My Quench of Exploration -- My travel diary to Dayara Bugyal, Himalayas

always.poised

प्रथम उपाख्यान -- Episode - 1
बालावस्था -- Back to the childhood

कुतूहल - The Curiosity...

It was the year 1995, A seed of craziness was planted in me and this further grew to be the curiosity. I was in my 9th Standard, the place where I lived was Ramgundam, a town in Telangana State. This place had few hills and greenery though the temperature is/was quite hot. It was during the summer holidays where I had this thought of trekking to one of the hills nearby, just to see what is up there! I used to go to my school this way and I was always curious to know what would be up there and wonder how would it look from the top. That moment, I decided to experience this and I still remember that adventurous (LOL) day when I decided to at least walk up the hill half way and come back. My initial estimation about this hill was "trekkable and walkable" However, this hill had no defined pathway and it looked gigantic when I reached the foothill. I really wish I had a pic! It was around 4.00 PM when I started my walk. It was quite a task and approximately I had walked about 2km to reach the hilltop and it took about an hour. It was very hot, but I was really amazed by my achievement. Though it looked deserted and crazy and a little scary, I enjoyed the time! I promised my mom to reach home by 6 PM, but it was almost 5.30 PM when I started descending. That moment, I did not care about anything. I was jumping with joy after experiencing that and I still remember that view of the beautiful reservoir which was adjacent to this hill... MAN, it looked like a sea :)

विजय - Victorious

At that hilltop, I told this to myself --- We should do something bigger and crazier than this and it should definitely be the white mountains...
And it took 24 years to fulfill that :D

द्वितीया उपाख्यान -- Episode - 2

परिक्रमण प्रवर्तयितृ -- Introduction to my hiking

As stated earlier on my secondary motivators[secondary because my mind was primary... :)] towards trekking, my friend Bhagya, who had done multiple treks had recently completed her trek to Deoriatal Chandrashila peak trek thru a trekking community called India Hikes. I browsed thru their website and found to be very intriguing. Their content is informative, exciting and meaningful too! While I was contemplating on what altitude should I start, Bhagya suggested Dayara Bugyal. She also quoted that it is one of her dream destinations and it got me more excited. I checked the altitude and it was mentioned as 12057 ft which is definitely a high altitude trek for beginners! As I went thru the web page for Dayara Bugyal imagining me climbing the mountains, my thirst towards exploration also inclined.

Dayara Bugyal it is then!!!

तृतीय उपाख्यान -- Episode - 3

परिक्रमण पूर्वक्रिया - Initial preparation for the trek

Never knew that a trekking community would be so much professional until I met India Hikes. I am not trying to advertise here, but it left me awestruck with their guidance, professionalism, and care. It not only gave me great motivation but also helped to maintain my fitness levels. India Hikes call them as a trekking community rather than an organization as their main intent is to motivate self trekking. So, after I completed my sign up and other initial formalities, I received an email with some tips and pre-requisites in order to qualify for trekking Dayara Bugyal. The foremost thing was fitness and to certify this, we were asked to run/jog 5 kilometers. The target to achieve the same was 35 and 45 min. respectively. Initially, it looked and sounded easy until I put into practice. Though I've been maintaining my "so-called" fitness by playing badminton on a daily basis, this task of run/jog looked too big for me. Again a special thanks to my friend Santosh for motivating me and virtually training me by providing handy tips to achieve the same! Santosh's words -- "Mountains are not to be taken lightly!!" always echo in my ears even now and you all will read and know it in the later part of this blog! LOL

I had exactly about 33 days to prepare for the trek and believe me! YOU REALLY NEED TO THROW YOUR BODY! I followed a very simple pattern of interval workout and it took me about 2 weeks to achieve my target. I used to play badminton in the mornings, run in the evenings and no additional workout in the gym. Following a certain breathing pattern while running helps you very much in maintaining the equilibrium of your breath and this will come more than handy especially when you are climbing. My confidence level grew higher n higher whenever I see myself soaked in sweat and that satisfaction of a cold shower right after my run :p
Being a foodie, I could not maintain a very strict diet but whatever I ate was healthy :)

