New Delhi - Manali best route and route update

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by dksarker, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dksarker

dksarker Guru

From my experience I have found having some knowledge about route always pays off. It helps you to choose a route which is quicker to reach your destination or to decide on a more enjoyable route (Scenic / some attraction on the way etc.) which may not be the fastest but preferable.

While planning a travel it always helps if you have some ready and recent information about the road conditions. This is helpful in planning and chosing a route. You will find many people asking about route input of a particular destination. My plan is to provide a common place where people can search and get the route information and latest update. I need all other forum member's help to make this a better place to share information about various routes. With this intention I am starting this thread of New Delhi - Manali best route and route update

If anyone can post photos of the latest road condition or may be something interesting on the road in these routes please do post your photos here to make things more colorful and enjoyable. Also please do not forget to put your journey dates so that people can refer how recent the updates are.

Here are my inputs on the New Delhi - Manali best route and route update:

1. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Banaur - Kharar - Rupnagar - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (548 KM)

2. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Chandigarh - kharar - Rupnagar- Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (560 KM)

3. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Panchkula - Pinjor - Baddi - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (544 KM)

4. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Panchkula - kalka - Dharampur - Sabathu - Bradighat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (552 KM)
    Being a residence of South India (Chennai) till now I have only travled to Manali by car once. I took this route as per suggestion of some local people after already making the mistake of taking the route through Kalka not knowing about the route which direstly leads to Bilaspur. But I found this route was OK when I travelled on October 2011. The road from Dharampur - Sabathu - Bradighat was very narrow hill roads with very less traffic. There were plenty of junctions and I did make few wrong turn on our way to Bilaspur.

5. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Panchkula - kalka - Solan - Jutogh - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (610 KM)

I know there are many expert in our forum who has tons of experience on on this route. So seek suggestion and route update here so that others can use this for reference for planning their trips.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  2. KurtRules

KurtRules Come as you are!

1. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Banaur - Kharar - Rupnagar - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (548 KM)

From Kiratpur to Ghaghas [9kms ahead of bilaspur], the route has a lot of potholes on the way [NH-22]. After that, it is fine all the way.

Remember - Ghaghas to Manali, the road is just fine, as so is the road from Delhi to CHD. So I will be posting the latest status update from the road from CHD to Ghaghas.

2. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Chandigarh - kharar - Rupnagar- Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (560 KM)

Same as above

3. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Panchkula - Pinjor - Baddi - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (544 KM)

The actual route is Panchkula - Pinjore - Baddi - Nalagharh - Swarghat - Bilaspur

The road is narrow and really bad from Nalagarh to Swarghat. This route is not worthwhile taking. It is better you take the route above, as that is quicker and in better shape.

4. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Panchkula - kalka - Dharampur - Sabathu - Bradighat - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (552 KM)

This is one route that I have taken multiple times, and I find it the best route. You take a left from Dharampur and carry to Sabathu and then to Kunihar and further to 7 kms before Arki, you take a left turn for Piplughat and then for Bararighat which is on the NH-88 [Simla - Bilaspur highway]. You carry on for 10 more kms to Brhmpukhar and from there, you turn right for Ghaghas where you join the NH-22 again [9 kms ahead of Bilaspur]. I find this route the best, why, because it is devoid of any traffic/trucks and I get to enjoy the interior mountain roads/State highways for a longer duration, before I finally hit the national highway.

5. New Delhi - Karnal - Ambala City - Zirakpur - Panchkula - kalka - Solan - Jutogh - Bilaspur - Mandi - Aut - Kullu - Manali (610 KM)

This is worthless! Why? Because there is no point going up to Jutogh [near Simla] and then coming back on the NH-88 via Shalaghat, Darlaghat before you reach bhrampukhar, if you can do it in a quicker and better manner as described in route 3.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone needs any update whatsoever, wheresoever from Chandigarh - Manali, feel free to PM me.

EDIT - Piplughat, not Yaknaghat in route 4

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  3. dksarker

dksarker Guru

Thanks to KurtRules (Sorry I do not know your actual name) we now have a decent details about all the route I have mentioned. If anyone have any recent updates please feel free to post here.

4. KurtRules

Thanks. My name is Vaibhav. This is the latest update. I took the route 1 and 4 between 8-11 Feb and route 3 was done by a friend last week.

EDIT - Changed the route numbers, mistakenly wrote wrong numbers

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. dksarker

dksarker Guru

Thanks Vaibhav. Please Keep updating here periodically.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. jeetcp

jeetcp Mediocre me

Awesome info. This is encyclopedia.....

- - - Updated - - -

I am seriously considering taking this one. I have been upto Gamber pul and Kunihar in past. It is scenic really.

I dont want to go through option 1) Patholed road through Kiratpur. Is that in bad shape? I mean like 1st, 2nd gear types?

7. dksarker

dksarker Guru

One minor correction I think from the Kalka - Shimla highway at Dharampur to go towatds Sabathu you need to take a left turn and not a right turn. As far I remember inside Dharampur bazar I took a left turn first and after going for some distance then I took a right turn. Vaibhav please confirm that.

8. KurtRules

It is pot-holed and it is boring. The road is ok till Swarghat and then it gets bad. Although it would take you a little more time if you go via kunihar, however you would be relieved of the frustration, due to it being scenic.

Yes, that was by mistake. You take the second left from the Dharampur baazaar.

Also, remember, it is the second left turn. There is one before that which also takes you to Sabathu, infact by-passes Sabathu and meets the Kunihar road some kms ahead of Sabathu. That road is in pretty bad shape and don't take it. The one to Sabathu is maintained periodically as Sabathu is a military area.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI - There are a couple of other routes as well that connect the NH-22 to the NH-21, however those are remote interior roads, un-paved and a bit confusing, so would refrain from mentioning them here :)

9. Rajesh Chandran

Rajesh Chandran New Member

I have travelled 4 times to Manali in the last 10 years or so and plan to do another trip coming week.

I have always taken one of the following routes:
    And ended up frustrated with lots of traffic and potholed roads.

Which route do you suggest for me, considering i am a newbie completely on these Himachal roads, also what are the major towns that come up on these routes. Major towns if pointed out will help me in planning it through my MapMyIndia GPS.

Secondly:

What is the route suggestion for Manali to Kandaghat, i will be moving by road from Manali to Kandaghat, what is the condition of road and how good / bad is the traffic on these road.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  10. Indizen

Indizen Active Member

I am planning to drive from Ludhiana to Manali.
    How many hours is that?
    If we start only by 3 pm or so, where best to stop overnight?

Which is the best route?
    Reach Rupnagar and follow the highway to Manali?

- - - Updated - - -

Also: I drove last year on the Baddi Bilaspur road.
    It was awful.