Pangong and Nubra valley in October 3rd week

Hi,

We are two couples planning to take a flight to Leh on 19th October and then rent two bikes from there. Here's the itinerary we have planned:
19th October- Reach Leh (Local sightseeing, market etc.)
20th October- Rent bikes and visit Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill and Indus-Zanskar sangam.
21st October- Get our permits stamped from DC office for Nubra valley and Pangong Lake then free (we will book our permits online)
22nd October- Leave from Leh and reach Pangong lake. Stay will be either in Spangmik or Tangste (I heard that stay options are being banned near Pangong so we might stay at Tangste)
23rd October- Reach Leh by evening
24th October- Leave for Nubra valley and stay at Hunder.
25th October- Reach Leh by evening
26th October- Free
27th October- Fly back to Delhi

I am concerned that Khardungla and Changla might be snowed and riding on them will get difficult. We have two options and need help with both:
1. Should these dates be fine for riding there due to snow or should we reschedule the trip to 28th September- 5th October?
2. In case we don't reschedule and it snows at high altitudes, we may decide to hire a taxi for Nubra valley and Pangong, what would be the cost for 4?

Thanks!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Get the permit made on the 20th, so that you can leave for Nubra Valley on 21st.

You should visit Nubra Valley first, since it is at lower altitude than Pangong Tso.

Once you reach Nubra Valley, spend a couple of nights there, you can easily cover Turtuk, Thang, Hunder, Diskit, Sumur and Panamik during that time. Adding another day in Nubra will allow you to cover Warshi as well.

From Nubra Valley, there is no need to come back to Leh. Take the Agham – Shyok route to Pangong Tso, unless it is blocked.

If you are spending a couple of nights in Nubra Valley, then you should have a couple of days free, which can be used to either visit Tso Moriri or Dah and Hanu.

Preponing the trip would be a good idea, if you are planning to ride. Problem with late October is not only snow at high altitude passes, but also black ice, which can form almost anywhere en route. Most of the hotels will be closed around that time as well and so would be the bike rentals.

Taxi ought to cost around 20-22k for the Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso circuit, this is the cost of hiring an entire taxi, after discount.

Get the permit made on the 20th, so that you can leave for Nubra Valley on 21st.

You should visit Nubra Valley first, since it is at lower altitude than Pangong Tso.

Once you reach Nubra Valley, spend a couple of nights there, you can easily cover Turtuk, Thang, Hunder, Diskit, Sumur and Panamik during that time. Adding another day in Nubra will allow you to cover Warshi as well.

From Nubra Valley, there is no need to come back to Leh. Take the Agham – Shyok route to Pangong Tso, unless it is blocked.

If you are spending a couple of nights in Nubra Valley, then you should have a couple of days free, which can be used to either visit Tso Moriri or Dah and Hanu.

Preponing the trip would be a good idea, if you are planning to ride. Problem with late October is not only snow at high altitude passes, but also black ice, which can form almost anywhere en route. Most of the hotels will be closed around that time as well and so would be the bike rentals.

Taxi ought to cost around 20-22k for the Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso circuit, this is the cost of hiring an entire taxi, after discount.
Thanks Yogesh. Do you know the road status of Agham-Shyok route? I will also check this with locals once there but I have heard that road is mostly broken or non-existent on this route?

gkapoor

Super User
And be well prepared for the cold- riding on bike in late october.
Better would be to rent bike for a day or two when exploring leh and around. For nubra pangong etc, get a taxi and relax.

Thanks Yogesh. Do you know the road status of Agham-Shyok route? I will also check this with locals once there but I have heard that road is mostly broken or non-existent on this route?
agham shyok was newly laid last year. It was very fine now. A friend of mine went in May 2019 end there. We have planned in september 12 - 18.

Dushie

Just covered Agham -Shyok route 2 days back and it's in excellent condition. Really enjoyed the drive.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

amtesh

is it possible to get shared taxi from nubra to pangong in september???