We (Shubham-Son, Deba - Myself, Karabi - my better half, SDK) have moved to Hyderabad from Pune around a year back. Initially we were missing all the weekend gateways that we had near Pune. But after some exploration we have found that every place in India is worth to explore.

We (Myself and my better half Karabi) will be posting here about the places where you can plan to travel for a day trip or 2-4 days trips. As it is not about just one destination, we will be updating/adding as we explore more. Please feel free to suggest me places too if you have visited there and found good (within 1000 kms radius from Hyderabad)

TOC:
Srisailam-Ethipothala water fall-Nagarjuna Sagar Dam->Link
Pocharam Dam->Link
Bogatha Water Fall and Laknavaram Lake->Link

Hope you will enjoy it.
Cheers,
Deba.

Last edited:
We decided to go to Srisailam for the first time. We heard that there are many attraction points there. From Hyderabad we decided to take NH 765. From my home the distance is about 245kms and the google map was estimating the drive time as 4.5 hours.

We started the drive at around 6:45AM. It is going to be a day drive so no luggage was required. We only packed emergency things. We took the Outer Ring Road (ORR) and people who have experienced the ORR would say that it is one of the best road in India. We took the exit 14 from ORR towards Srisailam on NH 765.

NH 765 is in great condition. It does not have divider but you can easily drive at 100. The traffic is less. There are very few eateries (family) on the way. So you need to take a break before the Ghat/jungle area starts.
DSC_9987.JPG

It goes through thick forest and fantastic ghat roads. Drive slow, open the windows, and enjoy the drive. Once you reach near to Srisailam you will get views of the river. And the view is mesmerizing. See it for youself below:

DSC_9993.JPG

DSC_9994.JPG

If you go forward you will reach Srisailam Dam. Take a break and enjoy the beauty.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0008.JPG

The best time is go in mid to end season of rain when you can see the dam in full capacity. And if you are lucky you can see it when the dam gates are open too.
The Srisailam is near from this dam. Once you reach Srisailam find a place to park your car. In off season (temple off season) it is not very difficult to find a parking place. After that you need to walk towards the temple. The temple has three separate queue. First one is free, second is 100 rs, and third is 500 rs. If you have more money may be they can directly take you to god. The temple is beautiful but you can see only iron cages which you have to follow for darshan. The Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple located in Srisailam is one of the 12 Jyotirlinga temples dedicated to Lord Shiva.

DSC_0036.jpg

Once you come out there are multiple places where you can eat. There are few pay and use toilets which also you can use there.
We finished our lunch at around 2 PM. We were not sure whether to go back to home or to go to Ethipothala Falls. Srisailam to Ethipothala was around 3:15 hrs (~170 km) drive as per google. After some discussion we decided to give it a try. Please note you can plan to explore Srisailam more and can spend few days too.
The road from Srisailam to Ethipothala is narrow and many places the roads are very bad. It is so bad that you can feel it even in Safari.
But once you reach Ethipothala you can relax and rejuvenate yourself. There is a small park where kids can spend some time. There is a place to eat and toilet is also available. There are few temples also nearby.
Below are some views of Ethipothala water fall:

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0067.jpg
After this we planned to go back home. Ethipothala to my home is around 220km and 4 hrs drive. And on the way you will see Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. It is one of the top five Dams in India. Till 1:00 PM they allow visitors to go to dam but after that you can always enjoy the view from distance. We were very lucky to see it just before sun set from a nearby bridge. (good part is, it is allowed to take photographs of the dam).

DSC_0077.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG
We started our journey back to Hyderabad after the sun set . The roads are ok to good. Afterwards as you come near to Hyderabad it becomes excellent. It was drizzling and I was enjoying the night driving in rain. Once we reached ORR we realized that I am about to complete 1 Lakh km in my Tata Safari.
Almost at the exit of the ORR we completed 1L kms

IMG_20160918_211102.jpg

We celebrated it by having dinner at KFC and we reached home at around 10PM after a 640km drive.

My suggestions:
1. For Srisailam plan for one night stay at Srisailam. There are other routes too. I will share those once I go through those.
2. For Ethipothala and Nagarjuna sagar dam - Start early from Hyd, visit Shiridi Sai Baba Temple, then go to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam before 1PM, then go to Ethipothala and come back in the evening.

DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0046 (1).jpg
DSC_0065.jpg

Last edited:

Suneesh Sharma

Love my Iron Beast
We decided to go to Srisailam for the first time. We heard that there are many attraction points there. From Hyderabad we decided to take NH 765. From my home the distance is about 245kms and the google map was estimating the drive time as 4.5 hours.

