Owning Nissan Terrano 85 ps

deepam

Super User
As I reached my native, I was confident of the car. So had kept ignition on and on blinking lights. Battery went dead. Then I had to get the car jump start.
My suspect was on Glow Plug going kaput.
Battery Gravity on all cells were good. My FNG mechanic suspects on the Battery.
I had replaced Battery on Oct 16, 2016 and is now close to 3 years and 60 k km.

I am confused whether to continue Exide battery or move on to Amaron. My FNG mechanic is recommending Amaron.

deepam

Super User
On my Terrano the OEM battery [Exide] I replaced after 37 months of usage at 64 k km.
My second battery [24+24 months] showed the first sign of being dead exactly around 35 months as narrated above and when checked Battery Gravity was good in all cells. Took to service center and I was told that to try to re-charge; which I followed [INR 200] and is working with one go cranking.
This month when I did not use for car for 2 weeks, when I cranked it failed to start in one go but started in second cranking. Audio Head unit was working but speaker was not!!! I drove for 15 minutes but no help, no sound coming. After keeping the car running for 45 minutes and driving for city ~20 km. I switched off the car and re-started; it cranked in one go and Speaker came back to life!

When I crank the MID is flickering, not sure I need to continue or replace [Heart and mind are conflicting views]. I am in confusion - covered ~ 60 k km with this second set of battery.

adsatinder

explorer
If you have the facilities of Jump start etc and will move in city only,
You can continue with same set.
If winters are not harsh like Delhi or Himalayas then wait.
Just run vehicle regularly.

deepam

Super User
Finally for peace of mind, replaced the car battery. Local Shop Exide Mileage DIN 60 costed INR 5850/-.
When Car was running and hazard parking stationery Head lamps were flickering and I decided not to risk further, better to replace.

adsatinder

explorer
Finally for peace of mind, replaced the car battery. Local Shop Exide Mileage DIN 60 costed INR 5850/-.
When Car was running and hazard parking stationery Head lamps were flickering and I decided not to risk further, better to replace.
Good decision !
Battery gave sign of weakness.
This was last sign.

NitinA

Hi..hope you are well....i took my car for service today and the workshop service advisor was recommending to change timung belt. My car has done 52k over 6.5 yrs. He was saying duration has alread crossed. Do you think it makes sense ? What is the recommended change time span ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

NitinA

Also they charge 3500 now for standard service...without oil..very expensive..i think Nissan is almost dying and they want fleece the maximum from the existing customers....do you pay the same amount ?

adsatinder

explorer
Hi..hope you are well....i took my car for service today and the workshop service advisor was recommending to change timung belt. My car has done 52k over 6.5 yrs. He was saying duration has alread crossed. Do you think it makes sense ? What is the recommended change time span ?

Check manual.
Check mention of km or time to change Timing Belt.

adsatinder

explorer
Check in Service section if it’s a timing belt it should be under service schedule.

However a timing belt is scheduled for 80k to 100k mostly.

If wear tear is visible only by then go for it.
If there is some noise etc then also get it checked.