Need suggestion: Manual vs Automatic for a 4x4 Jeep Compass

chauhan_ait

The tourer
Hello all,

I need some expert advice on whether Automatic transmission in 4x4 Jeep compass pose any limitations? Is it better to go go Manual, so that you can be sure which gear you are in when you are trying to use 4x4 in some tricky situation. I've heard that automatic transmission sometimes doesn't choose right gear, so your 4x4 is rendered kind of useless. Any experiences, expert advice on this matter is welcome.

Thanks
Pankaj

AnupamR

Super User
Brother, Go for Automatic without giving a second thought.

Technology has improved beyond imagination and automatic is always fun to drive.

Majority of Automatic cars can be driven in Manual mode as well so you can downshift or up-shift whenever you want depending upon Terrain, mood and driving style.

Car's are smart enough these days and hopefully Manual Transmission will be obsolete sometime soon in India.

Cheers!!

Hello all,

I need some expert advice on whether Automatic transmission in 4x4 Jeep compass pose any limitations? Is it better to go go Manual, so that you can be sure which gear you are in when you are trying to use 4x4 in some tricky situation. I've heard that automatic transmission sometimes doesn't choose right gear, so your 4x4 is rendered kind of useless. Any experiences, expert advice on this matter is welcome.

Thanks
Pankaj

Theloststory

Agree with Anupam. Go automatic. Modern automatics are indeed superb. You will bless yourself, considering traffic is only going to get worse.
After driving manual for close to 15 years, I have developed a perpetual pain in my left knee, called ‘clutch knee’. Now I wish for an automatic with a bit of autonomous driving so in dense bumper to bumpe traffic I can let the car drive itself while I check and answer my emails.
My new car is an automatic 4x4 with a manual over ride (almost all autos will have it) and the only time I use a manual is while going downhill for selecting a lower gear.
Jeep Compass is a fabulous car. Will you wait for the new facelifted models?

chauhan_ait

The tourer
Brother, Go for Automatic without giving a second thought.

Technology has improved beyond imagination and automatic is always fun to drive.

Majority of Automatic cars can be driven in Manual mode as well so you can downshift or up-shift whenever you want depending upon Terrain, mood and driving style.

Car's are smart enough these days and hopefully Manual Transmission will be obsolete sometime soon in India.

Cheers!!
Thank you Anupam!

chauhan_ait

The tourer
Agree with Anupam. Go automatic. Modern automatics are indeed superb. You will bless yourself, considering traffic is only going to get worse.
After driving manual for close to 15 years, I have developed a perpetual pain in my left knee, called ‘clutch knee’. Now I wish for an automatic with a bit of autonomous driving so in dense bumper to bumpe traffic I can let the car drive itself while I check and answer my emails.
My new car is an automatic 4x4 with a manual over ride (almost all autos will have it) and the only time I use a manual is while going downhill for selecting a lower gear.
Jeep Compass is a fabulous car. Will you wait for the new facelifted models?
Thank you. I also agree that automatic is blessing in city, i have been driving manual for last 12 years and loved when i drove Automatic (Took test drive of Hyundai Tuscon). Yes i am going for facelift. My main concern is selecting lower gear in Hill decent, and some tricky snow conditions. I am not sure whether compass has manual override, i'll check it out when test drive starts in Feb (Have to wait for Facelift to be available for test drive, Jeep dealers have sold last of their old models so none is available for test drive)

AnupamR

Super User
Modern Automatic cars are really bliss to drive, be it City or Hill.

I drive Automatic AWD and in Sport Mode I can drive exactly like Manual transmission and can upshift/downshift by paddle shifters however over the period I have realized that the computer is so smart and works flawless in Auto-Drive Mode so its useless to take extra pain in but and now I hardly use that feature often.

One may use manual override while overtaking or exiting highway from 100Km zone to 50Km zone but again not necessarily required with modern cars. Even I haven’t used Manual mode in extreme snow.

Even while driving downhill I never missed the engine braking as the moment brake is applied the car automatically downshifts and applies engine braking.

I drove Manual Transmission for approximately 25 years starting from Ambassador and now I love driving Automatic.

90% of cars here in North America are Automatic and Manual Transmission dominates the automotive market in Europe, Asia & Africa but slowly picking up.

Trust me, your complete perception will bound to change just within 3 months of driving.

Will love to hear your experience so do share that.

Cheers!!

Thank you. I also agree that automatic is blessing in city, i have been driving manual for last 12 years and loved when i drove Automatic (Took test drive of Hyundai Tuscon). Yes i am going for facelift. My main concern is selecting lower gear in Hill decent, and some tricky snow conditions. I am not sure whether compass has manual override, i'll check it out when test drive starts in Feb (Have to wait for Facelift to be available for test drive, Jeep dealers have sold last of their old models so none is available for test drive)

Last edited:

chauhan_ait

The tourer
Modern Automatic cars are really bliss to drive, be it City or Hill.

I drive Automatic AWD and in Sport Mode I can drive exactly like Manual transmission and can upshift/downshift by paddle shifters however over the period I have realized that the computer is so smart and works flawless in Auto-Drive Mode so its useless to take extra pain in but and now I hardly use that feature often.

One may use manual override while overtaking or exiting highway from 100Km zone to 50Km zone but again not necessarily required with modern cars. Even I haven’t used Manual mode in extreme snow.

Even while driving downhill I never missed the engine braking as the moment brake is applied the car automatically downshifts and applies engine braking.

I drove Manual Transmission for approximately 25 years starting from Ambassador and now I love driving Automatic.

90% of cars here in North America are Automatic and Manual Transmission dominates the automotive market in Europe, Asia & Africa but slowly picking up.

Trust me, your complete perception will bound to change just within 3 months of driving.

Will love to hear your experience so do share that.

Cheers!!
Thank you Anupam! This gives me confidence. I think my apprehension is just because of fact that I have driven only Manual till date, & Automatic for less than 50KM. So Automatic it is for me! will go ahead with Automatic. I'll post experience once my compass is delivered :)

Thank you!

chauhan_ait

The tourer
One more question: it may sound silly. I heard we can't use good old gear lock with automatics, how is vehicle safety ensured (In India) for automatics? I used to believe that electronic safety measures like locking, Alarm, GPS are not as good as reliable gear lock?

Thanks
Pankaj

Automatic. Always go for automatic now. The only reason not to go automatic is if you plan on being a street racer. As someone who wants to drive like a responsible adult, whether it is for on or off road, you should always go for automantic.

AnupamR

Super User
Once I lost my gear lock key in Haridwar, one Taxi driver from parking lot called a locksmith and he broke the lock in less than 10 mins.

I was surprised to see that but truth is truth. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One more question: it may sound silly. I heard we can't use good old gear lock with automatics, how is vehicle safety ensured (In India) for automatics? I used to believe that electronic safety measures like locking, Alarm, GPS are not as good as reliable gear lock?

Thanks
Pankaj

Last edited: