My raid de Himalaya endeavour with a stock motorcycle

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by flaxman12, Oct 31, 2018.

1. flaxman12

flaxman12 Well-Known Member

first time i was wearing body armour and boots

IMG_20180916_170402.jpg

bullt_SK, Yogesh Sarkar and sat kmr like this.
  2. Gaurav Chopra

Gaurav Chopra zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it

Great @flaxman12
    While on my Zansakar ride,met many Raid De Himalaya riders and car racers who were doing recce-Madhusudan on modified TVS RTR200,Mohammed Abrar Ahmed on Himalayan are the two riders whom i had i long talk with-infact Madhusudan rode with me to Padum and Umba La.Also the black Grand Vitara guy Capt. Gill.

N nice motocross boots-How are they wearable in warm weather?are they waterproof?Can you walk around with these?A genuine review will be beneficial-looking for riding shoes myself.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    adsatinder, flaxman12 and bali amit like this.
  3. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Wonderful, waiting for the next part.

adsatinder and flaxman12 like this.
  4. SJM1214

SJM1214 Well-Known Member

Raid De Himalaya always fascinates me. Maybe two years down the line I "ll participate in adventure category.

I got a chance to witness this rally during my 2016leh trip. We were sharing the dates with the raid. some of the extract from my 2016 .

Before planning our trip, we did a hell of a research. Everyone was saying that Leh and October don't go together. "It will be cold”, ”snow hogi”(there will be snow), “road block honge”(Road block) some even said, “tyre fat jaynege”(tyres will tear off). Another worry was, we were sharing dates with Raid de Himalayas!

So! We were already at Palchan, staying at the cosy homestay. Our Biggest question was what should we do? Do we leave before "raid" or after "raid"?

Option 1: We leave before raid competitors and let them pass us, on Rohtang top.
    Option 2: We leave after them but there were heavy chances that we get stuck in the heavy rush of Rohtang crazy tourists.

We decided to keep our self ahead of Raid De Himalaya guys. We left Palchan at 0445 and reached Gulaba Check Post. We presented our SDM permit. It was surprising to see that police guy at Gulaba CP was not sleepy and fully awake.

I tried to become friendly and asked... "kyu sahab hum ne aap ko jaga diya.nai?" ( We woke you up?)
    He was in good mood replied ...

"nai nai saab, aap ne nahi Raid walo ne puri rat jaga ke rakkha hai". (No No, Raid people kept us awake entire night)

We moved ahead, we were waiting for first light to do some photography. We missed all those amazing views on the way to Rohtang Top. We reached Marhi. We stopped at a dhaba which was fully functional at 0515. We heard some heavy noise coming from the distance, they were two KTMs and one RE Himalaya, and within 5 Minutes three Motorcycles participating under Extreme Category crossed us at Marhi Village at 0525

We met Paul Subhamoy who expired during 2016 Raid. Sharing a Rare photo o our encounter with Paul. RIP Paul.

37.jpg

Thanks for your thread. Looking forward to more updates to see Raid from the participates' point of view.

5. jitenderpathania

jitenderpathania Globetrekker

This is extreme adventure.............

flaxman12 likes this.
  6. flaxman12

hero agency which sold me motorcycle make it a big news and got it published in leading newspapers of india-here is one from rajsthan patrika

20181102_163827.jpg

adsatinder and Yogesh Sarkar like this.
  7. flaxman12

madhu is a good guy-since a long he is living in australia and doing rally race atleast since last 24 years.

adsatinder likes this.
  8. flaxman12

these are typical entry level motocross boots- manufactured in USA by fly racing maverick -quite heavy but worth-weight is around 5 pound per boot -seems uncomfortable in beginning but after wearing u will start liking these boots - better than some riding boots- buy them if u r looking for safety but not very comfortable in walking because of weight -here is detailed review

9. flaxman12

yes .i read about shubhomoy paul-even himalayan motorsports ,orgniser of raid de himalaya started a prize of raid in the memory of subhamoy paul-he was great fearless rider indeed.

adsatinder likes this.
  10. Gaurav Chopra

Gaurav Chopra zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it

flaxman12 likes this.