhara, Jomsom and Kathmandu:

1. Pokhara: Hotel Four Seasons, Mr. Bhim Acharya Mobile No: +977 9856026745 LL 061 465777 Walkable distance from the Phewa Lake. I paid Rs.1200 per night. They have a hotel even in Kathmandu.
2.Jomsom: Hotel Dhaulagiri Mr. Rabindra Gaucham Mobile No: +977 9746709168. Here I paid Rs.200 or somewhere like that. Very close to Jomsom Airport. Two minutes walk.
3. Kathmandu: Hotel Bagaicha, Dhalko, Chatrapati, Kathmandu. Mr Ricky Mobile No: +977 9818880422. Quiet area, very nice for a family stay. No blaring music or constant blaring of horns of Kathmandu traffic.

Hope that would do.

Hiregoudar

Once again I feel that I owe this travelogue to BCMTouring from where I get information, made friendship who are ever helpful, gave moral support at times of low spirits during my recent solo trip to Nepal. Apart from the BCMT friends there are many others without whose support my dream trip would not have become a reality. Though I do not take the names of all those by names and their pictures on a public forum I am all the time aware of their support and help. Above all, as I said in my earlier Travelogue on my Leh trip, though technically it’s a solo trip, its three, literally three all the time, The God, my loving bike, and me, just a pillion rider, taking all the credit saying I have done this I have done this, see, my pictures; what a false pride!

I aim to write my experiences to help other travel enthusiasts especially those who plan solo trips, even if their destinations and itinerary differ still, it would certainly help in the way of building up confidence, avoiding mistakes, and most of all to know the insights and instincts of a traveler are of great importance for me.

The trip spanned over 38 days; a long way to go.

Planning, arrangements were as usual minimal. I had to manage with whatever is available in this remote area where I live which is called Lingampet, a hamlet. Closest town is Jadcherla which is about 85 kms south of Hyderabad on Bangalore Hyderabad Highway.

Bike used is the same Platina 100cc which I used for my Leh trip and it never failed me, not even a single beat missed in those extreme testing conditions with such a heavy luggage when I was pushed hard on to the handle bar in those steep and tight roads of Nepal.

To cut the story short, I started my trip as soon as the school where I work closed for summer vacations. Bike serviced with oil change, chain tension adjustment and all the control cables changed. Tools and spares carried, few spanners, adjustable spanner and a spare tube and a spark plug with a Phillip screw driver. None of them I had to use excepting the screw driver to tighten the RVM screws twice.

Day 1: 21st April, 2018 Sunday

My home to Hinganghat 565 Kms

Started at 6:30 AM after little prayers.

View attachment 749201

My stead is ready. I noticed the weight of the baggage is more but can’t help it. The warm clothing and the DSLR bag occupied much of the space and it was heavy too. Barely enough space for me to sit.

View attachment 749202

The journey begins. Sun is already bright.

View attachment 749203
Hyderabad 75 kms to go. The butter smooth roads till Adilabad which I am going to miss for a long time to come.

View attachment 749204
Just before the road deviation for Nizamabad, the butter smooth roads continue.

The Sun is too hot. Just too hot. Every half an hour or so had to stop. The tyres are really getting hotter and hotter. After 4pm the intensity of heat is low. For a while thought of stopping at Adilabad but again I have to go about 7 kms leaving the highway. No, continue I say to myself. This is the problem on the highways. We plan either to eat or stay at a town and we continue our ride. At the last minute there is a direction board take deviation 19kms or 23kms for that town! Obviously, we skip that town and look forward something on the highway itself.

Atleast the road signs atleast for till Seoni, then all the sign boards gone due to road expansion work. We do not even know the name of the town on the way and how far we have to go. Well, this would be not the case with everyone because these days almost everyone uses smart phones.

Upto Seoni, I have driven this road on my way back from Leh so I know after Adilabad so many deviations. Its pitch dark soon. Suddenly there is a traffic jam. A truck carrying nearly a dozen new tractors overturned. No way I could stop and take a picture nor I like to take the pictures of any accidents.

Around 9pm wanted to have a tea. Dhabas normally have cots spread in the front and people resting on them. Saw one such place and parked my vehicle and asked if they have tea. And the person on the cot replies that it’s a police station! So funny. He was in civil dress, in a banian due to extreme heat. Anyway, they offered water. He advised there is a ghat section ahead and not to stop my bike even if someone asks me. Curious. A ghat section? There? near Hinganghat? Anyways thanked him and started the ride. Just ten minutes into drive a young boy without headlights zooms across with his bike. A near accident missed. Lucky, a heavy truck wasn’t coming in the opposite direction, lest a fatal accident.

Hinganghat: 9.30pm. The worst part of the daily routine begins; hunt for a hotel room for the night stay. End of the day. The young boys at the reception of the hotel ask the routine questions and they calculate the distance and the time taken by me and they arrive at 37 kms average and start laughing. Yes, easy to laugh, but the heat was such and I was not in a race. Poor fellows they would not know it would even come down to as low as 12kms later on.
Great start Sir.
Just started reading your TL.
Regards
Satish

Khagesh

Great start Sir.
Just started reading your TL.
Regards
Satish
Thank you Satish.

That was a wonderful trip indeed nevertheless I hurried a bit in writing down unlike my Leh trip.

As I reminisce the trip now, despite that food poisoning effect, I enjoyed the trip a lot. There were many only ifs, had I knowns, and what not. But we keep learning from our own experiences and from others as well which was the main aim of writing this travelogue.

Daily I commute to my workplace on the same bike and I still feel I am on a journey to nowhere, trust me.