OBD Scanner

saintjude

Anyone having experience of OBD Scanner in their vehicles. Is it a useful gadget and which brand is the best for personal use.
Thanks

@deepam can suggest better.

Check :

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Anyone having experience of OBD Scanner in their vehicles. Is it a useful gadget and which brand is the best for personal use.
Thanks
I have one, bluetooth OBD2.

2 years back I got it from aliexpress for some 10 dollors. I hardly use it now but it is a cool gadget.

Ravi_M

Yes, OBDII is a useful tool. I used to get my LINEA checked at FASS where they connected the control unit to a laptop and run the diagnostics.

Recently, my car indicated engine warning light after passing through a water-logged road. I called my trusted mechanic who brought this OBDII tool and connected it to the control unit (below the steering wheel) and checked it on his smartphone using some App. It showed that the was due to the air-filter sensor and as such everything was OK. He also reset the error and it never recurred since then.

He advised me to get one online. It would cost some 700 to 900 rupees or less. I am yet to do that. But I shall buy one for sure. It is easy to connect to the connector provided in the fuse-box given under the steering wheel.

deepam

Super User
I have not ventured into OBD scanning, as I do not trust them. My thoughts are old fashioned.

If any changes in vehicle setting can screw up the ECM or car. Though there are security and checks put in place. I do not want to take the risk.
I prefer to drive to workshop and ask personnel to check

.Also on a personal ca, how many times do we really need to use it? It may help if someone owns a fleet of cars, it may be beneficial to them.

AnupamR

Super User
Scanners do not have the capabilities to reprogram ECU, it can only read data and not write and somehow I feel its a important tool if you like to play around with your car.

Many car shows error code on dash board itself (LCD screen), you just need to google that code and clear many errors as well. (e.g. turn on and turn off the ignition key thrice and it will show the error code if any)

I have not ventured into OBD scanning, as I do not trust them. My thoughts are old fashioned.

If any changes in vehicle setting can screw up the ECM or car. Though there are security and checks put in place. I do not want to take the risk.
I prefer to drive to workshop and ask personnel to check

.Also on a personal ca, how many times do we really need to use it? It may help if someone owns a fleet of cars, it may be beneficial to them.