We started the drive at around 6:45AM. It is going to be a day drive so no luggage was required. We only packed emergency things. We took the Outer Ring Road (ORR) and people who have experienced the ORR would say that it is one of the best road in India. We took the exit 14 from ORR towards Srisailam on NH 765.

NH 765 is in great condition. It does not have divider but you can easily drive at 100. The traffic is less. There are very few eateries (family) on the way. So you need to take a break before the Ghat/jungle area starts.
View attachment 691326
It goes through thick forest and fantastic ghat roads. Drive slow, open the windows, and enjoy the drive. Once you reach near to Srisailam you will get views of the river. And the view is mesmerizing. See it for youself below:
View attachment 691327
View attachment 691329

If you go forward you will reach Srisailam Dam. Take a break and enjoy the beauty.
View attachment 691337
View attachment 691338
View attachment 691339
View attachment 691342
View attachment 691344
View attachment 691345
The best time is go in mid to end season of rain when you can see the dam in full capacity. And if you are lucky you can see it when the dam gates are open too.
The Srisailam is near from this dam. Once you reach Srisailam find a place to park your car. In off season (temple off season) it is not very difficult to find a parking place. After that you need to walk towards the temple. The temple has three separate queue. First one is free, second is 100 rs, and third is 500 rs. If you have more money may be they can directly take you to god. The temple is beautiful but you can see only iron cages which you have to follow for darshan. The Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple located in Srisailam is one of the 12 Jyotirlinga temples dedicated to Lord Shiva.
View attachment 691346
Once you come out there are multiple places where you can eat. There are few pay and use toilets which also you can use there.
We finished our lunch at around 2 PM. We were not sure whether to go back to home or to go to Ethipothala Falls. Srisailam to Ethipothala was around 3:15 hrs (~170 km) drive as per google. After some discussion we decided to give it a try. Please note you can plan to explore Srisailam more and can spend few days too.
The road from Srisailam to Ethipothala is narrow and many places the roads are very bad. It is so bad that you can feel it even in Safari.
But once you reach Ethipothala you can relax and rejuvenate yourself. There is a small park where kids can spend some time. There is a place to eat and toilet is also available. There are few temples also nearby.
Below are some views of Ethipothala water fall:
View attachment 691348
View attachment 691350
View attachment 691351
View attachment 691352
View attachment 691353
View attachment 691349
View attachment 691355
After this we planned to go back home. Ethipothala to my home is around 220km and 4 hrs drive. And on the way you will see Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. It is one of the top five Dams in India. Till 1:00 PM they allow visitors to go to dam but after that you can always enjoy the view from distance. We were very lucky to see it just before sun set from a nearby bridge. (good part is, it is allowed to take photographs of the dam).
View attachment 691356 View attachment 691357 View attachment 691358 View attachment 691359
We started our journey back to Hyderabad after the sun set . The roads are ok to good. Afterwards as you come near to Hyderabad it becomes excellent. It was drizzling and I was enjoying the night driving in rain. Once we reached ORR we realized that I am about to complete 1 Lakh km in my Tata Safari.
Almost at the exit of the ORR we completed 1L kms
View attachment 691360
We celebrated it by having dinner at KFC and we reached home at around 10PM after a 640km drive.

My suggestions:
1. For Srisailam plan for one night stay at Srisailam. There are other routes too. I will share those once I go through those.
2. For Ethipothala and Nagarjuna sagar dam - Start early from Hyd, visit Shiridi Sai Baba Temple, then go to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam before 1PM, then go to Ethipothala and come back in the evening.

View attachment 691340

View attachment 691341

View attachment 691343

View attachment 691347

View attachment 691354
Simply amazing.....pics are too good

Thanks,
Suneesh Sharma

Pocharam Dam: It is 15 kms from Medak and around 100kms from Hyderabad. Its a nice picnic place. It has no facilities around like food etc so carry something with you. If you just want to spend 1-2 hrs in a different place you can go there. It should be visited during or just after rain because other time there will not be much water.
NH44 is in good condition and even after that the roads are all good. Last few kms goes through mud roads and there are very few parking.
Below are some of pictures.
DSC_9324.JPG
DSC_9347.JPG
DSC_9354.JPG
DSC_9357.JPG
DSC_9368.JPG
IMAG0042.JPG
My suggestion: If you are sitting at home and nothing else to do, then just go there and spend some time. If you have few friends then you can have a good picnic too.

