Petrol and diesel prices hiked

Sunilg

hibernated traveler
The prices have gone up here in UK too, now petrol is retailing for around 1.029 Pounds per litre.
what?? Then what did they invade Iraq for if they cannot get cheap gas for their people?
:confused: :rolleyes:

suggestion for Brits: Call all your military men from Iraq and start digging your own soil, maybe you'll find an oil field or two in your own backyard to support your needs (its mucho less expensive than what you are currently doing in Iraq) :cool: :grin::grin::grin:

abhijithora

nice suggestions..firangiyoo ko :grin:

@Sunil: You can join as a manager there advicing them where and when to dig

adv.sunny

the touring Seikh
suggestion for Brits: Call all your military men from Iraq and start digging your own soil, maybe you'll find an oil field or two in your own backyard to support your needs (its mucho less expensive than what you are currently doing in Iraq) :cool: :grin::grin::grin:[/QUOTE]

well said :mrgreen:

popsha

Incredible Bulk
The prices of petrol in UK are not high because there's a shortage of supply.

The tax structure makes the prices go high. The people should mind paying a slighty higher price for petrol if it guarantees that the roads across the nation remain in emmaculate condition round the year.

Also if you compare in purchaing power parity terms its much more cheaper than in India.

A back of envelop calculation

If I take 15000 as a normal urban salary and the price of petrol as 50 - then you can buy 300 litres of petrol from your salary
Here a salary of 1500 GBP can be considered normal - so you can buy 1500 litres of petrol from your salary

And a R1 is 5 months of your salary that makes it as easy to buy as a P220 in India (still at 15k INR PM).. now who will mind the high petrol prices.

So even if we consider that food and housing are much more expensive than India ... still the dent made by fuel costs on your salary/savings is not much.

Edit: US has cheap petrol but then you have to spend thousands of dollars on basic medical treatment incase you have a minor crash. Here if you need treatment, its free and you get an allowance to get a cab home as you are injured.

PS: Do agree with you on the shit they are doing in IRAQ

Last edited:

darkside_of_d_sun

Staff member
Its not the hike in fuel prices which is a worry - but the after effects of essential food and other commodities which will have a price surge on this excuse which bothers me.

Shamik

codelust

Shyam
Its not the hike in fuel prices which is a worry - but the after effects of essential food and other commodities which will have a price surge on this excuse which bothers me.

Shamik
Exactly. I have always kind of been iffy about rushing to the pump to tank up on the eve of every 1 rupee hike. I can easily save more than that by consuming one bottle less of fine whiskey (or even avoid it completely) every month or for smokers (ex smoker here), by reducing or quitting smoking, if we are that serious about pinching pennies.

As Shamik mentioned, the bigger hit comes from the prices of essential things going up as a result of this which can accumulate into significant cost increases that you can't do much about.

popsha

Incredible Bulk

Shamik
Why can't we have Everyday Low Price (EDLP) system for Petrol/Diesel in India. Why do people make so much hue an cry whenever someone talks about it.

They do not mind the everyday fluctuating prices of everything else including fruits/vegetables etc.

EDLP essentialy means that the companies reflect the price of crude on the price of petrol, this in return ensures that the companies do not get into loss or recovery mode due to price sustainance.

EDLP can also ensure that the transporters can not jack the price of essential commoditites up and keep them up even after the prices of petroleum have fallen. The price of tomato in Delhi, goes up everytime their is increase in the price of diesel, as it comes from Andhra, but it never goes down the day diesel prices are lowered to match lower crude prices.

Last edited: