My Quench of Exploration -- My travel diary to Dayara Bugyal, Himalayas

always.poised

प्रथम उपाख्यान -- Episode - 1
बालावस्था -- Back to the childhood

कुतूहल - The Curiosity...

It was the year 1995, A seed of craziness was planted in me and this further grew to be the curiosity. I was in my 9th Standard, the place where I lived was Ramgundam, a town in Telangana State. This place had few hills and greenery though the temperature is/was quite hot. It was during the summer holidays where I had this thought of trekking to one of the hills nearby, just to see what is up there! I used to go to my school this way and I was always curious to know what would be up there and wonder how would it look from the top. That moment, I decided to experience this and I still remember that adventurous (LOL) day when I decided to at least walk up the hill half way and come back. My initial estimation about this hill was "trekkable and walkable" However, this hill had no defined pathway and it looked gigantic when I reached the foothill. I really wish I had a pic! It was around 4.00 PM when I started my walk. It was quite a task and approximately I had walked about 2km to reach the hilltop and it took about an hour. It was very hot, but I was really amazed by my achievement. Though it looked deserted and crazy and a little scary, I enjoyed the time! I promised my mom to reach home by 6 PM, but it was almost 5.30 PM when I started descending. That moment, I did not care about anything. I was jumping with joy after experiencing that and I still remember that view of the beautiful reservoir which was adjacent to this hill... MAN, it looked like a sea :)

विजय - Victorious

At that hilltop, I told this to myself --- We should do something bigger and crazier than this and it should definitely be the white mountains...
And it took 24 years to fulfill that :D

द्वितीया उपाख्यान -- Episode - 2

परिक्रमण प्रवर्तयितृ -- Introduction to my hiking

As stated earlier on my secondary motivators[secondary because my mind was primary... :)] towards trekking, my friend Bhagya, who had done multiple treks had recently completed her trek to Deoriatal Chandrashila peak trek thru a trekking community called India Hikes. I browsed thru their website and found to be very intriguing. Their content is informative, exciting and meaningful too! While I was contemplating on what altitude should I start, Bhagya suggested Dayara Bugyal. She also quoted that it is one of her dream destinations and it got me more excited. I checked the altitude and it was mentioned as 12057 ft which is definitely a high altitude trek for beginners! As I went thru the web page for Dayara Bugyal imagining me climbing the mountains, my thirst towards exploration also inclined.

Dayara Bugyal it is then!!!

तृतीय उपाख्यान -- Episode - 3

परिक्रमण पूर्वक्रिया - Initial preparation for the trek

Never knew that a trekking community would be so much professional until I met India Hikes. I am not trying to advertise here, but it left me awestruck with their guidance, professionalism, and care. It not only gave me great motivation but also helped to maintain my fitness levels. India Hikes call them as a trekking community rather than an organization as their main intent is to motivate self trekking. So, after I completed my sign up and other initial formalities, I received an email with some tips and pre-requisites in order to qualify for trekking Dayara Bugyal. The foremost thing was fitness and to certify this, we were asked to run/jog 5 kilometers. The target to achieve the same was 35 and 45 min. respectively. Initially, it looked and sounded easy until I put into practice. Though I've been maintaining my "so-called" fitness by playing badminton on a daily basis, this task of run/jog looked too big for me. Again a special thanks to my friend Santosh for motivating me and virtually training me by providing handy tips to achieve the same! Santosh's words -- "Mountains are not to be taken lightly!!" always echo in my ears even now and you all will read and know it in the later part of this blog! LOL

I had exactly about 33 days to prepare for the trek and believe me! YOU REALLY NEED TO THROW YOUR BODY! I followed a very simple pattern of interval workout and it took me about 2 weeks to achieve my target. I used to play badminton in the mornings, run in the evenings and no additional workout in the gym. Following a certain breathing pattern while running helps you very much in maintaining the equilibrium of your breath and this will come more than handy especially when you are climbing. My confidence level grew higher n higher whenever I see myself soaked in sweat and that satisfaction of a cold shower right after my run :p
Being a foodie, I could not maintain a very strict diet but whatever I ate was healthy :)

प्रतन्यते -- To be continued...

Sanswam

Santosh Swaminathan
Good going.. let's cut the chase and get to the main story... Excited for it... Few pictures or videos will add more meaning to the blog...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

adsatinder

explorer
प्रथम उपाख्यान -- Episode - 1
बालावस्था -- Back to the childhood

कुतूहल - The Curiosity...

It was the year 1995, A seed of craziness was planted in me and this further grew to be the curiosity. I was in my 9th Standard, the place where I lived was Ramgundam, a town in Telangana State. This place had few hills and greenery though the temperature is/was quite hot. It was during the summer holidays where I had this thought of trekking to one of the hills nearby, just to see what is up there! I used to go to my school this way and I was always curious to know what would be up there and wonder how would it look from the top. That moment, I decided to experience this and I still remember that adventurous (LOL) day when I decided to at least walk up the hill half way and come back. My initial estimation about this hill was "trekkable and walkable" However, this hill had no defined pathway and it looked gigantic when I reached the foothill. I really wish I had a pic! It was around 4.00 PM when I started my walk. It was quite a task and approximately I had walked about 2km to reach the hilltop and it took about an hour. It was very hot, but I was really amazed by my achievement. Though it looked deserted and crazy and a little scary, I enjoyed the time! I promised my mom to reach home by 6 PM, but it was almost 5.30 PM when I started descending. That moment, I did not care about anything. I was jumping with joy after experiencing that and I still remember that view of the beautiful reservoir which was adjacent to this hill... MAN, it looked like a sea :)
Which Hill was that in this map ?