My RE TB 500 Motorcycle Diaries

Mandar_C500

Re: Royal Enfield Took My Blue Bird For A Ride

Usually, my Blue Bird takes me for a long mega rides. For a change, Royal Enfield took my Blue Bird for a ride.

It all started with this.

I brought this issue of weak battery to the notice of customer care of Royal Enfield with a request to consider replacement of weak Fiamm battery with a new one as a goodwill gesture although the warranty expired just a few days back.

I received a prompt mail from the regional service manager apologizing for the inconvenience caused and assuring me of needful after getting the service history from the service manager of Royal Enfield, OMR, Chennai.

Later, the service manager called me. First, I was assured that the battery would be taken for testing, and in its place, a service battery would be fitted. He assured that with the service battery, I would be able to self-start my bike, for which I agreed, my first mistake. He took my residential address and land marks.

Then, without informing me, one SA and mechanic arrived at my home. I thought that would remove the weak Fiamm battery and fit a service battery. No. They wanted to take my bike to service station for observing and testing as instructed by their service manager. The SA did not know when it would be returned. Again, I agreed. My second mistake.

:shock:
Sorry to hear about your battery issue. We learnt a hard way in life. I have already learnt a lesson of not leaving the bike with ASS hard way. but happy now.
I have a question, Did TB has a separate battery light or it's a engine check light only?

Engine check light of bike glows for 2-3 sec when I start my bike, and then it goes off. I was told that this is a battery issue and I need to change the battery. ES and Head Light + ES works fine.
HL + Horn + indicator, then horn goes little weaker. I have tested the battery charge with the local battery walla and the reading are good, yet he mentioned that battery has gone kaput.

These all things happened (and is happening) to me from last 2-3 months. rest everything is fine.
I am not sure if I should change the battery or not?

My battery is OEM exide 3+ yrs old

--Mandar

amitw79

Super User

Sorry to hear about your battery issue. We learnt a hard way in life. I have already learnt a lesson of not leaving the bike with ASS hard way. but happy now.
I have a question, Did TB has a separate battery light or it's a engine check light only?

Engine check light of bike glows for 2-3 sec when I start my bike, and then it goes off. I was told that this is a battery issue and I need to change the battery. ES and Head Light + ES works fine.
HL + Horn + indicator, then horn goes little weaker. I have tested the battery charge with the local battery walla and the reading are good, yet he mentioned that battery has gone kaput.

These all things happened (and is happening) to me from last 2-3 months. rest everything is fine.
I am not sure if I should change the battery or not?

My battery is OEM exide 3+ yrs old

--Mandar
Yes Mandar, Thunderbird's console has got a separate battery indicator, I saw it blinking first time while first service was on.
Generally a battery has an average life of 3 something years. Probably time to replace your bike's as well :)

J.Ravi

Petrol Powered + Diesel Driven

Did TB has a separate battery light or it's a engine check light only?
The battery icon is not a light actually, but LCD on the instrument panel. It flashes, when the battery is weak. When I go for a ride, the battery gets charged and there is no flashing of the battery icon.

HL + Horn + indicator, then horn goes little weaker. My battery is OEM exide 3+ yrs old
It's time to change the battery, Mandar. :grin:

A[k]

AkshayA
And if battery gets too weak, you can get stranded for good on an FI bike Mandar. Go get it before things go out of hand :twisted:

pskanp

Just happened to see new look Tbts 500. It was odd looking to say the least. Logos were big & bold, but it was a put off for me. I was wondering why should it be changed at all. There are lots of other things to be taken care of in a Tbts500. :confused:

Sid 3:16

Royal Riders
Just happened to see new look Tbts 500. It was odd looking to say the least. Logos were big & bold, but it was a put off for me. I was wondering why should it be changed at all. There are lots of other things to be taken care of in a Tbts500. :confused:
Yes I Agree, They should be focussing more on increasing the Reliability and quality of the parts instead of introducing Bold intimidating Logos. They are going down from their Iconic Era to the Pg Era IMHO.

J.Ravi

Chennai>MetturDam>Ooty>Chennai In 24 Hours

I took my Blue Bird for a long, mega ride to Mettur Dam and Ooty on 20 May 2014.

Here are the details at a glance:

TripAtAGlance.jpg

The route:

RouteMap.jpg

MID1.jpg

Hotels.jpg

BPThoppur.jpg

DSC02357.jpg

DSC02358.jpg

DSC02359.jpg

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02361.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02370.jpg

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02379.jpg

SH.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

DSC02401.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02412.jpg

DSC02413.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

Showers greeted me and Blue Bird from Kothagiri to Ooty. I kept all my personal belongings including camera inside the tank bag duly protected by the water-proof cover. The mother of traffic jams welcomed us inside Ooty and we had to wade through km-long traffic jams all over the town. Somehow, we managed to reach the lake and clicked some pics. During the return journey too, we got drenched due to intermittent rains [including hailstorms sometimes] from Salem to Ulundurpettai and Melmaruvathur to Madurantakam. After Chengalpet, the rain stopped bothering us and we were back to sizzling Chennai exactly after 24 hours.

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

MID2.jpg

FuelExpense.jpg

Expenses.jpg

MyRides.jpg

Now that Blue Bird's weak battery must have got sufficiently charged, I don't have to bother about it for some more time. :)

Mandar_C500

Re: Chennai>MetturDam>Ooty>Chennai In 24 Hours

I took my Blue Bird for a long, mega ride :)
Sirrr please keep on riding and inspiring us to take on new rides. I always tell my friends and family members about your ride.

Really inspiring.

J.Ravi

Fifth [Paid] Servicing

Today, Blue Bird had its fifth [paid] servicing done at Jaf Auto Garage, Pudupet, Chennai. I and Blue Bird were present at 9:45 am. We were directed to get the water-wash done at another place called Sterling Water Service, which we did. Then the service started at JAF. Wurth synthetic engine oil was poured in my presence. I was recommended an engine oil additive of the same brand for which I agreed. Air filter was also replaced as recommended in the owner's manual. Brake oil was also topped up. The low beam was playing hide and seek during my recent Ooty trip. I was directed to a nearby electrician Taj, who removed the bulb, checked and refitted the headlamp assembly to find it worked flawlessly. I requested Mr Jafar Ali to test-ride Blue Bird, which he did and he certified that everything was okay. He recommended oil replacement at every 4 k km as against 6 k km specified in the owner's manual. I have decided to follow Mr Jafar Ali's recommendation. I am fully satisfied with the service rendered by JAF. :) I was back at home by 11:45 am!

WaterWash.jpg

Service.jpg

5thService.jpg

Really inspiring.
Thanks a lot for the compliments, Mandar_C500.

Last edited: