My RE TB 500 Motorcycle Diaries

pskanp

:grin::grin::grin:
Got my TBird 500! was so busy riding it that I forgot to tell you all friends. Everything is fine except one thing...,
it is pain in the back keeping it under 60 kmph.

Will post more with pics,
BTW has anybody tried Electra handlebar on new TBTS 500..?
if so, please enlighten.

sks3286

Got my TB500 as well... attaching a pic. She's lovely! I call her Bodhi. Though that 60 kph limit is a total pain sometimes. She just seems to be asking me to go faster. :)
TB_1.jpg

J.Ravi

Petrol Powered + Diesel Driven
Chennai>Aliyar/Sholayar Dams>Charpa/Athirapilly Falls>Chennai [1386 km] Within 28 Hours!

My Blue Bird took me for a very big ride on 19/20 December 2013. :grin:

0.jpg

-0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

My first port of call was Aliyar Dam. As a high school student, I visited there with my late father, who had worked as Assistant Executive Engineer [Mechanical] in Tamil Nadu PWD at Sholayar Dam Project, which was part of Parambikulam-Aliyar Project. The project guest house, called Aliyar House, played a major role in Tamil superhit Kadalikka Neramillai [1964]. This film was remade into many other Indian languages later. Here is a song filmed at Aliyar House:

[video=youtube;gmeSmwlX8To]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmeSmwlX8To[/video]

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

Here is another superhit song from Kadalikka Neramillai, filmed at the same ghat road:

[video=youtube;oscylVvZ-w8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oscylVvZ-w8[/video]

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

27a.jpg

28.JPG

29.JPG

Here is another superhit song from Kadalikka Neramillai filmed at Anaimalai Hills:

[video=youtube;A2Dq4CzZLaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Dq4CzZLaQ[/video]

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

35a.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.JPG

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

42.jpg

43.JPG

44.JPG

After entering Kerala, the road turned out to be very bad for the first 20 km or so. The potholed road was full of gravel, which was dangerous for the two-wheelers. My original plan was to return by the same route. But, I didn't want to ride on that gravelly potholed road in the night time. So, I changed the route via Thirssur bypass and Coimbatore bypass.

45.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

Here is a melodious duet in Tamil film Punnagai Mannan [1986] filmed at the picturesque Athirapilly Falls:

[video=youtube;9sqaqtYeitc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sqaqtYeitc[/video]

50.JPG

51.JPG

52.JPG

53.jpg

54.jpg

The return journey was a hell-at-loose from somewhere near Thrissur bypass, where the 4-lane NH ended and 2-lane with work-in-progress started all the way to Avinashi. The road condition was bad, traffic volume was at its peak, trucks and buses coming in the opposite direction did not care 2-wheelers and came directly in front of me pushing me off the road, even a few mm meant life-and-death.

After Walayar, the Blue Bird had tankful at BP COCOO on the Coimbatore bypass and I had stomachful at BP Ghar Dhaba Gowrishankar and we continued our ride to Chennai.

On the new flyovers at Avinashi and beyond, the construction joints were placed at a higher level presumably anticipating a few more layers of wearing coat. But, now they acted like back-breaking speed-breakers! The diversions were full of craters. By the time, I crossed Avinashi, I felt totally drained, was losing concentration and felt like sleeping. So, a few km before Vijayamangalam [Perundurai] toll plaza, I found a nice covered bus shelter, where I parked the Blue Bird at the side, locked, removed the tank bag and used it as a pillow, stretched my legs and plunged into deep slumber immediately. I started dreaming, details of which I cannot recollect now. At one stage, I was in the midst of flood lights pointed at me. Illumination everywhere. Then, I heard some voices. At that point, I woke up. No, it was not a dream. A highway patrolling policeman was pointing his torch at me! I got up, introduced myself and explained the situation as to why I was sleeping there. He warned me of unsafe conditions prevailing there. They received a lot of complaints against some groups of truck-drivers robbing a single person of his valuables including wallet, mobiles, etc. They would even take away the bike in their truck! He advised me to go to the next toll plaza and rest there. I thanked the cop. The time was ten past midnight. I had slept for more than 45 minutes or so. So, I continued my ride without any further rest other than refuelling at BP COCOO after Ulundurpet toll plaza.

55.JPG

This was the reading after returning home:

56.jpg

57FuelExpenses.jpg

58Total Expenses.jpg

Thanks for reading. Travelogue concluded.

Last edited:
Ravi sir you are simply superb . . . . . It would have been nice if i have someone like you in my family so that i can convince my mom and go for long solo trips

Actually i studied at thrisur and i am from palakkad. . I was at thrissur on 20 and returned home on by bird on 20 but took a much better route. . . It would have been a great experience for me if we met

Last edited:

amitw79

Super User
Ravi Sir,

Hows the solar charger holding up along with your gps?

Is it charging the gps enough while on the go?

J.Ravi

Petrol Powered + Diesel Driven
Ravi sir you are simply superb
Thanks for the appreciation, prasanthpruthvi.

It would have been a great experience for me if we met
The world is small; we will meet definitely in future! :)

Hows the solar charger holding up along with your gps? Is it charging the gps enough while on the go?
Although I took both the solar charger and MMI navigator with me during this trip, I didn't use them as I knew the route well.