My Journey to Nepal

Khagesh

Finally read ur travel Logue sir .....it's amazing
Thank you. My very intention in writing travelogues is to help, to give motivation, no, not even that, confidence to fellow bikers, that we can do. How sad, I did not know that people trekked with oxygen levels as low as 45, lest, I would have continued, may be. This is the problem with solo trips, had I been in group I would have done kalapathar with ease. Anyway, as the saying goes we have to leave something to come back to hills.

Thanks once again Mehak.

citymonk

Super User
How sad, I did not know that people trekked with oxygen levels as low as 45

What can be said about these levels, in present Covid times people are being sent to hospitals for Oxygen levels below 95 and 90 is being considered as life threatening situation.
Previously there were no issues when reading instruments were not available so easily.

Some times ignorance is bliss.

Khagesh

What can be said about these levels, in present Covid times people are being sent to hospitals for Oxygen levels below 95 and 90 is being considered as life threatening situation.
Previously there were no issues when reading instruments were not available so easily.

Some times ignorance is bliss.
Yes very true, bliss of ignorance is very strong.

To be frank, it was absolutely my mistake not going on to diamox. I should have started off while leaving Kathmandu, or atleast after landing at Lukla when the altitude was showing clear signs. I continued this mistake all along the trek deliberately though for I had bitter experience of siatica which I attribute to diamox on my Leh trip. Not just that my fingers going numb and so on.

Yes true, when we did not have those instruments; may be just feel the body and go ahead may be. Its something like my flying days, just feel the air on your face to judge if you are going to stall, or at landings. Never used to have any instruments excepting tacho which I used to watch always in case if I had to abandon the take off.

And then the Covid; I am not aware of the fact that people were rushed to hospitals at 90? Sort of a phobia may be.

Thanks for the input.

karun0035

Thank you all those who are silently reading, and those who are liking and those who are replying.
Why I thank is, my efforts in presenting the travelogue are not wasted.
Thank you once again.
That is typically me sir, sometimes I forgot to write anything (got too much engaged in reading the TL), sometimes I do put a "like" on each post.
It could be the reason why I'm reading the log in one go!! (Kal ho na ho !!) :cool:

But one thing is for sure ... you got nerves of steel ... trip distance, bike type, age ... there are soooooo many factors worth applauding ... !!
=D>=D>:supz::supz:=D>=D>

Khagesh

That is typically me sir, sometimes I forgot to write anything (got too much engaged in reading the TL), sometimes I do put a "like" on each post.
It could be the reason why I'm reading the log in one go!! (Kal ho na ho !!) :cool:

But one thing is for sure ... you got nerves of steel ... trip distance, bike type, age ... there are soooooo many factors worth applauding ... !!
=D>=D>:supz::supz:=D>=D>
"Kal ho na ho!!"... Nice expression. This often happens with me too.

Nerves of steel... well, let me tell you something, we all have this when circumstances demand.... trust me. Tell me what other option was left to me than what I did? Coming to distance and age, they are mere figures and the bike too; somewhere I might have mentioned, she never missed a heartbeat on the entire trip nor had a single puncutre either, and the tyres are not tubeless either. Only that the slush due to heavy rain, the hidden boulders in the slush, the deep gorge on one side, loosing traction, bike sliding uncontrollably which was really scary when it was pushing to near few inches of the lip of the ridge and all alone for with ANY vehicular movement tensed me. But this could happen with any other bike too. See my point. On the other hand, if I had any heavy bike, I would never be able to come out of those slushy tracks on my own.

Having said that, I must admit, I did panic a bit at Shimore that night, with low oxygen level, no, not even that, the cloudy weather which restricted the movement of helicopters... even at Lukla I had to spend a complete day waiting to catch the return plane to Kathmandu. Not just me, many were waiting already for two days or even more because the flights were cancelled due to bad weather. Again it was my own stupidity neither I acclimatize my body nor took diamox.

Thank you for your comments. Its gives us a nice feeling when the effort of writing the TL is not wasted.

