My Journey to Nepal

citymonk

Super User
Thank you. My travelogue holding your attention till that wee hours proves my efforts of writing this travelogue have not gone in vain.

Yes, it could be sunstroke too. Havent thought of that angle at all.

Whatever it was, it hit me really so hard, so much so that I just didn't care anything, I just wanted to get little energy which could make me ride my bike.

I vividly remember that morning my senses were telling me that I must seek proper medical attention, just left with some cash in my pocket and left everything in the hotel room.
No need for thanks Sir, rather we are thankful to you for such details and narrative.
Yes you had no options but to leave precious belongings back at hotel as carrying too much cash in pocket too was risky in such conditions.

Did you had some thing fried like Kachori and Aloo ki Sabzi around 24 hours before cramps started.

Khagesh

No need for thanks Sir, rather we are thankful to you for such details and narrative.
Yes you had no options but to leave precious belongings back at hotel as carrying too much cash in pocket too was risky in such conditions.

Did you had some thing fried like Kachori and Aloo ki Sabzi around 24 hours before cramps started.
Good guesswork.

Yes, I remember the night before I had these cramps, in Varanasi, purposely skipped my regular simple dal roti menu and went into some sweet shop on the main road had something like Kachori, or Aloo samosa or something like that, then some sweet and then a big glass of lassi or was it two glasses of lassi. It was so so hot and I was really feeling unquenchable thirst.

Do you think that was the culprit?

citymonk

Super User
Do you think that was the culprit?
Yes certainly deep fried stuff did it. Mostly it is Kachori in such hot and dry climate.
Plus you had Lassi in Night, few years back Outlets would not serve Lassi after 4 pm. Bacteria in curd changes to harmful state in evening hours.
Mostly in North pepole still avoid Lassi in late evenings or Night.
I think you were already dehydrated due to heat in day and may heat stroke had already happened.
Nimbu Pani or even simple Limca, instead of lassi may would have saved you from Gastrointestinal infection.
This infection is very common in dry Hot months of North and fried stuff triggers it.

What puzzles me is your lack of Appetite after recovery.
Btw Chai is also avoided during such infections.
Anything helping to produce Acid is avoided. Plane Dahi instead of Chai in morning would have helped a lot to recover back.

Last edited:

Khagesh

Yes certainly deep fried stuff did it. Mostly it is Kachori in such hot and dry climate.
Plus you had Lassi in Night, few years back Outlets would not serve Lassi after 4 pm. Bacteria in curd changes to harmful state in evening hours.
Mostly in North pepole still avoid Lassi in late evenings or Night.
I think you were already dehydrated due to heat in day and may heat stroke had already happened.
Nimbu Pani or even simple Limca, instead of lassi may would have saved you from Gastrointestinal infection.
This infection is very common in dry Hot months of North and fried stuff triggers it.

What puzzles me is your lack of Appetite after recovery.
Btw Chai is also avoided during such infections.
Anything helping to produce Acid is avoided. Plane Dahi instead of Chai in morning would have helped a lot to recover back.
Yes, you are right.

Curd, buttermilk is avoided after sunset. Even Ayurveda says mornings take water, afternoons buttermilk and in the night milk to stay healthy. I personally do not use curd or buttermilk in the nights. But that day it was so hot, I might have consumed six glasses of nimbu pani yet the thirst couldn't be quenched.

To fight the sunstroke I used misry sugar, rock candy as they say in english, mixed in my water bottle. It worked perfectly well. I should have squeezed some lemon into it though.

Coming to loss of appetite, it stayed with me for nearly three months after the trip is finished. Curiously, I felt a sort of aversion to drinking water which otherwise I drink lots of water normally.

Whatever, it really took its toll. I still remember it was my dread that I might fall unconscious while driving. That fear was really hanging me till I reached home. The last leg of the journey when I started from Eluru, I was passing through the hottest part of the journey it was 47 degrees celsius that day and I could hardly ride ten kms at a stretch in the afternoon. The longest drive of that 30kms I had before reaching Devarakonda. Happy, I reached home safely, though terribly sick.

Thank you for sharing your views, which might help the other readers especially those on two wheelers in summer.

citymonk

Super User
Thank you for sharing your views, which might help the other readers especially those on two wheelers in summer.
Since I used to ride in hot summer hence have some first hand experience.

Btw loss of appetite does not explains normal food poisoning or gastrointestinal infection which takes 24 hours to strike, but when once infection is receding you start to dream about tasty foods.
And in 2 or 3 days normal appetite returns.
Have you got your liver checked. Liver infections take time of full one month to appear as symptom and it could be something related to that.

How is you appetite now after coming in daily routine.

Last edited:

Khagesh

Since I used to ride in hot summer hence have some first hand experience.

Btw loss of appetite does not explains normal food poisoning or gastrointestinal infection which takes 24 hours to strike, but when once infection is receding you start to dream about tasty foods.
And in 2 or 3 days normal appetite returns.
Have you got your liver checked. Liver infections take time of full one month to appear as symptom and it could be something related to that.

How is you appetite now after coming in daily routine.
I really do not know what exactly had happened but loss of appetite, stomach upset continued for very long.

Coming to checkup, I trust ayurvedic medicine more rather than checkups. I took ayurvedic medicine for nearly two months and I am alright now.

But it did not take that long, after the cramps I lost appetite immediately. The next day of the drive from Mau till the border, I don't remember having anything. Only in the night. Then the next day from the border I don't remember nor had any place to take my lunch till Pokhara. Nevertheless I had to force my food all the time, because I needed energy more so while trekking the EBC.

Thank you for your time.

Khagesh

awesome... Great narration, great pictures.. all to the point. just reached reading till the porter drama..Enjoyed every bit of it.
Thank you Jacob.

Yes, I vividly remember the porter issue. One can imagine the night before no sleep and the sudden increase in the altitude when landed at Lukla, clumsily getting out of the airport, managing my luggage till that tea shop and placing that much money into an unknown fellow.

But that's what the adventure all about, not just the destination. No?

citymonk

Super User
Coming to checkup, I trust ayurvedic medicine more rather than checkups. I took ayurvedic medicine for nearly two months and I am alright now.
It is nice to know that you have recovered fully now.

Yes Ayurveda is best in such cases of appetite loss. Rather Allopathy has till date no remedy for liver disorders.
Allopathic Doctors too recommend Ayurvedic medicine for this disorder, Liv-52 is very famous Ayurvedic drug for such symptoms.
Plus these drugs do not have any unwanted side effects.

citymonk

Super User
wanted to take one of those launches wherever they go and return on the same launch. But the sun was setting fast. It was already dusk.
That was no problem as this ferry service is available in night hours also. Boat will start from Howrah bridge and alternatively hit opposite shores, while going down the river and also while coming up river. Tickets are to purchased before bording from port. Ride is enjoyable in night and tickets are very cheap.

This Boat ride makes every tourist remember that famous song of Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore 'Pani Jo Aagh Lagaye usae kaun bhujye.'