Photography help

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Suresh Babu,
First image. I guess, this image was shot close to the subject. Flash blew up details in the shot. A simple diffuser would reduce this effect and soften the light.
Second image, Can you confirm your lens glass was clean enough? As venue is closed, there is little ambient light and flash has limited reach. An external flash would help. But again use a diffuser.

aroy

I would suggest the following

1. Shoot RAW. That gives you much more latitude in exposure control and you can recover shadows easily.
2. Please get a faster lens. Nikon 35mm F1.8 DX is your best bet. It should be between 7K and 9K depending on the schemes with e-commerce sites.

For close shots you can use the inbuilt flash.

Apart from that you need an external flash or (more expensive) external strobes with umbrellas. If you are being paid, then you can rent these.

D3100 is pretty old camera. It is fine in good light, but the low light performance (high ISO) is pretty bad. When ever possible upgrade to at least D3300 with its kit 18-55mm lens. It will do wonders to your photography. Here are a few indoor images with D3300 and 35mm, mostly at F/1.8

FSC_4921.jpg

FSC_4909.jpg

At the same time you get isolated portraits

FSC_4634.jpg

FSC_4914.jpg

Suresh Babu

Explorer
Thank you Aroy for valuable suggestion. I bought nikkor 35mm lens and sb910 flash and sure use it in low light. Will upload my new pics for review.

aroy

Thank you Aroy for valuable suggestion. I bought nikkor 35mm lens and sb910 flash and sure use it in low light. Will upload my new pics for review.
Now that you have spent so much, just upgrade the body. The difference between D3100 and D3300 is vast
. More MP
. Better high ISO
. Faster Video
. Faster Burst rate
. NO AA filter = sharper images
. Better battery performance

I guess that you can sell off the D3100 for 10K or less. With D3300 going for 24K your incremental investment will be much less than SB910.

Best of luck.

NOTE
The reason I like the D3300 is that it is a no frill body, with no bells and whistle, but IQ as good as the D5xxx and the D7xxx bodies. It is also the lightest body and coupled with 35mm DX lens it weigs practically nothing.

Suresh Babu

Explorer
I just spend now on nikkor lens and flash, let me wait for good bonus and overtime from company to get Nikon 7200 as fianl:rolleyes:. Now in search of filters, diffusers and other small items which will not drain my pocket.O:)