NAS, Application server etc. Etc. With Netbook and home router

I was going to buy Raspberry Pi for my NAS - Network attached storage, then I realize I have a netbook with no working screen. So installed Windows 7 on it and will be using as NAS, Torrent downloader and all. Don't have to keep netbook running all the time as configured it for WAKE ON LAN.

Wake on Lan is working with my Android Phone too :D

Technology does make a mess :D

So now I have NAS, Torrent Engine, Applications and everything you can do with Network Attached Computer.

Now would like to make a cabinate with Fans to accomodate all this .. Probably a wooden cabinet.

Attachments

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Abhinav,
Kuch samajh nahi aaya. How can a tab with no screen work? How come you have a LAN on your phone?
I would really like a setup something similar to keep all my media together, however I dont have a NAS.

Dry Ice

Interesting project! Waiting for details. :)

Abhinav,
Kuch samajh nahi aaya. How can a tab with no screen work? How come you have a LAN on your phone?
I would really like a setup something similar to keep all my media together, however I dont have a NAS.
If you want media 'streaming' - check out xbmc and plex. You can install the server on any of the older computers lying around, connect your external HDDs etc. You can then access your media on any of the devices on the same network either using standalone apps or through the web browser. I am working to setting up something similar. It will work with your existing devices so doesn't need any extra expense*

*Conditions apply. :D
Plex app for android costs 300 bucks.

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
What about RAID ?
Primary purpose of NAS is not only streaming but also securing data, So that in case of any eventuality your data remains safe.
Also normal hardisks (external or internal) are not meant for 24X7 operations, hence tend to fail very soon.

I am using Synology & Netgear NAS systems (4 bays each with 32TB space, configured in X-Raid configuration) in my home for my media & important data storage.
Same is connected with my 3 TVs, XBox, Laptops, DTH and mobiles.

Abhinav,
I had a netbook with no working screen, So I installed windows 7 on the harddrive of Netbook by connecting it to another laptop, Windows 7 pretty much Installs all the drivers itself. Hence I just installed Harddrive on Netbook and it installed all the Drivers on Netbook.
Before Installing harddrive on netbook with broken screen I allowed remote desktop so as soon as I attached harddrive to netbook I was able to work on it by taking remote desktop from another computer.

If you have home router Airtel, BSNL or any other and you surf internet on Phone then you are already on your Home Network.
Your home router allows upto 254 devices to connect.

Ip Address of your router can be 192.168.1.1 and any other device you connect to your wifi has IP Address starting from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. So all your home devices which connects to your router is on LAN Network.

Interesting project! Waiting for details. :)

If you want media 'streaming' - check out xbmc and plex. You can install the server on any of the older computers lying around, connect your external HDDs etc. You can then access your media on any of the devices on the same network either using standalone apps or through the web browser. I am working to setting up something similar. It will work with your existing devices so doesn't need any extra expense*

*Conditions apply. :D
Plex app for android costs 300 bucks.
Yes I thought of PLEX and XBMC at first when I was thinking to buy raspberry pi+. May be I will do it in near future.

Great NAS.....................
Great DIY.................
Great Project........

Any Mobile driven / based NAS possible ?
I want cheapest / power saving technique.

WD Black HDD is good for NAS ?
Amazon.in: Buy WD Black 2TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive Online at Low Prices in India | WD Reviews & Ratings
Yes Satinder Ji you can use your phone for NAS however there are Limitations.

1. USB OTG is not always good for accessing large files such as HD Videos. Plus it is Slow.
2. Phone will be heated if you constantly use it for Media streaming or copying big files.
3. Phones can not be turned ON or OFF by Remote commands. So you have to keep it running 24/7 which is not feasible for any phone with hardrives connected.

You can buy any Hardisk you want and can use it for NAS if you have any Old Computer lying, Standalone NAS devices are way expensive for home use.

What about RAID ?
Primary purpose of NAS is not only streaming but also securing data, So that in case of any eventuality your data remains safe.
Also normal hardisks (external or internal) are not meant for 24X7 operations, hence tend to fail very soon.

I am using Synology & Netgear NAS systems (4 bays each with 32TB space, configured in X-Raid configuration) in my home for my media & important data storage.
Same is connected with my 3 TVs, XBox, Laptops, DTH and mobiles.
It is cost effective solution who have old computer or old laptop lying around which don't have much use.

Wake on LAN feature can be used in this scenario in this case your HDD's are not running always, Even he computer will be in Standby mode, You just send press a button on your other laptop or android phone and that computer will wake up thus giving you access to your attached HDD's.

By far my method should be the most Power Saver NAS you can think of because everything is OFF until you want them to.
You can also backup your data, Just set wake computer on specified interval of time on BIOS setting and it will take backup on specified Interval and go to Standby after taking backup.

This total NAS thingy costed me NOTHING

WakeOnLAN app for android and computers are absolutely free. :D

One more addition here

Ever thought Your old Android Phone can do much more than just sitting in your Drawer or Almirah ?

Yes you can use your old Android Phone to run multiple "Servers" FTP, Email, Samba, DLNA, you name it you get it.

So I was thinking how can I Stream Videos/Music from an Android phone to my computer or to another android phone.

I have an old Samsung Galaxy Core i8262 phone with 128GB SDCARD formatted as FAT32 with custom ROM. So after much Trial and Error, Here I present the Smallest NAS Server (Network Attached Storage), By which you can Stream Videos/Music access Access any file on Network through Computer/Another phone.
And best of all this NAS Server sits in your Pocket, Unlike some other NAS which takes up half of your Computer table.

Screenshot_2015-08-04-19-40-32.png
Screenshot_2015-08-04-19-40-46.png
Screenshot_2015-08-04-19-41-24.png

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Great NAS !
Great Portability !

Please tell how to configure these settings ?