Painfull Breakfast Ride - Desert Storm RE 500

Breakfast Ride Pain ....

There are some days this Iron Monster makes you proud and then there are days when you want to sell this as a piece of SCRAP to the nearest Junk Dealer.
Yesterday was one such day.

We planned a Early Morning Breakfast ride for Sunday morning to Manesar from Delhi.
Everything was working as expected, we left on time had fuel tanks filled, air pressures checked and ready to go.
No issues at all and we reached the destination around 8.50 as planned.
Rested and well fed with Parantha's + Butter + Tea. We all were lazy and sleepy.

But decided to leave for next stop in our Itinerary, toward Sohna for some work.

My Bike, knows me too well and I think it realized that I need some rest and so she decided not to work.

We assumed it could be low charge in Battery so Self Start not working, started with initial inspection. Fuel was OK.
Started checking FUSES, and Spark Plugs everything looked good. Checked Battery Terminals and all.
Spent almost 30 mins trying to do a Kick Start and swapping Fuses but no luck.

In the mean time a guy from another Bikers group who were observing our pain walked up to us and shared he had similar experience.
I think my Bike needed to hear this.
This guy (sorry I forgot to ask his name) also Fiddled with the Fuse and as luck would have it The Iron Lady woke up and we were surprised and happy.
Thanked that guy for the help and we were on our way.

The Inner roads to Sohna were not in great condition and I recalled that while putting up the Battery covers and other thing I noticed a crack in the lock mechanism so I was careful to keep checking the Battery cover after ever Speed Bump or a pot hole on Road.
After hitting one of the speed bumps It felt like the Battery is almost hanging out of the box. We stopped and the Battery Cover was long gone. no where to be found.

Sohna wanted Sacrifices today and I was the goat. A child was watching us from the roadside and we asked him if he can arrange for some ropes. He was happy to arrange it for us. So after tying my battery with help of Ropes we were again on our way to to Sohna.

Reached Sohna some how and I wanted to confirm the directions so took the Google maps out and thought of saving some fuel so switched off the Engine.
And and and again my Bike knows me too well she thought I want to save some fuel and energy so she again decided to rest.
We again started the troubleshooting routing > Fuses > Fuel > Battery etc etc.
My friends were checking the bike and I went to search for a Bullet Mechanic.

LUCKY DAY or not you guys decide, I came to know that the Mechanic is in the opposite side of road. With great hope I reached his center only to find out that the guy who works on BULLETS is on leave today..., :( they other guy gave me a extra FUSES to try.

Some passers by suggested that there are few more repair shops half a KM back and we can take the patient there.
Had to push the Bike to a mechanic who knew a bit about MPFI Engine and Bullets.
AFter Diagnosis he declared the FuEl Pump is gone and nothing could be done as its SUnday and majority of shops are closed.

My friend insisted that we can try cleaning the Fuel Pump motor and that might work. (We knew this from my similar experience in a ride last year).

The Mech started working and finally took out some dirt from the motor and cleaned the pump etc.
Things were looking good and after some initial test Bike was working again..

So this was round 2 wasting another couple of hours.

After completing the work at Sohna we were onto next planned stop for Sector 109 as Dwarka EXPY. After riding for half an hour we decided to refuel ourselves but decided to have a short break just for a Juice from Road side.
IN the mean time our contact in Dwarka EXPY called and told us not to come as we are already late and he is leaving for the day.

With our plan already destroyed we agreed to have some snacks at a very popular shop in Gurgaon.
And and and My Bike again is some emotional and understanding, she thought why only snacks let these guys have Dinner also.
So she again refused to Start. I was very positive that this could be a minor problem as we just had the whole Fuel Pump cleaned.
It was low on Fuel so we went to a Petrol Pump nearby, bought the Ptrol in a Bottle and topped up my Bike.

Being Positive I kick Started hoping that it will start but naah no luck, and we could not think of trying anything else and since phone battery also died by that time we could not search for a Local Mechanic.

Luckily the street we were stranded on is near to my close relatives and we decided to push the Bike till their place. As by that time I had decided to leave the bike there only and come back later in 1 Week or so to get it Fixed.

Upon Reaching the cousin's place he called up Mechanic as my cousin also owns a REnfield. After an hour or so the Mech Declared nothing can be done now as all the spare parts shops are closed because of Sunday and its definitely a Fuel Pump Issue along with a Dead Battery.

My cousin and I decided to give it a last try and hurried to a Battery shop. Tried setting up the Battery. Once again were hoping that some miracle will happen.

But naaah the Bike was tired and had no intention to start.
Tired and exhausted we called it Quits and Left the Bike @ Cousins place.

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
Wow such a day you had. And you penned it down perfectly.
On the issue , did you check the fuel pump relay? The new bosch fi units are a reliable bunch.
For the next time do add some kind of cable to work as jumpers in case your battery needs auxiliary juice. And do check the relays.

Sent from my RMX1851 using Tapatalk

Wow such a day you had. And you penned it down perfectly.
On the issue , did you check the fuel pump relay? The new bosch fi units are a reliable bunch.
For the next time do add some kind of cable to work as jumpers in case your battery needs auxiliary juice. And do check the relays.

To be Honest, I had no idea about Fuel Pump Relays, so didn't knew what else to look for.

Reactions: IJS
Update - Finally the Mechanic called and Pump motor is damaged as per him, replacement motor costs 4000 + Tank requires cleaning due to Rust build up.

Bike is fixed and now I have to build up courage again to go and get it back..

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
Update - Finally the Mechanic called and Pump motor is damaged as per him, replacement motor costs 4000 + Tank requires cleaning due to Rust build up.

Bike is fixed and now I have to build up courage again to go and get it back..
Use ola and get it back. Eat butter soaked parantha on the next brakefast ride.

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
Buying an RE is like playing juaa :)
When you win,it's great.
When not, remember,it's just a game
Even i am a juarri since Feb13 2020:lol:
Emotions caputured very well in your write up @phenom2879

Last edited: