Nanda Devi Raaj Jaat - Pilgrimage for Pilgrims, Trek for Trekkers and Solace for Nomads...

teufel

Re: Nanda Devi Raaj Jaat - Pilgrimage for Pilgrims, Trek for Trekkers and Solace for Nomad

Lovely log! I hope MP is not reading this :)

BINU NANDA

Re: Nanda Devi Raaj Jaat - Pilgrimage for Pilgrims, Trek for Trekkers and Solace for Nomad

Amazing. I know i have missed some thing special, especially when one has offer in hand.
Beautiful captures

Gaurav Dutt

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Updates Brother ?

ashk

Techie by profession, Nomad by heart!

Amazing account of vibrant and lively yatra. Keep updating.
Thanks!

Awesome show

Thank You!

My God. It has never stopped amazing me the quantum of weight these Pahadi-Women carry !!!
And they always have their smiles on just like their traditional nose-ring.
We also witnessed this phenomenon during our recent trip to KMY.
Compared to them our rucksack looks like a ladies handbag !!!
Superb captures of the peopls'e mood too.

Oh yeah... That's something that is astonishing to me as well! that's why I call them "Super-women"!

Thank you!

wonderful narration of a wonderful journey... waiting to see fotos of Bedini and beyond

Thanks! yeah sure!

I am spellbound brother !
You are truly making me your fan !
Through your narration + Lovely set of pics, I can easily smell the purity of the places you visiting !
0.2 RPM :D Hahahaha

That's really generous of you to say that. Thanks heaps! :)

Lovely log! I hope MP is not reading this :)

Thank you! :) Haha, I gave his the link, if he finds time, he very well might! :)

Amazing. I know i have missed some thing special, especially when one has offer in hand.
Beautiful captures

Oh you did? that's awful... But then there is always a next time!!

Thanks!

Updates Brother ?

Coming right up!

ashk

Techie by profession, Nomad by heart!

29th August

While our tent was mounted around the upper edge of the village, it was right across where the festivities were taking place in Mundoli. Before going to sleep, we could hear people singing folk songs, which of-course was being broadcasted through speakers. I could comprehend it only partially however they sounded very nice! By the time we went into our tent, it started to drizzle. The temperature plummeted once again and I started to shiver while MP was fast asleep as usual.

Around 3 in the morning, I opened my eyes to check the time and right at that moment there was a change-over in the singing crew. A lady came to the fore to perform Shiva-Chanting and trust me, it sounded almost like someone was twisting her lungs. In my humble opinion, she never had any relationship with singing or even “sur” for that matter and I felt like someone shoving a hot iron rod into my ears.

Cold and constant bleating by the lady on microphone didn’t let me enjoy the sleep again (I may sound like a snoot however I wish to have recorded that ordeal to prove my point). I got up, had a liter of water (which I left outside tent after dropping some chlorine tablets in it) and decided to go and check the condition of temporary toilets made by Sulabh Int. Last evening, we saw a plastic tank of around 500 ltr capacity outside the toilets filled to the brim. It was only half past 3 in the morning and the tank was already empty! Water had also disappeared from the tap and I was left baffled as to what had happened there? My inquisitiveness was proved to be quite expensive as I dared to enter one of the toilets. The scene there was inexplicable! I turned around in less than half a second and started to move back to our tent.

Yesterday afternoon while coming back from market, I saw a tap with running water right where the village market ends. I decided to check there once and even though I had to make that steep ascent again for continuous 10 mins, it was at least fruitful. I got the water and as it was still pitch dark, I decided to find the densest part of vegetation to take care of the early morning call.

When I came back to the tent, MP was still enjoying his sleep. Ah! At times I totally envy him, he can sleep through no matter what is the decibel score around or how inhumane the weather conditions are. I stood there and also pondered, who invited that lady to come and sing. Either her best friends or arch enemies could concoct something like that!

MP got up around 4 in the morning and never got a taste of that divine crooning. I told him about the drought that had hit the temporary toilets and someone passing by (there was a mud-road right on the roof level we had camped) said the condition is same everywhere in the village. I felt almost deflated as we didn’t have a bath yesterday and today the chances to change that looked dismal again. I didn’t exaggerate the situation while labelling it as ‘drought’ as we couldn’t even find enough water to wash our faces! We could only manage to brush our teeth with a liter of water we had left in a bottle. It was about time for us to use the wet-wipes I was carrying to freshen-up.

It was around 8 in the morning when we were ready to hit the road again. As usual, MP’s relatives decided to commute by a taxi and we chose otherwise. Today we had 15 KMs to cover with an elevation gain of 320 meters. A good breakfast was really important on such a day and we decided to have it in the market instead of the perpetual “Poori-Chole”. Bad run of my luck continued and we couldn’t even manage to find tea, leave the breakfast aside. We were told that “Lohajung” market wasn’t too far and we should get something there to eat.

“Mundoli” to “Lohajung” is hardly 20 mins walk. We looked up a decent tea-stall and had our tea with snacks.

Tea Time!

7_1.jpg

7_2.jpg

7_4.jpg

No matter where you go, Coke is ubiquitous....

7_3.jpg

Views around Lohajung

7_5.jpg

I could still see clouds in the sky however as of now, they were adding to aesthetics rather raising their head as a sign of evil.

7_6.jpg

The views started to get better from Lohajung on. Occasionally we could see a glimpse of snow-clad peak however the fast paced clouds continued to ruin my chances of taking a good shot of them.

On the way....

7_12.jpg

7_11.jpg

7_10.jpg

7_7.jpg

Seriously???

7_8.jpg

7_9.jpg

Around half past 10, we reached a small village of “Kuling”. The locals stood there affectionately with tea and biscuits in their hands. This was the time when I told MP, in the next Jaat both of us should do at least the service, even if we can’t be a part of it. MP smiled and replied “Is that really you talking?” I shrugged and said “What you take from society, must be returned back. That’s how it works!” Quite honestly, I never thought of doing something like that so far in my life. However the selfless service by the locals that I witnessed in this journey did change my thought process a little bit.

Kulling Village

7_14.jpg

7_15.jpg

7_16.jpg

7_17.jpg

7_18.jpg

7_19.jpg

7_20.jpg

7_13.jpg

Even though the road wasn’t steep, the sheer length of the route started to kick in fatigue in our bodies. 20kg of weight that I was carrying was certainly contributing a big part to it. I decided to have some glucose with water as we couldn’t see any signs of food availability. So far, I was satisfied with my water intake, which was above 5 liters a day. I wanted to keep it that way as both of us were drenched in sweat throughout the route.

More views enroute..

7_21.jpg

7_22.jpg

7_23.jpg

Around 2 in the afternoon, we managed to reach the base of “Vaan Village”. For “Roopkund” trek, most trekkers drive to this place and start their journey from here. We started to meet people wearing proper trekking attire and carrying trekking gear. “Vaan-Village” is another 1.5 KM hike from here. Even from this distance, MP and I could see that not many houses in the village were constructed with concrete rooftops. As per MP’s perception, this was the last market we would see for the next 4-5 days. I too have read somewhere online that trekking-gear is provided on rent at this place. I was hoping to get at least a sleeping bag on rent, as the cold was gradually turning out to be my biggest enemy.

After 30 mins we were at the market and it washed off all my hopes. Vaan Market has only 2-3 general stores, that’s about it. I sighed and asked MP to quickly look out for a concrete rooftop as it started to drizzle again.

We found a place right at the beginning of the market. The rooftop of the local administration office had a big tent already mounted however we managed to squeeze our tent into the remaining space. There was a water tap and temporary toilet nearby so the location was good enough. MP now decided to go and find out if the bio-metric registration was imperative for us to go beyond “Bedini Bugyal”.

the only purpose of this photo is to show the queue behind for bio-metric registration. Not the best photos for the purpose, but the only one I could find

7_24.jpg

As usual, the guy didn’t show up for the next 25 minutes and I decided to look out for him. He was in the registration queue and quite near the finishing line. I looked at him in disbelief and got into the queue myself. In next 20 mins, both of us had our biometric registrations card.

Here, let me say that both the health fitness card and the biometric registration card were never checked in the entire journey. Not even once anyone asked for it. I considered both of them as utter waste of time for everyone, the administration and the public.

this kid was helping his father in keeping the water available in toilets. I had a few words with him and he could recognise me in the entire village for the next 12 hours!

7_25.jpg

It was time to have some lunch and we didn’t have a particularly heavy breakfast. We found a place where the guy was providing “lentil-rice” and we decided to choose that over the usual free food.

7_26.jpg

7_27.jpg

Shots while roaming around the village

7_28.jpg

7_30.jpg

With lunch done, MP wanted to see the festivities as this was the last village on this journey. I too felt curious and we decided to head towards the main temple compound. The compound was already overcrowded and ceremonies had started with the traditional dance. As MP joined the villagers and tried to match their steps, I had to step into the circle to shoot video. I had to leave my slip-ons outside, which eventually got lost in the crowd. I told MP that my slip-ons are gone!

Photos of the incredible traditional dance...

7_31.jpg

7_32.jpg

7_33.jpg

7_34.jpg

7_35.jpg

7_36.jpg

7_37.jpg

7_38.jpg

And the nose-ring affair continues...

7_39.jpg

7_40.jpg

7_50.jpg

7_44.jpg

7_41.jpg

More smiles

7_42.jpg

7_48.jpg

7_47.jpg

7_46.jpg

7_45.jpg

7_49.jpg

Next, the “Chatolis” and palanquins started to come and the entire atmosphere turned wild.

7_51.jpg

At this moment, it was difficult to even hold a camera as one didn’t know what would hit it from where. After the two palanquins had come, I decided to stand on a box kept on a corner and managed to get some photograph of the third palanquin. And then the irony struck again, the third palanquin was kept right next to me and we were asked to make some space for it and “Chausingya, the ram”.

People were putting money into the vests that Chausingya wore...

7_55.jpg

7_54.jpg

7_53.jpg

7_52.jpg

Eventually I had to move out and I almost reached the exit gate. I was bare-foot all this time and as the sun was about to set, the temperature started to plummet again. I decided to go back to the tent and put my trekking shoe back-on. I tried to look out for MP however no use.

7_59.jpg

7_58.jpg

7_57.jpg

7_56.jpg

After an hour, MP came back with my slip-ons in his hands. He was waiting for me in the temple compound after finding them successfully. He saw a few more palanquins coming through and loved the proceedings. He said it was a “spine-chilling” experience. I gave him a baffled look which just made him roll his eyes.

We decided to have an early dinner and this time MP’s relatives had shown us a place. Run by a local villager, RPM (roti-per-minute) throughput was much faster at 2RPM. We had dinner and came back to our tent. As we were right beside the main road, we could see a huge tent-setup almost hundred meters away, with a big stage and substantial gathering. The horrors of last night’s singer came to my head and I wanted to sleep as soon as possible. While MP curiously watched the proceedings at that congregation, I dozed off.

pops8906

nice updates

SHEKHAR 257

Be a Good person but Don't try to Prove.

This travelogue is DIVINE.

Thanx a lot for sharing.:)

viveksheelsingh

bahut hi mazaa aa gaya. The portriats of Garhwali women folk with the traditional noserings are classic.
Long long ago there was an episode on DD-1 (in some serial - cant remember) around the nose-ring adorned by Kumaoni women (theme- cant recall, but the nosering was central to the story) .... any one remember ??

Gaurav Dutt

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Bhai, You are showing me some fabulous stuff !
Amazing Coverage !

BHOOTER RAJA

Chalo .......let's go.

Excellent coverage of the jatra. Lovely photos... Enjoy.