Nepal: Muktinath

earthian

Wanderer
My parents are visiting us and we thought it would be nice to take a family outing. One place they have wanted to visit is Muktinath in Nepal. Could i get advise on what could be a 7-9 day itinerary ? My parents are in their 80's; but reasonably fit. We can afford to splurge a bit and travel by Air, helicopter or the most convenient transport and stay at good resorts.
Would appreciate getting a bit of advise since the last trip we made to Nepal was way back in the early 90's. We intend during this trip, if possible, during September. ie this month.

Needs

Hi Earthian,
I ve recently visited muktinath, from my experience this is what i can suggest
Day 1- From your city to kathmandu by flight, overnight at kathmandu
Day 2 - visit kathmandu, probably pashupatinath temple or just the city if u havent visited ktm or i can fly to pokhara and stay there
Day 3 and 4 - visit pokhara, lots of things to do , lots of lakes there can do boating, caves and gud thing is that the caves comes with temples, world peace stupa, mounteneering musuem, sunrise/sunset points and so on. U may find a lot of decent hotel there, may be a spa hotel , temple tree spa hotel is one of the good one.i am recommending this hotel because i always wanted to stay there not i ve stayed there.
Day 5- u might choose to go by air to jomsom airport from pokhara whic would take 45 minutes and the same day u can reach muktimath temple but i wont recommend that since the flight schedule are not that fixed and also not that safe since the aircrafts are old. U can get a 4×4 luxury one with a driver from ur hotel or some travel agency who ll take u to muktinath in s single day but i would recommend u guys to stay at tatopani (a place on the way with natural hot spring water) which is very gud for all the tierdness and for u and ur parents health. So overnight at tatopani.
Day 6- nice and early u can head towards muktinath temple which would take 4-5 hours. I would suggest u to reach the temple before 12.00 noon as it closes from 12-1 o clock noon. After temple u can visit kagbeni, its a very old village. And i would also recommend u guys to stay overnight at Marpha,(just few kilometers back from jomsom on the way to pokhara) its a village which is famous for apples and lots of apple products , the one is apple brandy (named as 'Marpha'). Its really a cool place, not much crowded and with its iconic houses its a must place to stay.
Day 7- so u can ve a short visit the village and apple farm and travel back to pokhara and relax.
Day 8- fly back to ktm and stay or fly ealry to ktm and take aflight back to ur city. Its upto u .
Besides this u can always stretch or shorten ur stay in muktinath area or pokhara or ktm. If u decide to stay one more day in miktinath definately check out a glacier lake near from jomsom, i forgot the name its a gr8 place. Rest of the things u can check out with the locals as they are the best guides. Nway ve a wonderful trip. Gud luck. Hope this helps u. Cheers.

Ooh ya..and on the way back from jomsom to pokhara do check out the suspension bridge over one of the deepest gorge in nepal, @ Kusma, parbat. It quite long as well. Just a 5 min detour from the main highway.

Last edited by a moderator:

earthian

Wanderer
Hello Needs,
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I rather suspect that you became a member so that you could reply to me. So very kind of you.
I shall check out your program and maybe trouble you again, if you don't mind.

Needs

Not a problem mate, and u guessed it right and also to share my experience and learn from other's.
Always happy to help, do let me know if i could be any help.
Cheers.