चतुर्थे उपाख्यान -- Episode - 4

यात्रा अभ्युदय -- Journey begins - Jun 08, 2019
तेजित - Excited!!
So our first point of the meeting was at Dehradun Railway station where I am going to meet all my fellow trekkers.
उद्घोषणा / Announcement: - Personally, I am an introvert and a very reserved person. You don't need really need to entertain me if you are my host. I enjoy my own company very much! :)
So the first journey is from Bangalore to Dehradun. I had less sleep last night because of the excitement yet I was super fresh in the morning.
1563877325194.png

Yeah..! That's me... on the way to the airport. Excited!!

My flight was at 12:50 PM and at that moment I felt like I should have wings for a few hours to be able to directly reach Dehradun. However, I had to rely on the wings of the airplane. I reached Dehradun at about 15:40 IST. As I walked out of the airport, I was welcomed by the scorching sun and the green mountains around me. My curiosity and excitement were inclining as my heart and mind were whispering that am in Uttarakhand and will soon have the grace of those white mountains! \\:D/
This seems to be the Hill
you mentioned :

View attachment 770354
yeah.. could be! :)

Sanswam

Santosh Swaminathan
Way to roll it... I can sense the excitment... Keep pouring on regular basis... And more photos pls...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

always.poised

पञ्चम उपाख्यान -- Episode - 5
यात्रा पर्यवतिष्ठति -- The journey continues...
Whenever I come across anything new in my life, I always have questions! I always believe that everything/everybody has a reason for their existence in this world. I was wondering what was the meaning of this place Dehradun. To other ignorants like me... here's the reason from Google! Dehradun itself derives its name from the historical fact that Shri Ram Rai, the eldest son of the Seventh Sikh Guru Har Rai Ji, set up his "dera" (camp) in "dun" (valley) in 1676. This 'Dera' 'Dun' later on became Dehradun. Well yeah! it is a place of some beautiful and breathtaking valleys! Though it was very hot outside, the beauty and greenery of this place are definitely to be seen! My travel from the Airport to my hotel in the city was about an hour. We were passing thru some green woods, then a couple of valleys thru the hrishikesh highway... it was a fantastic drive.

1564464211131.png

I reached my hotel at around 17:15 and it was 39 degrees outside! I was very hungry, tired and hence wished to finish an early dinner. I took out my smartphone for a piece of advice on the restaurants nearby... I chose Uss da Dhaba near Princechowk. This is a very old(almost 60+ years) and a small Dhaba which serves some lip-smacking punjabi thalis. You may check out some pics below and decide yourselves. But for me, even now I am salivating ;)

1564463862333.png
1564463963220.png

Must try is their Patiala Thali which costs around INR 121. It really made my evening! Fabulous food! In the end, do try their Mattha and Malai Lassi to satisfy your tastebuds :supz:

I came back to the hotel by 19:45. Imagining the adventure from tomorrow, I slowly slipped into a deep sleep and slept like a baby!!

always.poised

पञ्चम उपाख्यान -- Episode - 5
यात्रा पर्यवतिष्ठति -- The journey continues...
Whenever I come across anything new in my life, I always have questions! I always believe that everything/everybody has a reason for their existence in this world. I was wondering what was the meaning of this place Dehradun. To other ignorants like me... here's the reason from Google! Dehradun itself derives its name from the historical fact that Shri Ram Rai, the eldest son of the Seventh Sikh Guru Har Rai Ji, set up his "dera" (camp) in "dun" (valley) in 1676. This 'Dera' 'Dun' later on became Dehradun. Well yeah! it is a place of some beautiful and breathtaking valleys! Though it was very hot outside, the beauty and greenery of this place are definitely to be seen! My travel from the Airport to my hotel in the city was about an hour. We were passing thru some green woods, then a couple of valleys thru the hrishikesh highway... it was a fantastic drive.

