My Journey to Nepal

Khagesh

Bhole naath will surely listen to your prayers and will invite you. Nothing is too ambitious, we are tied with our own set of responsibilities/limits.
Many sincere thanks to you for your wishes. Coming to limits, I am prepared to stake my limits once the invitation comes.

sayshh

Just finished reading your tale of incredible grit and determination. RESPECT! :prayer:

Very informative and gripping to read, with a sprinkling of relevant and well composed photographs. =D>

Then my left knee starts giving problem. It pains a lot when bent. So I start a sort of limp not bending the knee.
This is a strikingly uncanny coincidence. :shock: This is the same thing that happened to me while going to Kedarnath.

I was afraid if the temple would be closed for afternoon. But then all of a sudden they let all the people go at once into the temple. No queue at all. Amidst all the bustling people I get darshan for a fraction of a second.
Reminded me of my trip to the same triangle Bhubaneswar - Konark - Puri in January of 2020. Even we had a darshan for a second, but while exiting, we somehow managed to merge with devotees going inside. Then we could spend some time and came our satiated.

Khagesh

Just finished reading your tale of incredible grit and determination. RESPECT! :prayer:

Very informative and gripping to read, with a sprinkling of relevant and well composed photographs. =D>

This is a strikingly uncanny coincidence. :shock: This is the same thing that happened to me while going to Kedarnath.

Reminded me of my trip to the same triangle Bhubaneswar - Konark - Puri in January of 2020. Even we had a darshan for a second, but while exiting, we somehow managed to merge with devotees going inside. Then we could spend some time and came our satiated.
Thank you for sharing your comparative experiences. Definitively there is something to learn from one's own and others mistakes too.

I did have everything against me excepting providential hand which lead me all the while. Am I pleading excuses? May be.....

The health, the hurry in EBC trek, restraining from diamox, the bad weather just in case of emergencies of aerial rescue to mention a few. Anyways, thats what makes the trip more exciting rather than the destination itself I suppose.

The knee pain started once I crossed the safe zone of altitude 4000 m and oxygen levels dipped to an alarming 65 I think or even less. I too did Kedar but it was a different tempo, so not had any knee issues for me. Its just one day trek and then back. But EBC you keep trekking without knowing when would be your return. This puts the trekker's mind into a sort of strain mode which in turn aggravates even a simple issue. However, this is just a psychic issue.

By the way, since you too had been to Konark, did you see that stone plank blocking the main entrance to the temple? How sad, even after so many years of independence (?) this stone still exists there as a slap on our faces. So sad. No?

sayshh

The knee pain started once I crossed the safe zone of altitude 4000 m and oxygen levels dipped to an alarming 65 I think or even less. I too did Kedar but it was a different tempo, so not had any knee issues for me. Its just one day trek and then back. But EBC you keep trekking without knowing when would be your return. This puts the trekker's mind into a sort of strain mode which in turn aggravates even a simple issue. However, this is just a psychic issue.
I can imagine that. For me it was either 3 hours up or down. For you it was a matter of days. Just like your oximeter experience, if I had known that someone (you) had managed this and other adverse conditions for days, then I probably would have pushed myself to reach Kedarnath on my own power. It's easier to say now though...

By the way, since you too had been to Konark, did you see that stone plank blocking the main entrance to the temple? How sad, even after so many years of independence (?) this stone still exists there as a slap on our faces. So sad. No?
When we visited, the area beyond the horses of chariot (beginning of steps leading to temple) itself was cordoned off. But the entrance (jagamohana) did look partially blocked. From distance it was hard to tell that it was a board with some writing. Actually I was surprised to see the maintenance work (scaffolding) in your photos. Taking the liberty of posting a picture from my visit.

Konark temple in 2020 (January)

IMG_20200111_161035.jpg

Not sure if work has been going on since then? Or it was completed and something new is happening? What's even worse that it's not only Konark, but so many architectural marvels of Indian history - Hampi and surrounding places, Thanjavur Brihadeeswarar temple, etc. haven't found their former glory. I've just named a couple of places from my visits and experiences, but name any state in our country and there are numerous places that have been desecrated and belittled by those who invaded/captured India.

Khagesh

if I had known that someone (you) had managed this and other adverse conditions for days, then I probably would have pushed myself to reach Kedarnath on my own power
Same here too, after my return I read somewhere people trekked with oxygen levels at 47! Had I known.... lol
But Kedar trek in 3 hours ! Thats quite fast. The best temp what I found was, go slow. Become the part of the task, then the task wouldnt be that difficult then.
that have been desecrated and belittled by those who invaded/captured India.
Very very true. I too have been to these places and I perfectly understand your views. The stand taken by the invaders is understandable but sad part is that it continues to be so even after seventy years of independence. Here is the plant that you might have missed which blocked the entrance...see the year 1903!!!! and we still take orders even after so called independence.
DSC04418.JPG

citymonk

Super User
Same here too, after my return I read somewhere people trekked with oxygen levels at 47! Had I known.... lol
And in these Covid times 90 is threshold above 95 they are saying is O.K.
People get panicked and are rushing for Oxygen cylinders at any thing below 90.
And 80 is alarming situation.

I heard AIIMs head Dr. Guleria that even at 80 one should try to bring up the level by prone yoga exercise and pranayam e.t.c. on ones own.

This is what I received on WhatsApp.

'Forward received just now
Sharing a msg from Bharat Lal, Additional Secretary Drinking Water and Sanitation 1988 batch IAS, now recovering from Covid in AIIMS- Sir, this is my personal experience, which might be quite useful to all of us....rgds -
For the benefit of CoVid-19 patients, let me share one extremely effective way to keep Oxygen saturation level high. I’m sharing my experience, which brought huge relief to me.

I tested positive on 9th April and was brought to AIIMS on 12th April. Same evening, my Oxygen level started going down and was in lower 80’s. Here, junior doctors immediately put me on Oxygen support.

Meanwhile Dr. Guleria, Dr. Neeraj and other seniors came in the picture. Dr. Guleria said that my body at that stage doesn’t require Oxygen support. In fact he got tubes removed. He explained to me in most effective way that I have the capacity, I have the strength and I have to work hard for this requisite Oxygen. Plz don’t go for easy option. Work for it. And he made me to lie down on my chest facing downward and asked me to start deep breathing. This from the best ‘pulmonologist’ of the country.

Within few mts, my Oxygen level started improving and in next couple of hours, my Oxygen level got stabilized around 96/ 97%.

Since then they are continuously asking me to lie down on my chest/ stomach and try to sleep in this manner only. In these 5 days, whenever Oxygen level goes down, I immediately lie down on my chest and start deep breathing. Extremely effective. I will use the word ‘life saving’ and that’s why sharing it for larger benefit esp in such a challenging time...

Second point, what Dr. Guleria, Dr. Neeraj and others taught me. Don’t give up easily, don’t opt for easy options/ support. Let’s our body work for it. To tackle this virus in severe cases, at family/ individual level, one needs ‘extremely strong mind.’ So, let’s go for deep breathing exercise while lying on chest with downward face. May kindly like to consider it. Warm regards & best wishes -Bharat Lal.'

Last edited:

sayshh

But Kedar trek in 3 hours ! Thats quite fast. The best temp what I found was, go slow. Become the part of the task, then the task wouldnt be that difficult then.
Apologies if I was not clear in articulating this. What I meant to say is I was in the middle of the trek (in distance), and it was a walk of either 3 hours up or 3 hours down.

The stand taken by the invaders is understandable but sad part is that it continues to be so even after seventy years of independence.
Well said. Even though this a part of the history of the temple, I'm not sure why it is required to maintain it so.

Here is the plant that you might have missed which blocked the entrance...see the year 1903!!!! and we still take orders even after so called independence.
Yes, this looked like a plain slab. I think 70 years was quite sufficient to undo some of the wrongs inflicted on our historical marvels.

