Planning trip to Kalpa in March End. Suggestions reqd

CADA

Hi friends. I am planning a trip to Kalpa in march end with my wife and 2 kids (10year and 5 year). Need help w.r.t. finalising the itenerary and mode of travel. I have 5-6 days at hand. Plan is to start from Delhi at Friday night or saturday morning and reach Delhi back on Thursday morning. Kindly suggest an itenerary which can be followed and the various places to cover.

Tentative itenerary is as follows:

Friday : Start at night and reach Simla on saturday morning.
Saturday D1 : Simla to Sangla
Sunday D2: Sangla to Chitkul and return back to Sangla
Monday D3: Sangla to Kalpa
Tuesday D4 : Kalpa
Wednesday D5 : Kalpa to Narkanda/ Simla
Thursday D6 : Return to Delhi

1. Please suggest if the above itenerary seems ok or is it too stretched.
2. Also, what would be the places which would be preferrable for night halts.
3. Further, please suggest if I should hire a taxi/ cab directly from Delhi or should I take a bus to Simla and then take a taxi from there for the entire trip. Any recommended taxi operator?
4. Any hotel recommendations? Need it to be a moderate budget trip and wouldnot like to spend a lot. Hotel with normla amenities and cleaner rooms and bathrooms are my preferences.
5. Any precautions to be taken specially w.r.t. the kids.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Hi friends. I am planning a trip to Kalpa in march end with my wife and 2 kids (10year and 5 year). Need help w.r.t. finalising the itenerary and mode of travel. I have 5-6 days at hand. Plan is to start from Delhi at Friday night or saturday morning and reach Delhi back on Thursday morning. Kindly suggest an itenerary which can be followed and the various places to cover.

Tentative itenerary is as follows:

Friday : Start at night and reach Simla on saturday morning.
Saturday D1 : Simla to Sangla
Sunday D2: Sangla to Chitkul and return back to Sangla
Monday D3: Sangla to Kalpa
Tuesday D4 : Kalpa
Wednesday D5 : Kalpa to Narkanda/ Simla
Thursday D6 : Return to Delhi

1. Please suggest if the above itenerary seems ok or is it too stretched.
2. Also, what would be the places which would be preferrable for night halts.
3. Further, please suggest if I should hire a taxi/ cab directly from Delhi or should I take a bus to Simla and then take a taxi from there for the entire trip. Any recommended taxi operator?
4. Any hotel recommendations? Need it to be a moderate budget trip and wouldnot like to spend a lot. Hotel with normla amenities and cleaner rooms and bathrooms are my preferences.
5. Any precautions to be taken specially w.r.t. the kids.

Thanks in advance.

Bus to Shimla would be best bet. They usually start in eve from Delhi and reach Shimla in morning. you can hire a vehicle from Shimla for the rest of your trip. Instead of returning to Sangla on day 2 spend a night in Chitkul. On day 3 go from Chitkul to Kalpa.
Kalpa has a HPTDC and you can book it before hand. Chitkul and Sangla also has options but call them check them if they open in early March. Being off season you will get discounts.

For the precautions, keep a watch on weather. This year WDs have been hitting pretty regularly. In case they keep doing so till March then you might have some problems. I doubt you might get a taxi operator from Shimla with snowchains easily. Trust the instincts of the driver and do not go further if he suggests. Keep enough supply of food and water in your vehicle and carry ample woolens.

CADA

Bus to Shimla would be best bet. They usually start in eve from Delhi and reach Shimla in morning. you can hire a vehicle from Shimla for the rest of your trip. Instead of returning to Sangla on day 2 spend a night in Chitkul. On day 3 go from Chitkul to Kalpa.
Kalpa has a HPTDC and you can book it before hand. Chitkul and Sangla also has options but call them check them if they open in early March. Being off season you will get discounts.

For the precautions, keep a watch on weather. This year WDs have been hitting pretty regularly. In case they keep doing so till March then you might have some problems. I doubt you might get a taxi operator from Shimla with snowchains easily. Trust the instincts of the driver and do not go further if he suggests. Keep enough supply of food and water in your vehicle and carry ample woolens.
Thanks buddy.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
+1 to that. Even though it would be cheaper to hire a taxi from Delhi, hiring one from Shimla should ensure that you get a driver, who is used to driving on icy conditions.

You can also get in touch with @rkbharat, in case you’re looking to get a packaged tour.

CADA

+1 to that. Even though it would be cheaper to hire a taxi from Delhi, hiring one from Shimla should ensure that you get a driver, who is used to driving on icy conditions.

You can also get in touch with @rkbharat, in case you’re looking to get a packaged tour.
Ok. Thanks brother.

CADA

Ome more ques - will AMS be a problem at Chitkul? In my last August trip to Ladakh, both myself and my son (5 yr) were hit by AMS at Pangong.

gkapoor

Super User
Take night volvo from delhi to shimla, coordinate with taxi driver beforehand and get down from bus at victory tunnel around 4.30AM.
Get in taxi and start drive to kalpa. This is how we did it in March only. can easily reach kalpa around 2-3PM.

Night stays are must in Kapla, Sangla/Rakcham/Chitkul(either of these).

AMS should not be any issue as per me.

09418085846, 9817155846. Mr Sharma. Contact him for taxi. He is very experienced, gentle and warm person. Owns taxi business and drives clients himself too. Can give my reference- Gaurav Kapoor from Delhi (went to kalpa on holi some years back)

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Ome more ques - will AMS be a problem at Chitkul? In my last August trip to Ladakh, both myself and my son (5 yr) were hit by AMS at Pangong.

Chitkul is at a much lower altitude. So chances of getting hit by AMS is low. But for precautions keep some medicines.
Some natural remedies that will help a lot in fighting AMS - Desi Camphor, just wrap it in a cloth and then keep breathing through it. Helps a lot in fighting in AMS. Have personally tried it it works wonders. Also, garlic will help a lot as well.

CADA

Thanks Gaurav. In that case, should I go to Kalpa first and do Sangla and Chitkul thereafter?
Take night volvo from delhi to shimla, coordinate with taxi driver beforehand and get down from bus at victory tunnel around 4.30AM.
Get in taxi and start drive to kalpa. This is how we did it in March only. can easily reach kalpa around 2-3PM.

Night stays are must in Kapla, Sangla/Rakcham/Chitkul(either of these).

AMS should not be any issue as per me.

09418085846, 9817155846. Mr Sharma. Contact him for taxi. He is very experienced, gentle and warm person. Owns taxi business and drives clients himself too. Can give my reference- Gaurav Kapoor from Delhi (went to kalpa on holi some years back)

gkapoor

Super User
Thanks Gaurav. In that case, should I go to Kalpa first and do Sangla and Chitkul thereafter?

Can do in any order.
Its just that since on day 1 you will start early morning (4-5AM) from shimla, it will be easier to reach Kalpa comfortably. Else doing Kalpa to Shimla on return leg in one day MAY be tiresome considering one will not be able to leave that early from hotel in Kalpa (due morning chores, bfast, etc) as compared to getting down from bus and catching the taxi straightaway.