View attachment 770966

I reached my hotel at around 17:15 and it was 39 degrees outside! I was very hungry, tired and hence wished to finish an early dinner. I took out my smartphone for a piece of advice on the restaurants nearby... I chose Uss da Dhaba near Princechowk. This is a very old(almost 60+ years) and a small Dhaba which serves some lip-smacking punjabi thalis. You may check out some pics below and decide yourselves. But for me, even now I am salivating ;)

View attachment 770964 View attachment 770965

Must try is their Patiala Thali which costs around INR 121. It really made my evening! Fabulous food! In the end, do try their Mattha and Malai Lassi to satisfy your tastebuds :supz:

I came back to the hotel by 19:45. Imagining the adventure from tomorrow, I slowly slipped into a deep sleep and slept like a baby!!

9-Jun-2019
षष्ठम उपाख्यान -- Episode - 6
रैथलअवगच्छति - Reach Raithal
आवर्तक आवर्तक !! - Excitement

So.. we were asked to assemble at the Dehradun Rly stn by 6:30 AM to begin our journey to the base camp - Raithal, Uttarkashi. The total distance to Raithal is about approximately 190kms and will take about 7hrs to reach to the top. The journey takes you through lovely forest stretches and beautiful mountains! The Dayara Bugyal trek starts from Raithal, Raithal is a small village. Indiahikes organizes transport from Dehradun to Raithal. We were a group of 21 trekkers and by the time we started Dehradun Rly Stn, it was almost 07.45 AM.

1564551699009.png

As we started ascending, my heart went on n on humming Yun hi chala chal raahi... Jeevan gaadi hai samay pahiya!! We came across some beautiful terrace farming on the way. I was wondered, at the same time very happy to see mountain agriculture. Very glad to see the culture of our good old organic farming.

1564554093774.png
1564555386158.png

1564556069936.png

Look at those lush green mountains. Feels like to stay here forever and ever!! :-D:-D The locals here told me that they grow vegetables and fruits here for their livelihood. We had an opportunity to taste some lovely plums and apples that were locally grown there! They were juicy, crunchy and very delicious. Here's a small glimpse of those fruits that were being sold. We paid about 20 rupees for a kg of plums and enjoyed them throughout our journey. I am very sure that I haven't tasted such tasty fruit in the recent past! It could've been ages and ages ago!

1564554453546.png
1564556193414.png

I had some delicious "Pahaadi/Garhwali" breakfast at Raawat Restaurant and continued our journey to Raithal.

पुण्य भागीरथी -- The Pious and The Pure - The Ganges! - The Bhageerathi.

From this point, most part of our journey is accompanied by the great Bhageerathi River! I have not seen the great Ganga ever before in my life and the experience was अतिशयेन वर्णयति -- exaggerating!

1564557282155.png
1564557369209.png

1564558152465.png
1564558262434.png

1564558329185.png
1564558381154.png

1564558451664.png
1564558485625.png

The largest town on the route is Uttarkashi, from where we head to Batwari. The river comes alive and gigantic as we reach Uttarkashi.

As we approach Raithal, we witnessed the brilliant colours of sunlight over Mt. Jaonli and Draupadi ka Danda peaks.

1564558635865.png
1564558683232.png

1564558760639.png

सन्तत -- to be continued...

Attachments

adsatinder

explorer
9-Jun-2019
षष्ठम उपाख्यान -- Episode - 6
रैथलअवगच्छति - Reach Raithal
आवर्तक आवर्तक !! - Excitement

View attachment 771011

View attachment 771013

सन्तत -- to be continued...
Are you having any problem with uploading pics.
Your Image resolutions are mush less and PIcs are small.

If facing any problem, you can ask us for help.
For guidance,
you can check this thread also:

How to make a picture small or Resize an Image ?

always.poised

9-Jun-2019
Time: 15:45 IST
सप्तमः उपाख्यान -- Episode - 7
शोभन रैथल - Beautiful Raithal

Raithal is our base camp to trek Dayara Bugyal. It is beautiful heaven on earth filled with lush greenery, mountains, valleys and with a crispy view of the Himalayas. Raithal is a thriving place for local life, blessed with the grace of Himalayas and nature - This is what I really felt from my heart as soon as I got down from my cab. A fresh wave of vibrant breeze hit me with grace, positive energy and excitement. It is pure and just like any beautiful hotspot a nature lover could imagine!
With very limited population who are majorly involved in farming potatoes, green peas, wheat, etc

1567575267427.png

1567575387180.png

A glimpse of Shrikant Mahadev and Gangotri ranges captured from my mobile phone. I loved it!!!

