My Journey to Nepal

Good news for those who wish to do EBC 100 % by road.

There is a bus service from Kathmandu to Salleri NR 2000 and another bus from Salleri to Kharikhola NR1500. This is the latest news from my porter Rajkumar.

From Kharikhola Lukla is one day trek.

This is good even to people who love to ride the bike as close to Lukla as possible on EBC trek. One can drive till Kharikhola.
Sir Khagesh, Its inspirational - and very helpful - specially this information of road up to Kharikhola

I am planning a trip to EBC in the first week of September. Will start the trek and see upto which point I reach- My main destination is Namche Bazzar. I have seen it in so many photographs that I just have to visit it to take some photographs myself.

Sir could you give the contacts of the porter Rajkumar.
Did you get yourself insured for the EBC. Read on some posts that in case of emergency your expenses are covered for the Airlift.

It would be a big help if you put in a few more words of advice. Though you have given all the details already.

Khagesh

Thanks for the post. We were inspired by this and we successfully completed the Muktinath road trip this March, 2019. Our 4 part report is below.

Delhi to Pokhara – Muktinath Road Trip – clicknexplore

Pokhara to Tatopani – Muktinath Road Trip – clicknexplore

Tatopani to Muktinath – Muktinath Road Trip – clicknexplore

Muktinath to Pokhara – Muktinath Road Trip – clicknexplore

Again thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your sharing too. I am blessed. As I mentioned earlier, the very purpose of writing a travelogue is to help others with similar interests even if the destination is different.

As I mentioned earlier in my travelogue, my original destination in Mustang sector was upper Mustang, Damodar Kunda. But alas, I could not afford the USD500 upper Mustang permit, in addition, they would give permit only to group which should have minimum of two members. My plan was to ride upto Yaara and then trek to Damodar Kunda, obviously I needed to take the local people as guide there.

Your Yamuna Express Way pictures remind me of me riding my bike on this quite boring YEH from Delhi to Agra on my way back from Leh, solo trip on the same bike.

You too seem to have had good time on the trip. Very good. I have just quickly went through the pictures, yet to read your blog. Looks very interesting.

Thank you Partha once again.

Khagesh

What is best time to visit Everest Base Camp by Road nowdays.
According to me September and October window is the best time for EBC for two reasons 1. Monsoons would have receded and 2. Winter would not have set in.

I know my timing was not good, yet I did not have other choice for its summer vacations for schools and my current profession is teacher. If I had a choice I would have preferred October during Dasara holidays.

Very important what I noticed is when the monsoons begin, most of the day time you would see overcast sky which means you not only would miss the views but also in case of emergency, air lifting if you depend upon would just be impossible. Even the flights would get cancelled and you would miss the connecting flights. I had seen foreigners opting to charter an helicopter to Kathmandu. As it is the mountain weather is unpredictable in Himalayas.

Anyway these are my personal views. What I would suggest is read, more read and more reading and be wise in your choice.

Khagesh

Sir Khagesh, Its inspirational - and very helpful - specially this information of road up to Kharikhola

I am planning a trip to EBC in the first week of September. Will start the trek and see upto which point I reach- My main destination is Namche Bazzar. I have seen it in so many photographs that I just have to visit it to take some photographs myself.

Sir could you give the contacts of the porter Rajkumar.
Did you get yourself insured for the EBC. Read on some posts that in case of emergency your expenses are covered for the Airlift.

It would be a big help if you put in a few more words of advice. Though you have given all the details already.
Thank you.

This Kharikhola information is passed on to me by my local porter who is in touch with me recently. This fellow lives close to Lukla but not at Lukla to begin with. A good chap. His mobile number is +9779818656484. If he is on a trek you may need to try several times for signal issue.

Jorsalle - Namche Bazaar is quite strenuous trek but take your time, just don't push yourself, soon you would start enjoying the trek. Take plenty of breaks. If weather is good which should be good since you plan in September, you would see the first glimpse of Saagarmaatha, the mighty peak.

Second, my sincere suggestion is that till Namche, you will not have any airlifting emergencies. Diamox should be sufficient. This is another mistake I made. I did not take diamox till Shimore which means after Namche, Phungi Tenga night stop then Tenboche then Shimore. That night only at Shimore when my oxygen level dropped to 67 I took Diamox. Why I repeat all this is just to assure you if you plan only to Namche, no need for insurance. You are in the quite safe zone. Only the trekking is steep but you are well below 3000 m altitude. Only after 4000 m, the risk zone starts. So, no issues. If you still feel uncomfortable, you could always just walkdown as simple as that. Anyways, it's just my suggestion only to.

You are always welcome to ask any further information, I would be glad to give you. Please don't hesitate. As mentioned earlier, me too took so much information and many people helped me without whose help the trip would not have taken off at all in the first place. I was a mere performer there.

All the best for your trip. Be safe all the time. Remember, there is always something called 'tomorrow'.

I Have been to Tapovan the base of Shivling parvat above Gaumukh. Spent 2-3 hours wondering at tapovan and had a long chat and lunch with the mauni baba there - lol imagine chatting with a mauni baba. Even had lunch with the baba. I was quite comfortable there and also at Rohtang pass though its less than 4k meters. But that was about 10 years back - this would be a new challange at a new age that keeps increasing. I am going there to enjoy so no rush for me to reach the top. Thanks for your good advice will keep them in mind when I start.

If people are allergic to sulphur then dexamethasone (decadran easily available in stores all over india - jhola chaap doctors abuse this drug) should be used.

This link should be of some help to everyone heading for 4k meter height and above
BasecampMD.com

Last edited:

Khagesh

I Have been to Tapovan the base of Shivling parvat above Gaumukh. Spent 2-3 hours wondering at tapovan and had a long chat and lunch with the mauni baba there - lol imagine chatting with a mauni baba. Even had lunch with the baba. I was quite comfortable there and also at Rohtang pass though its less than 4k meters. But that was about 10 years back - this would be a new challange at a new age that keeps increasing. I am going there to enjoy so no rush for me to reach the top. Thanks for your good advice will keep them in mind when I start.

If people are allergic to sulphur then dexamethasone (decadran easily available in stores all over india - jhola chaap doctors abuse this drug) should be used.

This link should be of some help to everyone heading for 4k meter height and above
BasecampMD.com
No issues, trust me, with all that experience, Namche is easy for you. If I am not wrong even beyond also. For myself, I could have pushed further, but that hit at Varanasi completely drained my all energies off. I purposefully avoided diamox and was doing ok even at Muktinath which was showing 4300m altitude on the wrist watch of a foreigner. All the way driving from Hyderabad in that scorching sun, health issues, Mukthinath EBC it was too tight for me and furthermore weather was completely overcast, just in case.

On my Ladakh trip I was on diamox from Dras after Zojilla till Jispa on my way back. Only post trip health issue I faced was I was hit by severe sciatica. But that need not necessarily be attributed to Diamox.

Khagesh

BasecampMD.com
Quite useful especially if some one is going to be on these drugs for quite a bit of a time I suppose.