Owning Nissan Terrano 85 ps

NitinA

+++++++++++
Nitin,
Please PM me your:
  1. Car registration number,
  2. Last 5 digit of your car Chassis number
Also please note I have PMed you some info to act. Please let me know the above details at the earliest.
Hi thanks a lot for your efforts - during the trip I di not have any major issue. There were a couple small stone hits after coming under the tire but dont expect it to be that major. Anyway actually the left pull had somewhat started even before the journey, and Im feeling it more after the trip. I am aware of the reasons that can impact..I have checked most of them including tyre swaps etc..on the way back I had shown my car in Jalandhar ASS and they had checked the suspension nothing was found apart form a lot of dust !

In Delhi I have been getting it serviced regularly from Kaizan Nissan that you mentioned everyone knows me there however I stopped going to them when they messed up my clutch job last year. It has deteriorated a lot after some management changes.

Anyway I plan to show the car to a new Gurgaon ASS in the next week, lets see what they say will update you.

by the way do you know if the car has a fixed camber ? All the guys in outside shops say camber cannot be altered.

Thanks again

deepam

Super User
Hi thanks a lot for your efforts - during the trip I di not have any major issue. There were a couple small stone hits after coming under the tire but dont expect it to be that major. Anyway actually the left pull had somewhat started even before the journey, and Im feeling it more after the trip. I am aware of the reasons that can impact..I have checked most of them including tyre swaps etc..on the way back I had shown my car in Jalandhar ASS and they had checked the suspension nothing was found apart form a lot of dust !

In Delhi I have been getting it serviced regularly from Kaizan Nissan that you mentioned everyone knows me there however I stopped going to them when they messed up my clutch job last year. It has deteriorated a lot after some management changes.

Anyway I plan to show the car to a new Gurgaon ASS in the next week, lets see what they say will update you.

by the way do you know if the car has a fixed camber ? All the guys in outside shops say camber cannot be altered.

Thanks again
+++++++++++++++
In my opinion Camber is fixed, let me re-check that with my alignment mechanic and update you.

NitinA

+++++++++++++++
In my opinion Camber is fixed, let me re-check that with my alignment mechanic and update you.
Finally got the car checked at Crescent Nissan in gurgaon. They have a new alignment machine, checked the car in front of me. The toe was out which was fixed. That solved about 50%+ of the problem. Then they crossed front tires (which eliminates any tire bias) and that helped another 25%. The right camber was showing out which somehow they could not understand why as there is no impact on the car anywhere whatsoever. Camber on these cars cant be adjusted. The only way to fix this is to change shocker and / OR arm to see what fixes the issue. But the service advisor advised against doing anything as it was minor. So basically the pull was fixed to about 75%+, a very slight left pull still remains, only generally noticeable when there is road crowing to the left.

deepam

Super User
Nitin,
Glad to know that 75% of the problem is solved.
Do not do anything till you change to new tyres. The Camber out may be even due to the uneven tyre wear out. Toe setting was 0.0 deg and -0.10 degree right [Toe in]
When Tyre alignment was being done, the steering and brakes were locked right? This is one of the important factor while doing the alignment process. I have seen some people skip these.
Then there are some guys who do not follow the process:
  1. Wheel Balancing [if it is due]
  2. Wheel Rotation [if it is due]
  3. Wheel alignment
More than couple of times, the mechanic was trying to do alignment on my car and then go to Wheel Rotation or balancing. I had to blast them to stop changing the sequence.

NitinA

Nitin,
Glad to know that 75% of the problem is solved.
Do not do anything till you change to new tyres. The Camber out may be even due to the uneven tyre wear out. Toe setting was 0.0 deg and -0.10 degree right [Toe in]
When Tyre alignment was being done, the steering and brakes were locked right? This is one of the important factor while doing the alignment process. I have seen some people skip these.
Then there are some guys who do not follow the process:
  1. Wheel Balancing [if it is due]
  2. Wheel Rotation [if it is due]
  3. Wheel alignment
More than couple of times, the mechanic was trying to do alignment on my car and then go to Wheel Rotation or balancing. I had to blast them to stop changing the sequence.
Hi actually the tires are almost brand new. I just changed to Continental Cross contact AT tyres just before going to Ladakh. And actually that's when I started to notice this. I am a bit concerned that this remaining 25% left pull may impact the tires in the medium to long term. But the other problem is that there is no guarantee that fixing the camber by replacing the arm or the shocker would fix this left pull issue. The workshop only guarantees fixing of camber but not of the left pull. As far as locking yes they did lock the steering while doing the alignment but I am not sure of the brakes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

deepam

Super User
Hi actually the tires are almost brand new. I just changed to Continental Cross contact AT tyres just before going to Ladakh. And actually that's when I started to notice this. I am a bit concerned that this remaining 25% left pull may impact the tires in the medium to long term. But the other problem is that there is no guarantee that fixing the camber by replacing the arm or the shocker would fix this left pull issue. The workshop only guarantees fixing of camber but not of the left pull. As far as locking yes they did lock the steering while doing the alignment but I am not sure of the brakes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
++++++++++++++++++++
Nitin,
It is always recommended that if you decide to replace Lower Arm, you need to replace the shocks too.
Generally it is said better to change the both sides Lower arm plus shocks too.

My car on the right side is giving a noise - mechanic at ASS was saying this could be pulled for another 10 k km easily. I am not comfortable to live with this noise.
So on the front, this weekend I am going to change:
  1. Lower Arm
  2. Shocks
  3. Link rods.
Along with the Brake Disc and Pads, so at rear I am replacing the Brake liners too. Brake liners may have a life of another 15k km.

deepam

Super User
Today replaced the Brake System and Complete Suspension System:
  1. Brake Disc had neared its life
  2. Faulty right lower arm created a noise.
So decided to go with replacements of the system:
Brake:
  1. Front Brake Disc
  2. Front Brake Pads
  3. Rear Brake Liners
The Brake liners had life of another 10-20 k km. However since the front had new system replaced the rear brake liners too.
WP_20171216_001.jpg

Coming on to Suspension, when Lower arm is replaced, should be done on both sides. Since the front boots had gone caput, I could sense weaker Front right suspension. So replaced:
  1. Front Suspension Structs
  2. Front Lower Arms
  3. Front Suspension Link Rods.
Now again when Front gets a new - why not replace the Rear, replaced the Rear Suspension Struts, to enjoy a better ride.
Below is the picks of the front link road and Front suspension
WP_20171216_003.jpg

Top of Rear Suspension is accessed from the point here.

WP_20171216_004.jpg

Last edited:

deepam

Super User
Next major mechanical part scheduled replacement is Steering ball joint and Tie rod.
Part was not available so scheduling it in 90 k km service, next month.

deepam

Super User
Over the weekend, completed the 90 k km servicing.
Along with which parts Steering Ball joint and Tie rod replaced, this only with labor costed Rs 18,300/-.