1567575409784.png

Potato Farming...

1567575429095.png

1567575572460.png

1567575646166.png

1567577052874.png

All geared up for the next day's sunrise. Will be one of my dreams come true to wake up to watch something fantastic!

always.poised

Chapter One
10 Jun 2019
Time: 05:15

आदि देव नमस्तुभ्यं प्रसीद मम भास्कर!
दिवाकर नमस्तुभ्यं प्रभाकर नमोस्तुते!!

After having one of the tight sleep, I woke up fresh to rush outside to watch the sunrise. I was pumped up with joy and ecstasy as it was the very first time to see the sunrise from the mountains. I have experience sunrises from the ocean, but this is something beyond my imagination! I was glued at the Shrikant Mahadev mountain where I could see the rays coming up to light my day with vibrancy and positivity. I had finished my Yoga Kriya and was ready to offer my salutations to the bright! As he came up, i felt like someone is imbibing some great knowledge with grace and steadiness.

1567578342737.png

1567578397199.png

1567578437250.png

1567578478914.png

1567578564171.png

Filled with all this positivity, I got ready for some adventure - Our trek!

1567578610589.png

Our itinerary :-
1. Raithal - Nayata
2. Nayata - Chilapda
3. Chilapda - Gui
4. Gui - Raithal

Get set go..!!

always.poised

10 Jun 2019 - 08:30 AM
Route: Raithal-Nayata (campsite)

Oxymeter at Nayata
On arrival - 90/127
evening - 97/99
BP - 120/90

Raithal to Barnala is a good ascend filled with beautiful oak trees and dense green woods which will blow your mind. If you are a nature lover, though this ascend is very tiring, you will realize that the wait and tiredness are worth after you reach the top. All you need to do is to just keep your eyes down and walk/climb. Looking up or looking down can end up having a sensation of whirling and a tendency to fall or stagger; dizziness. For such ascends and for the first-timers like me, the best tip is to just look down and enjoy the trek. You really cannot ignore the aroma these woods carry! So refreshing and rejuvenating. We were told by the trekking crew that in these woods, there are a varied number of medicinal trees. However, we were advised not to try any as they are really not sure of their configuration.
1568095548890.png

1568095739030.png

1568097824179.png

After ascending for more than 1000 feet, we rested at a place. This was literally a jungle experience with varieties of birds tweets, sounds of the flowing stream nearby. We are a few kms away to our camp site Nayata.

उत्तेजन तु चोदप्रवृद्ध -- inspired and filled with excitement
Nayata -- is a beautiful meadow filled with lush greenery. You can see greenery all through the place and wherever your sight reaches. First time in my life, i could hear that adventurous beat of my heart sensing some achievement. But also reminded me that this is just the beginning!

A glimpse of Nayata is below...

1568098558965.png

1568098688692.png

I couldn't imagine a better place to camp than the one posted above, though also knowing that I am going to experience something larger than this :)

Camping -- I remember the first camping in my life was way back in 1993. I was part of Scouts and Guides team in my school and due to my active participation and excitement, i was also made the captain for a Junior team. In Scouts language, it is generally called a "jamboree" where you go to different places to participate in the jamboree along with different schools in the region. So, camping is always exciting for me! We reached Nayata around lunchtime and started to pull up our tents. We were taught to install the tent and this was something that I was very much looking forward to. This was my very first time and I started exploring more about the material that is used on these tents. We were told that these tents can withstand temperatures up to -10 degrees! Magnificent!

The kitchen tent which was already installed by the kitchen crew who were there ahead of us to serve us some lip-smacking lunch! I only remember of goosebumps!
1568099653319.png

Members of the trekking team
1568099755954.png

After a successful team effort.. we have the result below... Our shelter for the rest of the day :)

1568099865281.png

सन्तत - To be continued...

Attachments