Petrol Or Diesel: Spirit Or Oil

RiderofOulgaret

well this an age old query for the uninitiated , rookie,first time car buyers, as to which car to buy, what fuel version to go for. in today's scenario, this debate hots up, not just because of a beginner's query, but due to the widening gap between petrol and diesel prices and how it will affect us, as automobile enthusiasts,tourers, and the daily commuter.

just like that situation when you have to decide what road to take ,

here one road, a really big wide road, one that seems really "refined" , silent, assures you ultimate sprint friendly driving pleasure at all speeds, is low on fumes, and seems to promise cheaper maintenance and arguably a longer vehicle life.

well this road called PETROL , with all its shine and lacquer, once frequented by the elite and masses, seems to be getting much more narrower with the PETROL MAFIA at work , as a result the ninth hike in petrol prices see the countrymen having to shell out 63.37 rs petrol in the pampered capital, while the rest of nation needing to shell out another more 5 rupees for the same

well , here i come to think of the other road, a road called DIESEL...considered once by the elite as the "too noisy " "too smelly", and shunned equally by the enthusiasts and car manufacturers , when compared to petrol's.

Time moved on ,and Diesel saw most of the travellers frequenting the " cleaner" lanes of petrol , while some enthusiasts, agriculturists, and those who truly loved their diesels stuck on this road less travelled.

TODAY , the once "believed to be pristine" road called petrol seems to be all clogged up, with the millions of bikes and cars bursting at seams.

well the govt saw the divide, and i don't why it let go of its control over petrol prices, some say it still controls petrol price, it never bothered to think that this fuel , which once costed 1.25 rs a liter in the capital in the 70's , today stands at rs 63.37, an almost 60 times hike ..............

now the road called DIESEL smiled.....and what a smile :grin: he got
all those who once thought his alleys to be "smelly,dirty bad for cars" now seemed to be flocking to this very road.
The mile munching community, which might have had ditched the petrol , or might have flirted with both , now fully "changed sides" and the DIESELISATION of the market began

today , the diesel road seems almost as pristine as the petrol , the world over,
it provides almost all the kicks the petrol does and that too with a much lesser damage to the wallet

the car makers too smiled, and rates of diesel cars shot up , with bigger differences of car versions between the petrol and diesel

amidst all this slugfest of petrol vs diesel , came CNG and LPG, albeit , not fully embraced by enthusiasts, .

so in you view

IS DIESEL THE NEW PETROL?

WILL GOVT HOLD ITS SUBSIDY ON DIESEL FOR LONG? OR WILL THE DIESEL TOO GO THE PETROL'S WAY?

DOES THE NOTION THAT YOU IF U DRIVE LESS THAN 800-1000 KM U BUY A PETROL STILL HOLD TRUE?

OR SHOULD EVERYONE BUY A DIESEL? OR A CNG for that sake?

your views

Scorpion King

Based on my own observation what I can say is that the bulk of private car users don't really use their cars that much. For instance my diesel swift has crossed 40,000 kms in 3 years of usage while older cars in my building are still in the 20,000 kms region. So if the running is going to be that low it makes more sense to own a petrol car rather than paying the high price for a diesel car. Plus I am sure the gap in fuel prices will narrow down once again, or should I say narrow UP hehe.
As a forum of tourers we guys clock a lot of miles on the highway but the average Indian would prefer hiring a Tourist vehicle or flying down or going by train depending on circumstance.
Mumbai Pune Mumbai is like a walk in the park for me and quite a few people I know but it is like a Himalayan expedition to most of the people I know. So going for a diesel does not make sense if all one wants to do is go on an occasional drive or a weekend getaway.

well this an age old query for the uninitiated , rookie,first time car buyers, as to which car to buy, what fuel version to go for. in today's scenario, this debate hots up, not just because of a beginner's query, but due to the widening gap between petrol and diesel prices and how it will affect us, as automobile enthusiasts,tourers, and the daily commuter.

just like that situation when you have to decide what road to take ,

here one road, a really big wide road, one that seems really "refined" , silent, assures you ultimate sprint friendly driving pleasure at all speeds, is low on fumes, and seems to promise cheaper maintenance and arguably a longer vehicle life.

well this road called PETROL , with all its shine and lacquer, once frequented by the elite and masses, seems to be getting much more narrower with the PETROL MAFIA at work , as a result the ninth hike in petrol prices see the countrymen having to shell out 63.37 rs petrol in the pampered capital, while the rest of nation needing to shell out another more 5 rupees for the same

well , here i come to think of the other road, a road called DIESEL...considered once by the elite as the "too noisy " "too smelly", and shunned equally by the enthusiasts and car manufacturers , when compared to petrol's.