Thank you once again.

karun0035

"Kal ho na ho!!"... Nice expression. This often happens with me too.

Nerves of steel... well, let me tell you something, we all have this when circumstances demand.... trust me. Tell me what other option was left to me than what I did? Coming to distance and age, they are mere figures and the bike too; somewhere I might have mentioned, she never missed a heartbeat on the entire trip nor had a single puncutre either, and the tyres are not tubeless either. Only that the slush due to heavy rain, the hidden boulders in the slush, the deep gorge on one side, loosing traction, bike sliding uncontrollably which was really scary when it was pushing to near few inches of the lip of the ridge and all alone for with ANY vehicular movement tensed me. But this could happen with any other bike too. See my point. On the other hand, if I had any heavy bike, I would never be able to come out of those slushy tracks on my own.

Having said that, I must admit, I did panic a bit at Shimore that night, with low oxygen level, no, not even that, the cloudy weather which restricted the movement of helicopters... even at Lukla I had to spend a complete day waiting to catch the return plane to Kathmandu. Not just me, many were waiting already for two days or even more because the flights were cancelled due to bad weather. Again it was my own stupidity neither I acclimatize my body nor took diamox.

Thank you for your comments. Its gives us a nice feeling when the effort of writing the TL is not wasted.

Thank you once again.
Rightly said, we don't know our limits if they are not tested! And what better way of nature testing them in her own way!
Age plays a huge factor when going on such a journey but since you mentioned you belong to the Flying domain (IAF, IA?), I won't say anything more .... :)
Also, it is aptly said that driver matters and not the drive(vehicle)!

With the kind of journey who have accomplished, you have my respect sir!

Miles to go ... Happy Traveling !!

Khagesh

Rightly said, we don't know our limits if they are not tested! And what better way of nature testing them in her own way!
Age plays a huge factor when going on such a journey but since you mentioned you belong to the Flying domain (IAF, IA?), I won't say anything more .... :)
Also, it is aptly said that driver matters and not the drive(vehicle)!

With the kind of journey who have accomplished, you have my respect sir!

Miles to go ... Happy Traveling !!
I am really sorry, each time I mention my association with flying, I always misguide people to either IAF or IA which always appeals or charismatic to people. There is another form of flying which is called adventure flying or sport flying. Microlight flying. Hang gliding, powered hang gliding.

phg.jpg

That would give an idea. Its a static picture just to have an idea. You can google for powered hang gliding. There are more flying pictures but right now not on this pc. The rules nearly remain nearly the same for safety. Its more fun and adventurous when one would feel full blast of air on your face and the view 360 degrees ahead of you. Sad part is that the stupid regulations all along and still are not conducive to this form of flying which is more affordable and adventurous too making accessible to youth. So, thats the flying story. But mind you, it teaches us and instructs lot more useful things in one's life.

The solo motorcycle trips, they they call solo, I never felt solo, you, the machine, and there is something intangible which always follows you, guide you, protect you, whatever the name one would give to it. There always big understanding between man and the machine. As you can see in the picture, I am a shortie, on my Platina, my toes barely touch! lol.... one can imagine the offroading in the slushy slopes of Mustang.

Who else rather than the nature could test best our mettle.. tell me. Just take what comes on the way of the life is my philosophy.

Thank you for your appreciation. Wish one day I could do Manasarovar, solo on my bike and the parikrama of Mt. Kailash. Too ambitious? may be.

Thank you once again.

Last edited:

karun0035

I am really sorry, each time I mention my association with flying, I always misguide people to either IAF or IA. There is another form of flying which is called adventure flying or sport flying. Microlight flying. Hang gliding, powered hang gliding.
It's not you, its the words you choose to describe your profession. Now, I get it and most of the members!!

karun0035

Thank you for your appreciation. Wish one day I could do Manasarovar, solo on my bike and the parikrama of Mt. Kailash. Too ambitious? may be.
Bhole naath will surely listen to your prayers and will invite you. Nothing is too ambitious, we are tied with our own set of responsibilities/limits.