Last edited:
Enjoyed it thoroughly, SDK :)
Thanks a lot :)

Simply amazing.....pics are too good

Thanks,
Suneesh Sharma
Thanks a lot :)

Great !
Great !
Great !
Great !
Great !
Thanks a lot. Hope you enjoy the other posts.

Few of the things that is going to come here:
1. Drive to Goa (~700km)
2. Drive to Pondicherry (~850km)
3. Ramoji film city
4. Golkanda fort
5. Ananthagiri Hill
6. Laknavaram lake
7. Hampi

Cheers,
Deba.

sunil84

Debashis Superb Pics...Srisailam dam gates are now open because of huge inflow from Tungabadra..

Nagarjuna sagar is 60kms from my hometown(Miryalaguda) ..used to visit very often in childhood..hardly visited 1-2 times in 10 yrs after moving to Hyderabad

Debashis Superb Pics...Srisailam dam gates are now open because of huge inflow from Tungabadra..

Nagarjuna sagar is 60kms from my hometown(Miryalaguda) ..used to visit very often in childhood..hardly visited 1-2 times in 10 yrs after moving to Hyderabad
Great to know Bro. That day I was not that lucky to see the open gates. I will try next year again if there is good rain. Right now I am going to visit all other monsoon attractions :)

Bogatha Water Fall and Laknavaram Lake:
One of my Safari (SOUL) friend told me about Bogatha water fall. It is not that known place but the video he shared was promising. We were planning to go to Laknavaram lake which comes on the way to Bogatha. So we decided to do both.
It is going to be a long drive for a day but even my 3 yr old son don't mind loooong drives. We started from home at 6:20AM. We took the ORR. First approx 70km from my home the road was good having a divider and rest of the roads does not have any road divider.
We saw Bhongir fort on our left.
DSC_0220.jpg

It was built in the 10th century on an isolated monolithic rock by the Western Chalukya ruler Tribhuvanamalla Vikramaditya VI and was thus named after him as Tribhuvanagiri. If you go other side of the mountain you can see more clear view of the fort. We didn't stop as we have to go long. After few mins we found a hotel on our right "Hotel Vivera". We decided to stop there for breakfast.
IMG_20161002_083401.jpg
The hotel is clean, having ample parking place and food is also good. We finished our breakfast and started from there at around 8:30AM. I kept driving and stooped few times only for bio break.
Few pics on the way:
DSC_0225.jpg
DSC_0237.jpg
DSC_0239.jpg
DSC_0243.jpg
DSC_0244.jpg
DSC_0246.jpg
We reached Bogatha water fall at 12:40. There were no signs and whatever is written also is in local language. So I was mostly depending on google maps. Once we reached near the site we had to leave the main road and drive on mud for round 1 km. We found there were many people reached there and it had a big parking area too (natural open area).
Once we parked our car we need to walk for around 1 km. And as we neared to the water fall we could hear the sound of water.
DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg
It was not raining and with sun on our head, it felt very hot. Initially we were thinking that if all this pain is worth it. But the moment we saw the water fall all our fatigue went away.
DSC_0267.jpg
We saw these balancing stones. I am not sure if it is part of any rituals.
Now here is the waterfall.

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg
DSC_0315.jpg
Myself and Om enjoyed more than an our in the water. The water was very clean. You can see the stones inside the water. Lots of families were enjoying there.
The walk back to the car was difficult because of too much heat. I felt better only after starting the car AC to highest. Myself and Om changed our clothes and started the car around 2:10PM.
DSC_0318.jpg

This is the bridge on Godavari river

Our next stop was Laknavaram. It's a lake converted to tourist attraction. There is a small island at the middle where they have built a restaurant and the approach is through a hanging bridge, which is the main attraction of the place. The hotel and the facility managed by government under Haritha brand. We reached Laknavaram at around 3:45PM. The bridge is nice. We directly went to the restaurant as we were very hungry. They had only veg buffet option. The food is just ok.

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

The restaurant had a lake view. We finished our lunch by 4:30PM. They had different water sport. We didn't try because we were not confident with Om. Om played in children area. We enjoyed the lake view.
We started from there at around 5PM. It was dark very soon. I enjoyed the night drive in without divider road.
We reached home at 9:30PM. Total 662kms and approximate 15hrs trip.
My suggestions:
1. Bogatha is around 300km from Hyd. If you are not comfortable with this long drive in a day then you can plan to stay in some place. You can even stay in Laknavaram Haritha hotel.
2. At Bogatha the main fun is when you go inside the water. So carry extra cloths and be ready for going to get wet.
3. Carry enough food with you. You may not find any good restaurant around Bogatha.
4. Keep enough time. Plan for atleast 2-3 hrs or more.

Last edited: