One day tour to Nal Sarovar - Gujarat

Discussion in 'Travelogues from West India' started by rakeshr, Jan 20, 2011.

1. rakeshr

rakeshr Destination Pangong TSO!

Hi friends

This is my first ever travelogue on web. Parden me if you find any mistake, my English is also poor. Nalsarovar is place where hundreds of types of birds come from around the world on all seasons. For bird lovers , its must visit place. "Nal" is name "sarovar" means lake.

So today was holiday. Holiday from work, holiday from family. Wife was out of city and no pending work. There was chance to ride and so I decided to go with my new karizma r. I wanted it to be out of run in period fast.

One day humm. I wanted to go some unseen places where I have never gone, than Nalsarovar comes in mind. Just approx 180km away from my place Rajkot. Made up my mind and set the alarm of 5.00AM. Woke up at 6.00AM :p Why so early because bike was in run in period and I cant run fast. I am very slow guy. This gonna take approx 3 or 4 hours for sure as I wanted to glance all the places comes in way.

I have Nikon Coolpix P&S camera. Put the battery in charger at yesterday night so it can be properly charged. Also prepared other things like helmet, gloves, water bottle, bag etc. 6.00AM today I come out of the home, took the tea and did the self and I was on the way to Nalsarovar. Filled the tank full.

Here is my route to Nalsarovar.

[​IMG]

Here I was on National highway. We got very nice road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Rajkot We got a city called "Chotila" small town but very famous in Gujarati people specially Saurashtra. As my narration power is not good I am pasting the info from web.

Here are two pics of the mountain where the goddess stay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chotila is also the place where I think one of the biggest temple of "Jalarambapa" is going to be built.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Jalarambapa" is the ideal, saint of cast "lohana" Gujarat has various casts like Lohana, Patel, Vania, Brahmin etc.. Though Jalarambapa is not just ideal of this cast but for all many others too. Bapa believed in "Janseva [look after poor people] is Prabhu seva [god's worship]"

Virpur is the main city where currently main temple of Jalarambapa. Its near Rajkot and 60km away from Rajkot. Thousands of people come from around the world also take the "prasadi" from the temple. You will not believe or may be I dont know any other but I think "THIS IS THE ONLY TEMPLATE WHICH DOESNT ACCEPT DONATION" and serve thousands of visitors and other poor people and feed them twice a day. Virpur is also good place to visit.

Anyways on the point.. After Chotila... you will find a next good small town called "Limbdi" where on the highway side you will find a good hotel called "Earnest" or "Jamuna" both name of same hotel. It got AC and non AC hall both.

Now there comes "Bagodhara" where there is road to Nalsarovar.. approx 29KM. Road from Rajkot to Bagodhara is national highway and in very good condition but after Bagodhara to Nalsarovar.. there is single lane bad road. but there is less traffic in weekdays so no problem.

Here I come to Nalsarovar. According to boatman cum guide.. Nalsarovar is spreaded in 120KM :eek:. In March due to hit it becomes of 100KM but in rest seaons its 120KM. Nalsarovar got 300+ very very small islands and 250+ visitor birds.

Indian visitor has to pay 20rs per head plus 100rs for camera.. You need to go in boat to see birds and you need to pay 100rs per hour.. rates are written in board but if you be friends one of boatman.. much bargain is possible... There is no receipt for this boat fee. No motor boat.. because birds will go away with motor sound so.. only manual boats.. ridden by very long "lakadi" [sorry dont know English word :grin:]

When I entered the Nalsarovar.. Boatmen cum guides just attacked on me for hiriing their boat.. requesting me in Hindi. I said I am Gujarati... :D One man offered me ride for 300rs I laughed and told him I am not foreigner but fellow gujarati and also lived in very near town.. He just told me 100rs per hour :) and show me the rate chart.

I just told all them to let me some rest and let me take some food. After eating food.. I found a nice guy called "Ramjan". he offered me 100rs per hour.. but he said it will be minimum 2hours to view some nice birds.. within area of 5 to 8KM.. I had very few time left approx 2 hours so I said yes. fine..

He spoke lots of things about birds.. told me their names but in he was speaking in "desi" english so couldnt understand right pronunciation.. but dont mind I have took the photos of birds [very few have been seen.. rest are taken from book :D:p ]

You know what.. As I sit on the boat and found that battery of camera is just drained.. dont know why.. what the hell.. Charger was not with me and it was also worthless as I havent got any much time... so took rest photos with my iPhone 3GS. Here photos come.. no more story.

Bike parking

[​IMG]

There are some zoomed photos from iPhone camera so parden me for poor quality

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I come to an small island.. haha say approx few hundred meters lol.. Here is my boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the birds which are very fond of a farsan [read wikipedia for the meaning] called Ganthiya

[​IMG]

As soon as you throw them in water.. they will just attack and will eat them in seconds.. see the photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are other birds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the birds I have seen.. [photos from book]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE SEE IN MY PICASA ALBUM HERE

I have also did the video shooting of several minutes in various parts.. anyone help me to join them and without background voices of mine and boatman lol

If you like birds than this is must visit place and yes don't forget to take a powerful camera and yes with good zoom lenses.

cheers

2. classicrajat

classicrajat The Legend

loved the pics..lovely narration..

3. joie de vivre

joie de vivre Guru

beautiful pics and log rakeshr.

4. subratseet

subratseet Subrat Seet

I am strongly upset with your "namkeen throwing to Birds". Please stop that in future and guide others to do the same. Enjoy the birds, click photos without disturbing them. Be a nature lover first then photographer.

5. parastanna

parastanna Member

Nice Pics and log Rakesh...
    I m from bhavnagar.
    Where do u live in Rajkot and what do u do??

6. surender deswal

surender deswal Active Member

Very fantastic clicks Rakesh.Why afraid of writing logs.We all all like you in writing.More you write,more you feel polished.:)

7. rakeshr

Thanks for your kind suggestion.. I love birds and nature.. thats why I was there! You dont believe .. guide told me to give namkeen.. so all birds will come there.. and I can see them.. I never know such things can be done.. birds eat namkeen :) and believe it or not a special boat .. a girl was ridding it.. who had only namkeen.. and was selling.. oh god.

And what a coincident.. I just read receipt of entry fee just before one hour ago.. they clearly wrote that.. Dont give food to birds..

I will make sure this will not happened in future and I will make sure to report this to authority.. and believe me all these locals including office staff are "mili bhagat" got it.

Hope you enjoy my log little.. give me any suggestion.. if you like.

cheers

8. rakeshr

Thanks Parastanna and Surender.. Thanks for appriciation.

Parastanna I live in Rajkot city itself and near Limda Chowk.. Just call me any time.. you are here. Pm me if you would like to know my mobile number.

9. skartik2

skartik2 New Member

Rakesh bhai,

Very good narration and awesome pictures. I am motivated by your travelogue and will go to Nal sarovar this month. Do you know if the birds will be still there in February?

10. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Stunning captures !!