My RE TB 500 Motorcycle Diaries

J.Ravi

Petrol Powered + Diesel Driven
Yesterday, I experimented with video-recording while riding on Blue Bird. But, the main problem was finding the right mount and placing it at the right place. The existing navigator holder on the LHS of the handlebar could not be used for mounting the camcorder as it has restricted space for rotation and the obstructing cables. So, I joined the base of one more surplus handlebar holder with the top claw of another and fixed it on the RHS stem of the indicator. Then, I used my Lenovo K3 Note phone camera for video-recording, while riding, but it turned out to an utter flop as the mount could not balance the phone due to its weight and a lot of vibrations crept into the video, resulting in me discarding the maiden video attempt. Then, I tried with my XUV 500's cheap Chinese camcorder, which brought out reasonably good result.
Until better alternative arrangement is made in future, this present set-up will continue on B Bird as I don't want any helmet-mounted camcorder jutting out of my head, while riding!

_20160716_200421.jpg
IMG_20160716_112215.jpg
IMG_20160716_112250.jpg

After the video-recording of more than 16 minutes, I uploaded it to YouTube, edited it and made a short film of 2 minutes.

J.Ravi

Today, Blue Bird started chirping in the very first cranking after being in hibernation for almost a month.

During my recent Golden Quadrilateral ride, I found it very difficult to carry all the tools, spares and accessories along with the personal luggage in the saddle bag. So, I visited NH4 Motorheads, Koramangala and bought a pair of Royal Enfield crash-guard bags, costing ₹ 1,299. These bags appear to be very useful for long rides.

DSC07103.JPG
DSC07104.JPG
DSC07105.JPG
DSC07106.JPG
DSC07111.JPG
DSC07114.JPG
DSC07117.JPG

J.Ravi

Today, Blue Bird got its eighth servicing done at Sri Velavan Motors, Greams Road, Chennai, costing ₹ 2,109 inclusive of taxes. Gave the bike at 9 am, waited and got it back at 12 noon. :) Paid by credit card without any extra charges. One cracked rubber pipe going into the crank case, front brake pad set and engine oil with filter were replaced.
8thService.jpg

J.Ravi

Blue Bird has come to Bangalore today.
Had a tankful at ₹ 59.65/litre at Chennai before the price hike, left Royapettah home at 1:45 am today and reached Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 7:30 am with two breaks. Had another tankful at Hosur costing ₹ 63.76/litre after the price hike. The fuel efficiency recorded was 26.19 kmpl, thanks to climbing 3,000' altitude.

Reactions: IJS

J.Ravi

Me and Blue Bird are in Nagpur now. Last evening, I left home by 4:45 pm and started my solo-ride to Nagpur. But, my friend wanted to see me off near Yeshwantpur circle. So, we spent some time together taking selfies, photos and I finally left the place at 5:30 pm. Drizzle accompanied me at many places upto Gutti. My dinner comprised piping hot idlies bought from the roadside vendor at Ananthapur, costing just ₹ 20 for 3! Enjoyed riding through Hyderabad between 2:30 am and 3:00 am, especially on the beautiful PV Narasimha Rao Expressway. After Hyderabad, I was the lone rider, giving company to the big brothers like truck and bus drivers!
Adilabad-Hinganghat stretch has become worse than it was during last March. But, the good news is, that works are in progress in many stretches, a coupla petrol pumps have sprung up, I rode on a new second flyover, which was not there last year. There were big queues on both the sides of Hinganghat level-crossing, but I managed to squeeze through thanks to my bird!
BloreNagpur07092016.jpg

Last edited:

Mandar_C500

Me and Blue Bird are in Nagpur now. Last evening, I left home by 4:45 pm and started my solo-ride to Nagpur. But, my friend wanted to see me off near Yeshwantpur circle. So, we spent some time together taking selfies, photos and I finally left the place at 5:30 pm. Drizzle accompanied me at many places upto Gutti. My dinner comprised piping hot idlies bought from the roadside vendor at Ananthapur, costing just ₹ 20 for 3! Enjoyed riding through Hyderabad between 2:30 am and 3:00 am, especially on the beautiful PV Narasimha Rao Expressway. After Hyderabad, I was the lone rider, giving company to the big brothers like truck and bus drivers!
Adilabad-Hinganghat stretch has become worse than it was during last March. But, the good news is, that works are in progress in many stretches, a coupla petrol pumps have sprung up, I rode on a new second flyover, which was not there last year. There were big queues on both the sides of Hinganghat level-crossing, but I managed to squeeze through thanks to my bird!
View attachment 689535
Amazing sir. Heading towards LEH? your rides will always encourage people like us.
Ride safe and please keep us posted.

Regards
Mandar