North Sikkim - Dream Fulfilled

Naturebuff

A
Day 5: (Lachen – Gurudongmar Lake- Mangan 130 kms – 670 kms)

We woke up early at 3:30 am . After finishing the daily chores, we had a hot cup of tea prepared by the owner of the homestay. It was really cold then. We left the homestay a little before 5 am and it was still dark. The road ahead was all the kuchcha roads with stones, pebbles, mud, steep inclines. Now I understood why it takes close to 4 hrs to drive mere 50-60 kms. The conditions were really challenging, but the view were equally enchanting. The calmness, the beauty, the serenity of the valley cannot be penned down. Feeling was like “stay there forever”. We stopped in betweenat Thangu for breakfast. Thangu stands at the height of 14 K ft. It is basically a military area with some locals staying there. There are nothing called restaurants or dhaba. They were actually the locals who uses their cozy homes as a place for quick bites for tourists. for It was freezing cold, the moment we stepped out of our car. It was simple maggi and a cup of tea we had their as our breakfast. The hot maggi taste was something which I would relish for long. It wouldn’t get better that that, complementing the surrounding and the chill. After a brief stay for 30 minutes we resumed our drive towards the lake. The roads ahead were still kuchcha but the incline had gone and were better and wider than the tracks before Thangu. Gradually soaking in the beauty we reached the check post at 8 am. There was a small picket at the check post where all the tourist cab drivers were queued up for submitting the permits in originals. I joined them in the queue chit chatting with them. The wind was quite strong at that time and I was shivering inspite of having 3 layers of clothing. The thin air was aiding to the discomfort. The army man gave me a token number which I need to mention to get the original papers back while returning. The roads thereafter was well tarred , which reminds me of roads just before ladakh when you come from Srinagar. First time after leaving Lachen I ws able to put the 4th gear. The ride till now ws most in 2nd gear with occasional 3rd gear. After 10-15 kms we have to leave the roads and move uphill towards right ot reach the lake. I wsa taken aback with the uphill track. Infact there was no track. You can drive whichever way you want. But I was making sure that I follow the tyre marks. The uphill drive was again in 1st and 2nd gear. After driving for 10-15 mins we reached the Lake at 8:30 am. As expected the chill was there and I could feel the lack of oxygen at 18k feet. We did not waited there for long as I was aware about the AMS and the passengers with me. I did not wanted to take chances. After customary photographs and admiring the beauty of the lake we decided to move downwards. The downward drive was comfortable as compared to the uphill drive. We reached the check post and collected our original documents. There is an army canteen at the check post where hot snacks and tea are available. We relished some veg pakoras and few cups of tea to warm us and moved towards Lachen. Since we had already checked out of the homestay in the morning we kept on moving without stopping at Lachen. The plan to try to reach Rangpo and look for stay option. But the roads conditions did not allow us to reach Rangpo. It was becoming dark just before we were approaching Mangan. We decide to stay at Mangan at the same Hotel we stayed few days back. Quickly connected with manager and he readily arranged 2 rooms for us. We had nothing to do that evening. We chit chatted for a while remembering the trip. I asked Anil what shall be the appropriate payback for his immense help and the company. He said “ Aap ko jo thik lage”. I offered him 2K and he accepted it happily. I don’t know if that was sufficient or more than enough. But he was happy with the deal. We had the dinner early, and retired for the day.

View attachment 735833

View attachment 735834

View attachment 735835

View attachment 735836

View attachment 735837

View attachment 735838

View attachment 735839

View attachment 735840

View attachment 735841

View attachment 735842

View attachment 735843

View attachment 735844

View attachment 735845

View attachment 735846

View attachment 735847

View attachment 735848

View attachment 735849

View attachment 735850

View attachment 735851

View attachment 735852

View attachment 735853
Lovely log.... Enjoying the pics! So beautiful!

Are there any refueling points in Lachung/Lachen/Thangu? Which is the nearest fuel station in North Sikkim for Gurudongmar and Yumthang tour if one is driving one's own car?

Ashutosh Kumar

Live Young, Live Free
A

Lovely log.... Enjoying the pics! So beautiful!

Are there any refueling points in Lachung/Lachen/Thangu? Which is the nearest fuel station in North Sikkim for Gurudongmar and Yumthang tour if one is driving one's own car?
I dont think there is any petrol bunk at Lachung/Lachen.
There might be one at Chungthang, but i am not sure about it.
You can tank up at Gangtok or Mangan and can easily come back covering these places, since the round trip is about 400 kms only.
Since my XUV has 70 lts tank, i filled at Siliguri and came back.

Naturebuff

You can tank up at Gangtok or Mangan and can easily come back covering these places, since the round trip is about 400 kms only.
Thank you. I know there is one in Mangan but read somewhere there is one at Lachen so wondered if you knew....

dip0780

Hi Ashutoshji,
First of all congratulation for completing the Road Trip to North Sikkim...We are also planning to visit North Sikkim in the 3rd week of March...In this regard i need some information about the hotels you stayed during your trip. If you can provide me the contact person name and phone numbers of the list of the Hotels you stayed on route from mangan to Lachung to lachen, then it will be of great help to us.