Orange way of life -KTM 390

Sanket Sarkar

Sure Sudhir but I am getting my LB converted to Asbo!

So getting everything done from Indi. They have steel forged con-rods for such setup, that I am going for. The bearings are good and it seems their bottom end work lasts a lot.

About AOM - 2 of my friends got conned. One from Pune who was here and one from Kolkata. Too many bad experiences and moroever the type of stuff we are going for, involves higher revs. So it's best if we pay a little extra and stay safe. Lets catch up sometime soon :)

BTW - The bottom end rebuild of indi actually lasts for 50k or so or even more in some cases. Heard from people who are doing it. They actually fix the big end's outer race.. the stuff we talked about remember? CCD? :D

sudhir222

Motoholic
**Update **
3rd free service complete.
Odo reading: 11458kms as of today.

Usual changes - air filter, oil filter, spark plug and engine oil(Motul 7100).
Had the oil filter cover replaced under warranty since it was always prone to leakage.
Did a good hard 30km run today and it is leak proof( that is, as of now!).

Chain and sprocket are supposedly nearing their life - another 4k kms perhaps.
Front Metz is good but rear one would need a replacement in another 3k kms.

Front brake bled but still sucks big time and no bite at all. Need to really take care of this issue soon.

Did couple of rides before the third free service and the Katoom(named him Tashi), performed flawless.
Few pics from the rides:
IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

IMG_6073.jpg

Mods added: > Got saddle bag supporting panniers done - prevents the bags from leaning towards the tires.
> Installed Roots Vibratone twin horns along with 4 pin relay - no tampering of the stock wiring done to avoid warranty nullification.
Did this myself since the mechanics hardly have the patience for quality and go with cut-join method.
Now there is no way anyone on the highway can miss me.

Mod in progress: > Hazard light circuit with the flashers, again no tampering with the stock wiring - doing it on my own without any kits.
Should be done this weekend.
> Bought a new mud flap meant for the front fender. The idea is to install this on the rear flap that is installed on the monoshock end.
This should prevent the monoshock from getting the liberal spray of muck and slush.

Mandar_C500

if the front brake has been reduced after the 3rd service then clean the brake pads and disk properly as I have heard few instances of ASS using diesel to wash the braking system causing failure.

sudhir222

Motoholic
if the front brake has been reduced after the 3rd service then clean the brake pads and disk properly as I have heard few instances of ASS using diesel to wash the braking system causing failure.
No, this is definitely not due to the diesel on the pads or the disc. I had asked them to bleed the brake line but looks like they have not although the mechanic said he had.
Will have to visit them again and personally oversee the bleed and condition of the brake pad as well. Annoying!
Finally, the oil filter cap has stopped weeping, so that is some good news.

Added a hazard warning light circuit.
Here is the video which i posted in multiple FB forums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkngUlMz64&feature=youtu.be

PrashantBhardwaj

Lost and found in Ladakh!
How comfortable is the motorcycle for a 6 ft guy(your height mentioned in start)??
And is the riding position too awkward??

sudhir222

Motoholic
How comfortable is the motorcycle for a 6 ft guy(your height mentioned in start)??
And is the riding position too awkward??
I am a cm short of 6' and right now I feel at-home.
There was this initial week when I had aching knee and ankle joints which almost made me regret the buy - thought this bike is gonna get me arthritis.
But then I believe the body got used to it and now it is effortless - even the lower back ache I used to get during long rides on the Bull has disappeared.

Riding position - it's bit sporty stance with a slight forward lean, as you might already know.
Comfortable for the high speed cruising, better aerodynamics. Hence I dropped the idea of raising the handlebars.

Only tricky part is the off road riding - it takes some practice to stand and ride along with gear shifts. Very much learn-able.

**Update**
Almost done with prepping the bike for the big ride.
Just added a front fender extension to the rear mudflap to reduce the muck splashed onto the monoshock and its surroundings.
The flap itself is expensive at Rs340 but the fitting cost 20 bucks.

Images for reference:
DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

I think it doesn't look odd. KTM should have done something similar in the first place.
Funny part is that the guy who put the holes on the fender extension owns a D390(Yes, :shock:) says he is gonna copy this!

Last edited:

sudhir222

Motoholic
Gentlemen, it is the restless-excited phase for me now. Another week to go for the flag off to Sikkim & Bhutan.
Just thought I should update the current state of affairs.

The D390, Tashi, is all set - third free service done.
Installed new clutch cable for the sake of peace of mind.
New brake pads on the front - old one was totally worn out.
Hazard warning lights installed.
Pannier rack is painted and almost dry now in my terrace!
Spares bought - spark plug, side stand sensor, throttle cable, few nuts and bolts, headlamp bulb, brake and clutch levers, brake and gear shifters(alloy, hence delicate).
Sunscreen SPF50.
Riding gear is anyway always ready!
Accommodation in Gangtok booked. Permits obtained for all places except Zuluk - this will only be issued one day earlier to the travel in the route.
Still unsure about the finance part but I am sure god has some plans :p

RESTLESS!

New brake pads on the front - old one was totally worn out.
All this while I was reading your thread and wondering why you didnt get the front brake pads checked up first thing as a possible cause of spongy braking.

Bleeding does help but only to an extent. How is the front brake behaving now? Must say the 390's front brake ain't as razor sharp as the rest of the motorbike is. Always demands a squeeeezeeee.

Updates please!

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
Sudhir-the rear frame that you got made to support the saddlebags,does it clamp to the rear foot peg stopper-two holes drilled each side visible???

sudhir222

Motoholic
Sudhir-the rear frame that you got made to support the saddlebags,does it clamp to the rear foot peg stopper-two holes drilled each side visible???
Yes Gaurav, it does have an L-clamp connected to the foot rest stopper plate. This support is required to stabilize the pannier frame.