Portable AC Dilemma

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
I am thinking of installing a small split AC inside a four post bed that will be covered with upholstery to trap the cool air inside. Since the area to be cooled will be really small, I may install at 0.5 or 0.75 Ton split.

Got the idea from this.... https://tupik.in/index.php/tupik-products/

When I ran by the idea with my AC technician he suggested to buy 1 Ton at least as smaller ACs are very rare and I may have hard time finding spares later on. Has anyone here used / seen a 0.5/0.75 Ton split AC?

What should I do? Install a 0.5/0.75 Ton AC and take the gamble or Install 1 Ton AC? Not worried with upfront expense but should I use a 1 Ton AC for cooling area of 6x6x4.5 fts, won’t the AC trip too soon?

Last edited:

Admin01

Administrator
0.75 ton AC is fairly common, 0.5 ton I haven't seen in the market yet.

Having said that, wouldn’t it feel claustrophobic sleeping in such a small area?

Also, this would only be useful while sleeping. A normal 5 star unit would cool the entire room and still keep electricity bill down.

Prasham

0.75 ton AC is fairly common, 0.5 ton I haven't seen in the market yet.

Having said that, wouldn’t it feel claustrophobic sleeping in such a small area?

Also, this would only be useful while sleeping. A normal 5 star unit would cool the entire room and still keep electricity bill down.

Ok... So it should be okay if I install a 0.75 Ton Ac. Thanks for the input.

The room is on first floor of the bunglow and it will be used only for sleeping so don't need to cool the entire room, hence the decision.

Prasham

When a perfectly good, purpose built solution exists why would you be looking at reinventing the wheel?
And it is not an AC per se that you'd be looking at for this application. Think refrigerator.
I am okay with the available solution but it has 2 problems. The quality and design of upholstery used and noise of the portable AC being supplied in the package.

If I make a 4 post bed and cover it with decent upholstery, it will be better than the package when I include a standard split AC which will be much silent.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
... when I include a standard split AC which will be much silent.
The volume to be cooled is too small for an AC of even 0.5 ton capacity. It will keep cutting in and out. That will be bad for the compressor. You need a refrigerator compressor and cooling system for this job. Getting that purpose built as a split will be impractical. You could opt to keep the fridge in the room. That, in essence, is what this application needs - a fridge (with it's door removed) facing into the tent over your bed.

Prasham

As a solution of too quick tripping of Compressor, I believe we can keep some gap in the upholstery to leak the air out which may help to run the Compressor for little longer duration. Also if I opt for an inverter model that doesn't cut off the Compressor but just slows it down, will it still be bad?

skysat2005

Super User
You will be cooling the enclosed space and dissipating the heat in the room (as I can see in the photos, it's a window type AC).

Is the upholstery made of some insulation to prevent heat leak into enclosed space?

Given the small area, the compressor will go into cycling mode as said by Anup Sir, eventually killing the compressor motor prematurely.

skysat2005

Super User
...............................You could opt to keep the fridge in the room. That, in essence, is what this application needs - a fridge (with it's door removed) facing into the tent over your bed.
Sir the fridge evaporating and condensing temperatures are not designed for comfort cooling.

Prasham

You will be cooling the enclosed space and dissipating the heat in the room (as I can see in the photos, it's a window type AC).

Is the upholstery made of some insulation to prevent heat leak into enclosed space?

Given the small area, the compressor will go into cycling mode as said by Anup Sir, eventually killing the compressor motor prematurely.

1) I got the idea from the link. I am interested in using a small split AC and not the one shown on the website. So there is no issue of heat dissipation.

2) Smallest reliable ACs are of 0.75 Ton which are much larger for area to be cooled. So leakage of cool air isn't a problem. Infact I may have to keep upholstery open at places, on purpose to let the air leak to avoid compressor shutting on and off, very quickly.

What would happen if I buy an Inverter AC, as the compressor in those ACs aren't shut down but just slowed. Will using it in a small area cause harm to the compressor?