Orange way of life -KTM 390

sudhir222

Motoholic
All this while I was reading your thread and wondering why you didnt get the front brake pads checked up first thing as a possible cause of spongy braking.

Bleeding does help but only to an extent. How is the front brake behaving now? Must say the 390's front brake ain't as razor sharp as the rest of the motorbike is. Always demands a squeeeezeeee.

Updates please!
The brake pad change helped only marginally. Still no bite in it on sudden braking scenario - I literally have to yank it until it almost touches the fingers around the throttle. Only then does it get the desired stopping effect. I have resigned to the thought that perhaps I gotta live with this!

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
No, this is definitely not due to the diesel on the pads or the disc. I had asked them to bleed the brake line but looks like they have not although the mechanic said he had.
Will have to visit them again and personally oversee the bleed and condition of the brake pad as well. Annoying!
Finally, the oil filter cap has stopped weeping, so that is some good news.

Added a hazard warning light circuit.
Here is the video which i posted in multiple FB forums:

Lovely video Sudhira-cool riding n gr8 choice of music=D>:cool:

Calcuttan

Joining the orange gang soon. I had initially wanted to go for the CBR 250 but looks like the company itself is not very sure about the ABS model. The showroom wasn't very sure if they would be able to deliver it at all. They said, "as far as we know the model is discontinued but the local office of Honda is saying take the booking and we shall see. If we can't deliver in a month we will surely refund the booking amount of 5k." I felt sorry for the sales lady who was otherwise very nice and organised a very good test ride for me but I couldn't take a chance with a passion and a lot of money. When they are so uncertain in the pre-sales stage one wonders what might happen after wards.
Went for the KTM 390 test ride. Though the ride itself was a joke I decided to go for it. This thread, among others, has definitely helped take the decision. One of my major concerns was the pillion seat. My wife was just fine with it, though at first she put her feet on my foot pegs ;-) . We are used to a Bullet, you see !! Despite the OE saree guard, sitting on this in a saree is impossible (in case anyone had that question in mind).
Will pay them the full amount sometime next week and take delivery after the registration is done, which they said would be after 7 working days, which is fine with me. I think I am going to like the new steed which should be hopefully with me in another two weeks. Getting the black one.

sudhir222

Motoholic
Joining the orange gang soon. I had initially wanted to go for the CBR 250 but looks like the company itself is not very sure about the ABS model. The showroom wasn't very sure if they would be able to deliver it at all. They said, "as far as we know the model is discontinued but the local office of Honda is saying take the booking and we shall see. If we can't deliver in a month we will surely refund the booking amount of 5k." I felt sorry for the sales lady who was otherwise very nice and organised a very good test ride for me but I couldn't take a chance with a passion and a lot of money. When they are so uncertain in the pre-sales stage one wonders what might happen after wards.
Went for the KTM 390 test ride. Though the ride itself was a joke I decided to go for it. This thread, among others, has definitely helped take the decision. One of my major concerns was the pillion seat. My wife was just fine with it, though at first she put her feet on my foot pegs ;-) . We are used to a Bullet, you see !! Despite the OE saree guard, sitting on this in a saree is impossible (in case anyone had that question in mind).
Will pay them the full amount sometime next week and take delivery after the registration is done, which they said would be after 7 working days, which is fine with me. I think I am going to like the new steed which should be hopefully with me in another two weeks. Getting the black one.
That is fantastic news!!!! Sorry just got time after the True Wanderer madness :D
You cant go wrong with D390 bhai - worth every penny and will get a smile on every ride. There are niggles but it will be fine, can be fixed.
Your wifey liking the seat is a major relief because many times, that seat's the only factor stopping lot of married gentlemen from going for this bike!
Please share your experiences here.
I wish you a wonderful Orange life and rides for many many years to come baba :) Cheers..

Reactions: IJS

Calcuttan

Thanks for the grand welcome :) The bike is in the showroom and though I didn't take it for a spin I did start it to listen to the exhaust note. The basic purchase process is over, in the sense full payment has been made and the official sale has been effected. Paperwork from my side is complete. That was yesterday. Now it will be sent for production at the Motor Vehicles department and then they will hand it over to me. I expect to get it sometime next week, but with only an Applied For status. The number is allotted after a few days. The high security number plate takes a few more days. The blue book takes months.
Can you please list out the things I need to check before taking delivery? I already saw a loose dangling part in the bike and got it fixed :) I have been reading the electronic manual over and over again to understand the various electronic controls. What other homework do I need?

sudhir222

Motoholic
Thanks for the grand welcome :) The bike is in the showroom and though I didn't take it for a spin I did start it to listen to the exhaust note. The basic purchase process is over, in the sense full payment has been made and the official sale has been effected. Paperwork from my side is complete. That was yesterday. Now it will be sent for production at the Motor Vehicles department and then they will hand it over to me. I expect to get it sometime next week, but with only an Applied For status. The number is allotted after a few days. The high security number plate takes a few more days. The blue book takes months.
Can you please list out the things I need to check before taking delivery? I already saw a loose dangling part in the bike and got it fixed :) I have been reading the electronic manual over and over again to understand the various electronic controls. What other homework do I need?
Awesome!! Congratulations and wish you years of Orange fun ;)
The PDC is less worrisome in our case:
1. Fully torqued rear axle nut.
2. Coolant level - make sure it is just half way between min-max marks, when the bike is held upright. If it's more, it usually pukes over from the cap.
3. RPM shift indicators set to the right values - 6000RPM and 11500 RPM. The first figure varies, some SVC set it initially at 5k RPM.
Nevertheless, this figure helps you to understand when to shift the gear.
4. Make sure the toolkit exists underneath the rear seat.

Use a lot of engine braking during the running in period and use the gears extensively.
Vary the RPM and as far as possible, excepting few spirited sprints, keep the RPM <7500RPM.
I prefer an oil change early - about 200kms because that's when the metal filings accumulate and I dont want them in the oil until 1k kms.
But this one is your choice and not mandatory.
Cheers!

Reactions: IJS