Time moved on ,and Diesel saw most of the travellers frequenting the " cleaner" lanes of petrol , while some enthusiasts, agriculturists, and those who truly loved their diesels stuck on this road less travelled.

TODAY , the once "believed to be pristine" road called petrol seems to be all clogged up, with the millions of bikes and cars bursting at seams.

well the govt saw the divide, and i don't why it let go of its control over petrol prices, some say it still controls petrol price, it never bothered to think that this fuel , which once costed 1.25 rs a liter in the capital in the 70's , today stands at rs 63.37, an almost 60 times hike ..............

now the road called DIESEL smiled.....and what a smile :grin: he got
all those who once thought his alleys to be "smelly,dirty bad for cars" now seemed to be flocking to this very road.
The mile munching community, which might have had ditched the petrol , or might have flirted with both , now fully "changed sides" and the DIESELISATION of the market began

today , the diesel road seems almost as pristine as the petrol , the world over,
it provides almost all the kicks the petrol does and that too with a much lesser damage to the wallet

the car makers too smiled, and rates of diesel cars shot up , with bigger differences of car versions between the petrol and diesel

amidst all this slugfest of petrol vs diesel , came CNG and LPG, albeit , not fully embraced by enthusiasts, .

so in you view

IS DIESEL THE NEW PETROL?

WILL GOVT HOLD ITS SUBSIDY ON DIESEL FOR LONG? OR WILL THE DIESEL TOO GO THE PETROL'S WAY?

DOES THE NOTION THAT YOU IF U DRIVE LESS THAN 800-1000 KM U BUY A PETROL STILL HOLD TRUE?

OR SHOULD EVERYONE BUY A DIESEL? OR A CNG for that sake?

your views
Abhinav,

Very nicely written. Th complete "Dieselisation" of Car Market is yet to happen, with almost all companies rolling our diesel cars (just wait for i10, Santro, Beat, even Nano to come in diesel avatars in the next couple of years).

The disparity in prices of both fuels will continue in times to come (our democracy is dependant on the politics of votes (sic), and the better economic sense will not prevail in our pseudo brainy politicos, who are more concerned about their own economic health (frequent & rampant scams prove this), rather the nation's.

Petrol will further move up (may reach 100/- in a couple of years), so will diesel, but not at the same pace. So it definately makes sense going for a diesel car (now with much refined engines dolling out a better mileage), if one clocks over a 1000 km a month.

Based on my own observation what I can say is that the bulk of private car users don't really use their cars that much. For instance my diesel swift has crossed 40,000 kms in 3 years of usage while older cars in my building are still in the 20,000 kms region. So if the running is going to be that low it makes more sense to own a petrol car rather than paying the high price for a diesel car. Plus I am sure the gap in fuel prices will narrow down once again, or should I say narrow UP hehe.
As a forum of tourers we guys clock a lot of miles on the highway but the average Indian would prefer hiring a Tourist vehicle or flying down or going by train depending on circumstance.
Mumbai Pune Mumbai is like a walk in the park for me and quite a few people I know but it is like a Himalayan expedition to most of the people I know. So going for a diesel does not make sense if all one wants to do is go on an occasional drive or a weekend getaway.
Rightly put by Rohan, our driving habits also do matter when choosing petrol or diesel. If one drives just 800-1000 km a month, then going for a diesel might not make sense, just because it is cheaper, and pay more for the diesel version (well atleast a lac more). But going forward, the presence of diesel cars will definately increase on the roads.

RiderofOulgaret

Abhinav,

Very nicely written. Th complete "Dieselisation" of Car Market is yet to happen, with almost all companies rolling our diesel cars (just wait for i10, Santro, Beat, even Nano to come in diesel avatars in the next couple of years).

The disparity in prices of both fuels will continue in times to come (our democracy is dependant on the politics of votes (sic), and the better economic sense will not prevail in our pseudo brainy politicos, who are more concerned about their own economic health (frequent & rampant scams prove this), rather the nation's.

Petrol will further move up (may reach 100/- in a couple of years), so will diesel, but not at the same pace. So it definately makes sense going for a diesel car (now with much refined engines dolling out a better mileage), if one clocks over a 1000 km a month.

Rightly put by Rohan, our driving habits also do matter when choosing petrol or diesel. If one drives just 800-1000 km a month, then going for a diesel might not make sense, just because it is cheaper, and pay more for the diesel version (well atleast a lac more). But going forward, the presence of diesel cars will definately increase on the roads.

How prophetic man....ten years back this post...and today petrol crossed 100 in many places.