Nice write-up on Bose Music Systems

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre
I had a brief idea since long of how good the BOSE Systems are- but this one is really minute to the detail. Copy pasted a few paras from the page in case one finds it boring to read...in the end apologies if this post has bored you to the core ;)

intellexual net · m k i v

...The $1300 Bose Acoustimass system implements five dual-cubed, 2.5-inch, paper-cone satellite speakers (incidentally you can buy these exact same drivers for $35 a pair here). The material that is used to build these speakers may seem adequate to the unassuming novice; However, upon closer inspection, it becomes clear that they are built with little regard for performance. For starters the cubes are made of what Bose once claimed to be "revolutionary new space-aged paper" when my own observations lead me to believe that they are nothing more than dyed Manila hemp.

...The Bose Acoustimass subwoofer, or "Bass Module" as it's called, consists of three 5.5-inch drivers in a seventh-order band pass configuration. The three-chamber band pass design is the worst of all major subwoofer enclosure types. Its only purpose is to boost the decibel output of its components at the expense of accuracy.

...While on the subject of its structural integrity, the Acoustimass subwoofer is housed in the lowest-grade particle board negotiable. It is a cheap, thin low-density fiberboard (LDF) that is a fraction of the industry's standard medium-density fiberboard's (MDF) density and thickness. Every other speaker company employs nothing less than MDF in their subwoofer cabinets because it is three times denser than LDF.

...Bose has a "product data sheet" as they like to call it, on their website in Adobe Acrobat PDF-format, which can be viewed by clicking here. If and when you look at this document, you will soon realize that absolutely no where are there any specifications for the system's actual performance; Merely product size, dimensions, and shipping weight. There is mention of the AM-15 being quote: "Compatible with all surround receivers 10 - 200 watts per channel/rated 4 to 8 ohms". Good to know, except that just about every speaker system sold on the consumer market today is quote "Compatible with all surround receivers 10 - 200 watts per channel/rated 4 to 8 ohms"? So then what has Bose just told us? Absolutely nothing.

...I would estimate that the vast majority of current Bose owners are the victims of miseducation or a complete lack of audio education, and a false belief that they own the best speakers on the market. A small minority will buy Bose for the actual sound quality knowing full well that they are paying more for a badge than for performance.

...In all stores that sell Bose, you will see one of two types of Bose displays. First, there is the more common 'end-cap display' with a small TV screen, neatly laid out Bose components with speakers and extended steel arms that reach around to create a surround environment. In this setup, the trick to making the Bose system sound good is in unfair comparison and unrealistic environment. In most of these low-end stores, no other 5.1 surround system is configured in such a way because the store does not have a dedicated listening room. Therefore the experience of listening to Bose is more fulfilling than hearing the other 5.1 speaker systems that are all lined up in a row on the shelf-top facing you.

...The second breed of Bose displays is the 'expo room'. These are placed in stores that are deeply in cahoots with Bose Corp. These are stores like Fry's Electronics that lease out 2000 square feet of showroom floor for Bose to erect their own specially designed theater room and an attached catalog room. The thing with these show rooms and theaters is that they are very heavily sound treated with acoustic sound padding, and are acoustically engineered, calibrated rooms. The control room behind the theater is operated by a $30,000 rack of professional-grade preamplifiers, equalizers, DSP processors, and amplifiers. The technical prowess and build quality of this rack system compared to the Bose Lifestyle media console is a night and day difference. The subwoofer used is positioned in the optimal location to maximize spatial loading. The room dimensions are also calculated to reduce standing waves. The expense of running a room like this is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range. Again this is a gross overstatement of the Acoustimass' true capabilities, presented in an impractical, unrealistic environment. I can almost fully guarantee you that the Acoustimass system that consumers buy will not sound the same as they do in this room, unless they build an identical room themselves. If you don't believe me, then on your next visit to this Bose demo kindly ask the Bose spokesperson to show you their control room. They will be reluctant and steadfast to do so.

...A few years back, the United States Air Force signed Bose onto a multi-million-dollar contract to design noise cancellation headsets for Air Force flight crews. Bose won the contract over two other companies simply because of their "more established name" (brand recognition). The concept of a noise cancellation headset is to actively monitor the noise frequencies emitted from a jet engine and the turbulent wind, and reproduce the exact signal 180 degrees out of phase, thus theoretically canceling it out completely. Many reputable manufacturers have successful done so as well. Bose produced a model that cost approximately $1000 per unit, which failed to cancel out a significant amount of noise. The company used the contract as an opportunity to unload obsolete parts from years back. Bose pawned off thousands of outdated interface connectors for which there were no longer commercially available mating jacks, and incorporated them into the headsets. The Air Force, proud as it was, didn't scrap the project, but instead spent countless millions more replacing the consoles in a number of aircraft to make them compatible with the said headsets. In the end though, the Air Force did terminate the contract when test crews found that the headsets were ineffective and non-durable. This whole mess was created over a brand name's alleged reputation and prestige. Bose is now selling a downgraded version of these headsets to commercial airlines and to the consumer public. They now work to a minor degree, but are not surprisingly still easily outperformed by their competitors. These consumer market headsets are also very, very poorly crafted.

