Owning Nissan Terrano 85 ps

akkibaba

Hi..hope you are well....i took my car for service today and the workshop service advisor was recommending to change timung belt. My car has done 52k over 6.5 yrs. He was saying duration has alread crossed. Do you think it makes sense ? What is the recommended change time span ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Please check if your car is equipped with timing belt or timing chain!
If it’s belt then you should get it replaced as per schedule . Most belts lasts 80-100k easily.
But if it’s chain, then don’t worry , chains are usually dont require replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deepam

Super User
Unfortunately nothing in the car manual..its only in the workshop manuals...where they want to change every 5 years...could be money making ploy as well !

+++++++++++++++++
Nitin,
In our Manual it is indicated as 120,000km or 8 years which is really wrong; for old Terrano and it was Typo error!
The K9K recommends that it 120,000 km or 5 years in European driving condition, where ambient is on lower side.
Couple of years back Timing belt is updated to 60,000 km or 4 years.
Since you have already crossed 5 years, my sincere advise to you is to change Timing belt. Also please change the Drive belt. Do not take risk.
It is more to do with Start stop. Infact if you drive only in City traffic they recommend to change it at 30,000 km.
City traffic the engine runs at lower speed and covers lesser distance but engine runs for longer time and stress is higher.

Last edited:

deepam

Super User
Please check if your car is equipped with timing belt or timing chain!
If it’s belt then you should get it replaced as per schedule . Most belts lasts 80-100k easily.
But if it’s chain, then don’t worry , chains are usually dont require replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
++++++
K9K engine has Timing belt and yes, I do not recommend to use it beyond 5 years irrespective of km running. As K9K is interference engine and if timing belt snaps then it is Engine overhaul.
There was one Terrano which had Timing belt snapped at 140 k km and it is visiting workshop repeatedly for engine heating. So it is better to replace and then feel sorry at later date.

Last edited:

deepam

Super User
Unfortunately nothing in the car manual..its only in the workshop manuals...where they want to change every 5 years...could be money making ploy as well !

++++++++++++++++++++++
5 years change is recommended. If it is only city where average speed is < 30 kmph; recommended to change at 30,000 km.
Also on the Engine oil, if average speed is > 30 kmph; then only change at 10000 km frequency. Else change oil between 5k -7k km. The oil can become a lump and stop circulation. One of my colleague who ignored to change Engine oil per schedule and stretched his Duster for 14 months as km of 10000. He did get the sign of Coolant and Oil mix; ignored. I had advised him to replace the Cooler attached to Fuel filter which was costing INR 20k. Did not pay attention to my advise and finally had Engine failure, costed him INR 105k.

Last edited:

NitinA

++++++
K9K engine has Timing belt and yes, I do not recommend to use it beyond 5 years irrespective of km running. As K9K is interference engine and if timing belt snaps then it is Engine overhaul.
There was one Terrano which had Timing belt snapped at 140 k km and it is visiting workshop repeatedly for engine heating. So it is better to replace and then feel sorry at later date.
Thanks !..i guess i will change at the next service.

NitinA

++++++++++++++++++++++
5 years change is recommended. If it is only city where average speed is < 30 kmph; recommended to change at 30,000 km.
Also on the Engine oil, if average speed is > 30 kmph; then only change at 10000 km frequency. Else change oil between 5k -7k km. The oil can become a lump and stop circulation. One of my colleague who ignored to change Engine oil per schedule and stretched his Duster for 14 months as km of 10000. He did get the sign of Coolant and Oil mix; ignored. I had advised him to replace the Cooler attached to Fuel filter which was costing INR 20k. Did not pay attention to my advise and finally had Engine failure, costed him INR 105k.
Yeah engine oil of course i dont compromise, i use synthetic shell helix ultra 5w 40. Max 15k or one year. Its always one year as i could never reach 15k, not even 10 actually.

deepam

Super User
Of recent, I felt the vibration and noise at idle rpm on the higher side.
Mechanic identified this to be Silencer seal, order was placed to procure.
Replaced it last week:
IMG_20200201_153501.jpg

Damage may be due to speed breaker jump.

IMG_20200201_153453.jpg

deepam

Super User
Last month, I started to notice that my Terrano Vibration at Idle RPM was on higher side.
The peculiarity was it would be more when Radiator Fan is working and I did not find the same in Cold condition or even running.

I replaced the Radiator Fan Locks and also Hood stopper [04 nos] and the Vibration at idle RPM dropped.