Personal Cloud Storage

amitw79

Super User
If you can plug things to the router, then get an off the shelf NAS. It would be easier to setup and manage. However, if you want one, which connects wirelessly to your router, then you need to build one. Essentially NAS is nothing but a computer with software meant to manage data.
How does this solution sound to you?

I install a repeater in the first floor in computer room and hook it up to WIFI network.
Then I hook up the NAS device to LAN port of the repeater.
I am presuming the speed of the NAS won't be at par as compared to direct hooking it up with router but still it should be workable.

I am trying to do all this to avoid placing NAS next to WIFI router.
Wifi Router at my place is at ground floor behind TV mount+stand and other devices like ipTV, VOIP Landline phone etc are already hooked to the router.
Also, I want to place it such a way so that it is non reachable to my naughty 5 year old son :)

Admin01

Administrator
You can do that, however, in that case you need a NAS which has ethernet port. Unless you plan to buy another WiFi router with USB ports and use it as a repeater.

amitw79

Super User

Admin01

Administrator
Essentially you can use just about any USB drive (be it external drive or even a pen drive) as NAS, as long as your router supports it. This turns out to be way cheaper, as long as you don’t need multi drive array.

If you’re going in for a standalone NAS, especially a NAS enclosure, my recommendation would be to get at least 2 bay NAS, even if you don’t need it right now. That way you will have future expandability.

amitw79

Super User
Essentially you can use just about any USB drive (be it external drive or even a pen drive) as NAS, as long as your router supports it.
My router at home does support it and I can hook any USB based drive to the router but it won't make it cloud enabled.

But yes, getting a 2 bay NAS is definitely worth considering.

Admin01

Administrator
Frankly speaking, you are better off getting a cheap cloud storage account than exposing your network and drive to the internet. You can even get servers for US$15-20 a month on rent.

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Please consider it as a noob question but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer from my online search yet.

Are there any solution out there in which NAS drive connects to network using wifi and not only ethernet?
I am thinking about setting up personal cloud storage but not being able to connect to wifi router wirelessly is sort of a deterrent for me, as the internet router is at ground floor of the house and I want to setup the NAS devices on first floor in the computer room.
Theoretically, you should be able to connect your NAS to Wifi router by connecting a Wireless Network Adapter to your NAS USB Port. I am not sure if your NAS supports it.

Synology NAS supports plugging USB wireless dongle. Verified this here
https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=products&category=usb_wifi_dongles&p=1&product_bays=EmbeddedDataStation&product_name=EDS14&not_recommend_mode=false

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Isn't it possible to configure a new network using a computer in your "Computer room"? and plug your NAS into your computer directly.

rahi

Thanks for above posts. :) Keep enlightening the not so technologically savvy members like me..

Last edited: