My new Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFi !!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by deepaksaligram, Dec 3, 2009.

1. shamzir

shamzir Member

Take a second opinion. For how many days it was underwater? Even i faced the same situation during 2015 chennai flood. My bike was submerged in water for 4 to 5 days and in the workshop untouched for a week. The estimate i got was around rs 40,000. Later i spoke to an advisor (Arvind of souther motors chennai) who was very kind hearted and helped me. What he did was changed engine oil( free from royal enfield for flood affected vehicles), run the vehicle in idle for some time, changed engine oil again and this process repeated for 3 to 4 time. My final bill was around some 5000 out of which more than half was for electrical work. By the grace of almightly, My ds500 is running strong still.

Triprit likes this.
  2. VivekRj.Dieselhead

VivekRj.Dieselhead Member

This should work almost always, cause technically nothings happens even if the machine is completely submerged. Other than some minor damages though.
    Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Triprit likes this.
  3. Mandar_C500

Mandar_C500 Well-Known Member

Screw the mechanic,
    Water cannot damage Big End bearing / bore kit (if you have not started the bike). as you have mentioned that there was mud in the engine casing I can understand about opening and cleaning the engine, but no need to change the parts.

Regards
    Mandar

IJS and Triprit like this.
  4. John Carlton

John Carlton New Member

Here is my trusty steed in Morecambe, Lancashire, North West England, 2015 with only 545miles on the clock..so far. Great pages/ site. Keep up the good job you all do.

P1010001.JPG

IJS, Mandar_C500 and adsatinder like this.
  5. Gunin

Gunin Well-Known Member

I have a 2012 Classic 500 and clocked around 36 k Kms till date. Yesterday, when I turned on the bike, I could not hear the fuel pump priming. I checked the relay in the fuse-box and it was making a clicking sound when I turned the key to ON position. I believe this is normal behaviour of the relay?
    I proceeded to tap the fuel pump housing (below the tank) and the fuel pump whirred to life and the bike started as usual. I have some queries regarding this and any pointers would be helpful.

1. Is this an early sign of the fuel pump's failure?

2. As RE doesn't sell the fuel pump motor separately (most likely the part which has gone bad) and the whole fuel pump assembly is quite expensive (around Rs.15 k), is it possible to repair the motor or get the motor separately?

3. I have read that some car's fuel pump motor is compatible with the RE but have not come across any conclusive report on the same. Any feedback on this would be really helpful [​IMG]

Thanks.

shamzir likes this.
  6. shamzir

shamzir Member

May be some connector problem. Remove the fuel pump and clean it. There are videos on youtube that clearly explains the procedure to dismantle and clean. If you dont have the tools, seek the help of a mechanic.

From my knowlege, repairing motor is not possible as it is facory sealed. You cannot buy the motor seperately either. It is sold as an assembly.

Chevy spark petrol fuel pump motor works. It is not a direct fit. You will have to do some filing. No one knows what will happend in the long run.
    And for the relay clicking sound, it is normal.

IJS and Gunin like this.
  7. soulsurfer84

soulsurfer84 New Member

8. supriyfale

supriyfale RiderByChance

Guys,

I have a Desert Storm which is 2 yrs old and ran 12000 kms.

Recently I've started hearing a loud metallic sound in the Morning when I start the bike. It is a loud sound like metal hitting metal. It goes away when the engine gets warm. There is no problem in pickup.

What is this noise and how worried should I be?

Awaiting your guidance.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all of you.

Supriy Fale Thane

9. Gaurav Chopra

Gaurav Chopra zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it

It is most probably the sound of tappets-the UCE engines have hydraulic tappets-overnight the the oil drains off from the tappet and when you start the engine ,the metal hits each other and hence the sound -in a couple of seconds the oil from the pump reaches the tappet and it is filled with oil and the noise goes away-it should not be too much of a problem for a couple of thousand kms more-then get the tappet changed or repaired(if the ball valve in the tappet can be repaired reliably)

IJS likes this.
  10. supriyfale

supriyfale RiderByChance

Thanks Gaurav.

Will keep an ear to the noise.

Regards,
    Supriy