..."...a casual perusal of their website reveals that they have used money and lawyers to repeatedly abuse the patent system. They have patents for the Acoutimass (Helmholtz resonator), the Direct/Reflecting technology (multipolar speakers), their Acoustic Waveguide (transmission line), and their JewelCube technology (amalgam of transmission line and other old ideas). In each and every case, their patent is a joke; an obvious example of the all-too-common trick of making one minor alteration upon a pre-existing idea and then using an army of lawyers to get it patented... And why all the bother? Because it looks good to write "patented technology" on the box...". For a company that emphasizes cutting-edge research so much, I'm curious as to why their flagship 901 speakers have not seen any signigicant mechanical changes in the last 15 years. Where is the "better sound through research" going?

...I am curious as to why none, count them: ZERO, of their speakers are THX-certified. George Lucas offers certification to any product from any company willing to undergo the scrutiny of his tests. I'm sure Dr. Amar Bose has brought in many Bose speakers to the Skywalker Ranch for certification only to have them rejected time and time again.

...Bose equipment, even the flagship LifeStyle 50, resembles the sonic performance of the 11-year-old Aiwa minisystem in my garage. For $500, the Wave Radio is an overpriced alarm clock. If you're impressed by it, have a listen to a Henry Kloss radio for a fraction of the price! For $1000, the Bose 3-2-1 can not be described as anything less than a crime against sound reproduction. The message I want everyone to take from this lengthy review is that Bose, like Bang & Olufsen and Nakamichi, sell lifestyle and designer products whose prices are very heavily saturated by image and appeal. They are by no means, no means at all performance products. They have no cost-effectiveness, no bang-for-the-buck value, and draw no respect from any true audio enthusiests.

panu

BOSE SYSTEM SOME HISTORY

:) Nanigopal Bose a bengali Congress worker from Calcutta was to be caught by British for his support of Independence fighters when he fled and got shelter in Germany like many others including Subhas Chandra bose. His son AmarGopal Bose was born there. They shifted to USA and took US citizenship later.

Amargopal became a scientist and he invented many secrets of Sound and ultimately founded BOSE SYSTEM. His specialization was Effect of Music on Human brain. He got this idea from Indian perspective and Mythologies where a fire can be LIGHTED by SINGING a song or Rain comes after singing of Certain RAGAS.

So here is the History of World Famous Bose System. :)

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
BOSE SYSTEM SOME HISTORY

Amargopal became a scientist and he invented many secrets of Sound and ultimately founded BOSE SYSTEM. His specialization was Effect of Music on Human brain. He got this idea from Indian perspective and Mythologies where a fire can be LIGHTED by SINGING a song or Rain comes after singing of Certain RAGAS.

So here is the History of World Famous Bose System. :)
And how amazingly incorrect it is!! :shock:
If you simply check Wikipedia you'll get the correct answers!

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Bose system is not a sound system. Its an ego system. An ego system every Desi in USA needs to show to his friends that he has arrived.
The disease is spreading to India too unfortunately!

panu

And how amazingly incorrect it is!!
If you simply check Wikipedia you'll get the correct answers!
:) Checked Wikipedia.Could not understand in which part i was wrong.
Wiki information are not very correct.
Bose system is not a sound system. Its an ego system. An ego system every Desi in USA needs to show to his friends that he has arrived.
However i want a bose system.Cheapest speaker is Rs 50,000 in Calcutta.I would like to steal one form somebody.But nobody uses it in my known circle.

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
:) Checked Wikipedia.Could not understand in which part i was wrong.....
OK, lets take it part by part:

Amargopal became a scientist
- he became an Electrical Engineer and was a professor of Network Theory at M.I.T.

...and he invented many secrets of Sound and ultimately founded BOSE SYSTEM.
He did not invent any secrets of sound; he did research on how the human brain perceives sound, specifically music.
And the company he founded is Bose Corporation.

His specialization was Effect of Music on Human brain.
As mentioned above, his specialization was Network Theory, Electrical Engineering.
And what he did additional research on was the Perception of Sound by the human auditory faculty, not on the effect of music on the brain!

He got this idea from Indian perspective and Mythologies where a fire can be LIGHTED by SINGING a song or Rain comes after singing of Certain RAGAS....
Having read most of his published research papers I did not find any reference to this! This seems to be pure speculation.
Could you cite the source, please?

hacket

Old school
+1

Although they make good speakers.Bose never been a fave among the audiophiles. More to do with status symbol/style statement object due to its ridiculously high prices.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although they make good speakers.Bose never been a fave among the audiophiles. More to do with status symbol/style statement object due to its ridiculously high prices.
Hehe, it's actually the opposite of what you say! :eek:

Serious audiophiles have a problem with the price of the flagship model from Bose - the 901 speaker system, which costs about $1400/-! They think it is too low a price and that such an inexpensive speaker cannot possibly be up to much!

Most competing speakers cost at least 4 to 5 times this price and many cost 20 times as much, or more!

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Well no, most audiophiles say that competing brands give you better quality at lower price.