PC feeling Slow

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Hi,

I have a 4 year old PC with i5 2500k CPU & 4 GB Ram. Lately it has been feeling slower. It hangs up when I open a 25-50MB file in corel draw 11 or whatsapp web or similar. What could be the culprit? Can a fully utilized Hard Drive cause this issue? Should I install more RAM or a Graphics Card?

Regards

Prasham

How to know which kind of RAM is installed in the PC? Is it possible to do so without opening the cabinet?

EDIT: I just figured out how to find the type of RAM... So next query... Can I used 1333 MHz type DDR3 RAM with and 1600 MHz type DDR3 Ram together or should I keep both the RAMs of same frequency? Also which brand to be preferred, Transcend or Samsung?

Last edited:

Admin01

Administrator
Technically speaking, it is always best to use two sticks of same speed, manufacturer and model. However, you can mix and match as well. Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, Transcend, Samsung etc. are all fine, though the first 3 are generally better performing.

Prasham

Is it possible that fully utilized HDD may be slowing down the response? I've deleted about 100 GB of movies and the programs feels much faster than before.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Install Speccy to know about Hardware and Software details.

Speccy 1.31.732

Hi,

I have a 4 year old PC with i5 2500k CPU & 4 GB Ram. Lately it has been feeling slower. It hangs up when I open a 25-50MB file in corel draw 11 or whatsapp web or similar. What could be the culprit? Can a fully utilized Hard Drive cause this issue? Should I install more RAM or a Graphics Card?

Regards
Try Glarysoft for cleaning up temporary files automatically.

Glary Utilities - Free System Utilities to Clean Registry, Fix PC Errors, Protect Privacy | Glarysoft

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Is it possible that fully utilized HDD may be slowing down the response? I've deleted about 100 GB of movies and the programs feels much faster than before.
Donot keep much stuff on desktop and root drive.
Empty your temp file folders and prefetch entries etc.
Check settings of your Anti-Virus S/w.
Check applications getting started in background while booting and on their own.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Yes.
As told by SOT ji
Keep C drive clutter free.
If HDD is 3-4 years old, it can also be a problem.
Better buy SSD for boot drive as suggested.
I am happy with my SSD drive using from last 3-4 years.
Boot time is stunningly less and everything moves fast.

Admin01

Administrator
Actually it is best to avoid using software “cleaners”. Windows already has a disk cleanup utility built in, and it does a good job.

As a rule of thumb, the more software or app you install, the worse your PC/Mobile phone performance is going to be. Add to that, these utilities auto launch at startup, slowing down the computer even more. Best bet is to uninstall any software you haven’t used in a month.