Need advice in tuning/modifying Leh - Ladakh itinerary.

mobndash

HI Members,
I need help in tuning/modifying the itinerary or Leh-Ladakh ride. We are planning to leave Delhi by bike on 29th June 2019 with 12 Days plan and 2 extra days as a buffer(We would like to be back to Delhi by 13th July 2019 or 14th July 2019). We want to start off by covering Killar Kishtwar route(hence Delhi to Chamba) as we want to experience the thrill. We are planning to head Srinagar from Kishtwar and then to Leh as this would help us in covering almost iconic destinations. I would appreciate advice/help if the attached itinerary can be tuned/modified so that the entire tour doenst seems hectic. I missed a day or two to include in Leh as we want to cover Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, Tso moriri. We are also interested in covering Keylong, Chandratal, Spiti Kaza on detour. Kindly advice. TIA

Attachments

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
The first leg of your plan i.e. from Delhi to Srinagar via Sach Pass and Kishtwar is not doable in 3 days. You will need at least 5 days for it.

Covering Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso and Tso Moriri in 3 days is not possible. Even if you ride 12 hours each day, you will still need at least 3 days to cover these.

Take out Spiti leg completely out of your plan, it is not feasible either.

Frankly speaking, unless you are planning on riding 16 hours a day, you need at least 20 days to cover all the places you are planning to cover in a matter of 12 days!

If you cannot increase the number of days in hand, then stick to one circuit i.e. Ladakh and cover it, rather than trying to squeeze everything in a single ride.

mobndash

Thank you for the suggestions.:)
Could you please help in planning the itinerary keeping the above points in consideration.
Thank you:)

mobndash

OR is it possible to skip Killar - Kishtwar and directly start our journey from Delhi - Srinagar route. What should be itinerary in this case?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
With 12 days in hand, this is the most you can cover:

Day 1: Delhi to Jammu/Udhampur

Day 2: Jammu/Udhampur to Srinagar

Day 3: Srinagar to Kargil (or Lamayuru if there is enough day light available), en route you can cover Sonamarg and Drass War Memorial.

Day 4: Kargil to Leh, en route you can visit Maitreya Statue at Mulbek, Lamayuru Monastery, Indus and Zanskar Confluence, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib and Magnetic Hill.

Day 5: Get the inner line permit for Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso and Tso Moriri. Get the bike checked if the need be and do some local sightseeing; Shanti Stupa, Hall of Fame, Leh Palace, Tsemo Gompa and the main market.

Day 6: Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardung La, first visit Sumur Monastery and Panamik Hot Springs, then head to Hunder for night stay.

Day 7: Visit Hunder Sand Dunes and Diskit Maitreya Statue, then head to Pangong Tso via the Agham – Shyok route. Stay at Spangmik. Get the fuel filled at Diskit Petrol Pump.

Day 8: Spangmik – Chushul – Nyoma – Mahe – Tso Moriri, make sure to start early in the morning, it is going to take 12 hours or more.

Day 9: Tso Moriri to Sarchu, en route visit Tso Kar lake.

Day 10: Sarchu to Manali

Day 11: Manali to Delhi

This gives you a buffer day, in case you are delayed en route. Alternatively, you can visit Hanle and spend the night there, before heading to Tso Moriri.

You will need enough fuel for 740 km in order to do this route (after refueling at Diskit) or buy fuel from black. If you visit Hanle, you will need more fuel for additional 100 km.

Adding Sach Pass is possible but it will only make the trip more hectic and you will not be able to do the Kishtwar route.