Owning Nissan Terrano 85 ps

deepam

Super User
Thanks to Lockdown, my colleagues were making fun of me that my car got much needed break from Long drives.
Last month, I completed the 130k km service. Regular maintenance, replacement of Engine Oil, Oil Filter and AC Filter. Wheel Rotation, Balancing and Alignment.

deepam

Super User
Another interesting observed, I noticed about driving the car for last year.

Most of the Tyre manufacturers claim that the Tyre wearout in INDIA is due to Bad Roads. I differ to their argument. The tyres wear out as the Wheel Alignment machine is not calibrated!!!

My second set of MRF tyres did not last more than 31k km in spite of having good mechanical condition of the car & conducting wheel alignment for very 5k km. Early wearout was due to Alignment machine.
Since 18 months I am getting the alignment done at Nissan Center and I am forcing them to do Annual calibration. The point to be noted is; I am close to 40k on my 3rd set of tyres [Goodyear] and the life seems to be really good.
My car has jumped Speed breakers and hardly TOE readings have gone out more than 2' or 3', over 5k-10k km. No change either in CAMBER or CASTER readings.
I was really skeptical that TOE readings will change when I jump Speed breakers or car falls into a Potholes and that is not my experience with my Terrano.
All the above may be to the fact of Strong Knuckle and Mechanical components that are inbuilt in these cars.

So cars like Indica, Maruti or Hyundai build mainly Hatchback; the mechanical's may give way, in these scenarios of jumping speed-breakers or car falling into potholes. The TOE, CASTER and CAMBER settings may get disturbed.

With these factors in mind, it would be fun to drive cars like Duster / Terrano or NEXON or COMPASS or SANTEFE or HEXA or HARRIER or INNOVA or ENDEAVOUR.
Old Fortuner had the RIGID suspension set-up and I am not sure of new Fortuner.

NitinA

Another interesting observed, I noticed about driving the car for last year.

Most of the Tyre manufacturers claim that the Tyre wearout in INDIA is due to Bad Roads. I differ to their argument. The tyres wear out as the Wheel Alignment machine is not calibrated!!!

My second set of MRF tyres did not last more than 31k km in spite of having good mechanical condition of the car & conducting wheel alignment for very 5k km. Early wearout was due to Alignment machine.
Since 18 months I am getting the alignment done at Nissan Center and I am forcing them to do Annual calibration. The point to be noted is; I am close to 40k on my 3rd set of tyres [Goodyear] and the life seems to be really good.
My car has jumped Speed breakers and hardly TOE readings have gone out more than 2' or 3', over 5k-10k km. No change either in CAMBER or CASTER readings.
I was really skeptical that TOE readings will change when I jump Speed breakers or car falls into a Potholes and that is not my experience with my Terrano.
All the above may be to the fact of Strong Knuckle and Mechanical components that are inbuilt in these cars.

So cars like Indica, Maruti or Hyundai build mainly Hatchback; the mechanical's may give way, in these scenarios of jumping speed-breakers or car falling into potholes. The TOE, CASTER and CAMBER settings may get disturbed.

With these factors in mind, it would be fun to drive cars like Duster / Terrano or NEXON or COMPASS or SANTEFE or HEXA or HARRIER or INNOVA or ENDEAVOUR.
Old Fortuner had the RIGID suspension set-up and I am not sure of new Fortuner.
I agree. The machine at Nisaan authorised service center was out as well as showing very positive camber on the front right wheel, which I as definitely not the case. The team there kept arguing that there was something wrong wih my car and I should replace the shocker and arm to fix it. The biggest challange with these cars is not the vehicles but the support quality. Even so called engineers from the company hav no idea to fix some basic problems.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

deepam

Super User
I agree. The machine at Nisaan authorised service center was out as well as showing very positive camber on the front right wheel, which I as definitely not the case. The team there kept arguing that there was something wrong wih my car and I should replace the shocker and arm to fix it. The biggest challange with these cars is not the vehicles but the support quality. Even so called engineers from the company hav no idea to fix some basic problems.

+++++++++++++
I had the similar situation, I asked them to show me readings from new cars from Stock yard and they also had wrong readings. Thus I forced them to get the machine re-calibrated.
True not many understand about the car.

deepam

Super User
I recently started filling at BP outlet on my way to office at Tirmulgherrey, near Kendriya Vidyalaya.
What a difference in Diesel quality. The car has become much smoother. Of course with bit reduced traveling time I got in city fuel efficiency between 21.7 and 22.7 kmpl.
What a difference Fuel quality makes.

In IOC COCO I never got more than 16.6 kmpl during peak traffic.
In HP I got upto 18.1 kmpl and with lean traffic it was either 19.2 or 19.6 kmpl.

NitinA

I recently started filling at BP outlet on my way to office at Tirmulgherrey, near Kendriya Vidyalaya.
What a difference in Diesel quality. The car has become much smoother. Of course with bit reduced traveling time I got in city fuel efficiency between 21.7 and 22.7 kmpl.
What a difference Fuel quality makes.

In IOC COCO I never got more than 16.6 kmpl during peak traffic.
In HP I got upto 18.1 kmpl and with lean traffic it was either 19.2 or 19.6 kmpl.
I have the same experience..have always used BP. That too speed. Worst experience was with Reliance pumps in a drive to Gujarat. Engine felt very rough and gave very poor mileage.

deepam

Super User
I have the same experience..have always used BP. That too speed. Worst experience was with Reliance pumps in a drive to Gujarat. Engine felt very rough and gave very poor mileage.

++++++++++
BPCL is getting divested.
Company or consortium with assets worth USD 10 billion are allowed to bid. No PSU are allowed.

NitinA

++++++++++
BPCL is getting divested.
Company or consortium with assets worth USD 10 billion are allowed to bid. No PSU are allowed.
Yes that's correct. May take some time though. Lets hope they can maintain their standards if not improve.

deepam

Super User
My car pic one of the roads of Karnataka traversing on road leading to Agumbe ghat.
IMG_20200802_121152_3.jpg

Cloudy afternoon at Agumbe, Karnataka. Known as Chirapunjee of Southern India
IMG_20200802_134340_1.jpg

IMG_20200802_134540.jpg

Last edited: