Photography help

nadz11.ns

Super User
Sorry for butting in the discussion.

From what I understood from this thread is, one can get high-quality results with a good lens even when used on a relatively older body. And not straight away look for a higher spec body and use it with a relatively slower lens.

hensil

Guru
The most important issue and often the most overlooked is skill. As we plan our gear upgrade path, we should also plan our skill upgrade plan. It is easy to own great gear but extremely difficult to use them even to a fraction of their potential. My two cents
I totally agree with you.
It's easier to learn to drive Maruthi 800 than a Ferrari.
Henry

aroy

I totally agree with you.
It's easier to learn to drive Maruthi 800 than a Ferrari.
Henry
And then there are places that you can take your Maruti but cannot Ferrari
. Crowded markets - tight parking
. Bad roads - the Ferrari will bottom out and damage itself

Jokes apart, it is easier to use a dumb camera like a cell phone, every thing is automated, but for a sophisticated camera you have to learn all about the various options till you can get a reasonable image. There are a lot of posts on he net where a novice complained that their brand new DSLR gave poor output compared to the cheap P&S they had been using.

aroy

I just spend now on nikkor lens and flash, let me wait for good bonus and overtime from company to get Nikon 7200 as fianl:rolleyes:. Now in search of filters, diffusers and other small items which will not drain my pocket.O:)
I would suggest that you avoid cheap filters. Use either Hoya or B&W. Both are good. The B&W and Hoya high end have thinner profile and are coated with dust and fingerprint repelling coating.

When considering tripods and ball head, avoid cheap ones. Search the net for comparisons with Manfroto and similar ones. These cost upwards of 14K, but will last a lifetime. Cheaper tripods are not only flimsy, but can collapse under offset loads and ruin your equipment, apart from vibrating in windy conditions.

aroy

Sorry for butting in the discussion.

From what I understood from this thread is, one can get high-quality results with a good lens even when used on a relatively older body. And not straight away look for a higher spec body and use it with a relatively slower lens.
That is true. You can also get excellent results with a cell phone if the light is good and the scene fills your viewfinder. Here are some with a 5MP Nokia

20120817-132.jpg

20120817-138.jpg

20131124-023.jpg

20131124-077.jpg