Khagesh

And in these Covid times 90 is threshold above 95 they are saying is O.K.
People get panicked and are rushing for Oxygen cylinders at any thing below 90.
And 80 is alarming situation.

I heard AIIMs head Dr. Guleria that even at 80 one should try to bring up the level by prone yoga exercise and pranayam e.t.c. on ones own.

This is what I received on WhatsApp.

'Forward received just now
Sharing a msg from Bharat Lal, Additional Secretary Drinking Water and Sanitation 1988 batch IAS, now recovering from Covid in AIIMS- Sir, this is my personal experience, which might be quite useful to all of us....rgds -
For the benefit of CoVid-19 patients, let me share one extremely effective way to keep Oxygen saturation level high. I’m sharing my experience, which brought huge relief to me.

I tested positive on 9th April and was brought to AIIMS on 12th April. Same evening, my Oxygen level started going down and was in lower 80’s. Here, junior doctors immediately put me on Oxygen support.

Meanwhile Dr. Guleria, Dr. Neeraj and other seniors came in the picture. Dr. Guleria said that my body at that stage doesn’t require Oxygen support. In fact he got tubes removed. He explained to me in most effective way that I have the capacity, I have the strength and I have to work hard for this requisite Oxygen. Plz don’t go for easy option. Work for it. And he made me to lie down on my chest facing downward and asked me to start deep breathing. This from the best ‘pulmonologist’ of the country.

Within few mts, my Oxygen level started improving and in next couple of hours, my Oxygen level got stabilized around 96/ 97%.

Since then they are continuously asking me to lie down on my chest/ stomach and try to sleep in this manner only. In these 5 days, whenever Oxygen level goes down, I immediately lie down on my chest and start deep breathing. Extremely effective. I will use the word ‘life saving’ and that’s why sharing it for larger benefit esp in such a challenging time...

Second point, what Dr. Guleria, Dr. Neeraj and others taught me. Don’t give up easily, don’t opt for easy options/ support. Let’s our body work for it. To tackle this virus in severe cases, at family/ individual level, one needs ‘extremely strong mind.’ So, let’s go for deep breathing exercise while lying on chest with downward face. May kindly like to consider it. Warm regards & best wishes -Bharat Lal.'

Thank you for very very informative and encouraging input not just for me for everyone during this Covid time. Lay down, deep breathing, praanaayamam, yoga etc are very very important.

Having said that, the oxygen level at ground level can be managed but at above 4000 m its a different story altogether for people from plains. There I did not have any breathing problem but definitively the symptoms of High Altitude Sickness, lack of appetite, aversion to water intake, giddiness and so on. At this juncture we just want to sleep, nothing else.

In my Leh trip travelogue one might have read, on my return, near Pang, I was doing praanaayamam while riding which helped me a lot, but the culprit was that knot of balaclava pressed under my helmet.

Once again, thank you for the most useful, reassuring message in detail.

citymonk

Super User
Once again, thank you for the most useful, reassuring message in detail.
That particular message and associated video has gone viral and now has been picked up by Mainstream media.

✍Increasing Oxygen levels by laying in Prone position does have scientific base. Doctors advice it and are recommending it to do under medical supervision.
So as SOS it can be life saver till external oxygen support comes.

Khagesh

Well said. Even though this a part of the history of the temple, I'm not sure why it is required to maintain it so.
May be the glory itself has its own tenure or life. See now, original Dwaraka on the ocean bed. What bugs me is that, for how long this appeasement and for whose benefit this deceit.
Yes, this looked like a plain slab. I think 70 years was quite sufficient to undo some of the wrongs inflicted on our historical marvels
Sorry for the typing mistake.. its not plant but plank. wrongs inflicted; we can undo these wrongs but again, generation after generation, indoctrinated otherwise.

Are we drifting from the 'travel' purpose of this site? lol.... anyways, there it goes...